Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know the terms are short so do the students go home after each term or what?

ReputationRep:
    Most accommodation in college, you'll likely only have for the 8 weeks that you're here, and so most people go home.
    I know that for our 3rd/4th years who don't live in college, they get to stay a bit longer and so some stick around for a bit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Overseas students are usually allowed to stay if travelling back to their home country after each term would be impracticable, and home students can also stay a bit longer if they so wish. You'll have to pay for extra residence, though, and may be moved out of your room into other college accommodation if your college wants your room for conference guests. For most students it's easier and cheaper just to go home.

ReputationRep:
    do we have to completely clear out all our stuff at the end of each term too then? uhh, not looking forward to that journey 6 times a year! :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sarah182)
    do we have to completely clear out all our stuff at the end of each term too then? uhh, not looking forward to that journey 6 times a year! :p:
    Usually yes. Unless you're a graduate, in which case you'll get a different type of accommodation contract.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's hell! It's got to the stage with me now where I can only bring one parent because I just keep accumulating crap that I can't viably get rid of. I need a flat and I need one now .

ReputationRep:
    Do all the colleges have a system where you can put some of your stuff into a box and leave it in some designated storage space? If so, how much do you get?

I'll be traveling with a ~25kg baggage allowance, you guys from the UK have no idea how easy you have it :P .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Do all the colleges have a system where you can put some of your stuff into a box and leave it in some designated storage space? If so, how much do you get?

I'll be traveling with a ~25kg baggage allowance, you guys from the UK have no idea how easy you have it :P .
    If you're an international student you'll be given priority in terms of storage space. I don't know how much you'll be given, but they won't make you take everything home with you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It varies between colleges, I think. At Hilda's, international students would get to put up to five boxes or pieces of luggage into storage (more than that if you managed to charm the porters) and there were no restrictions as to size, so normally they'd be able to put all their stuff into storage, but I think I remember someone who was at Wadham telling me that they had size restrictions which meant that you could only leave a very limited amount of stuff in college storage. Obviously this may have changed by now, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Overseas students are usually allowed to stay if travelling back to their home country after each term would be impracticable, and home students can also stay a bit longer if they so wish. You'll have to pay for extra residence, though, and may be moved out of your room into other college accommodation if your college wants your room for conference guests. For most students it's easier and cheaper just to go home.

Considering this, do overseas students have to pay extra as well? And if so, can you ask the college for a vacation grant?

Edit:

In specific Magdalen college, if you know?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SanjaSharpe)
    Considering this, do overseas students have to pay extra as well?
    Usually yes. It's still extra residence, after all, even if you don't have much of a choice.:dontknow:
    And if so, can you ask the college for a vacation grant?

Edit:

In specific Magdalen college, if you know?
    No idea, sorry. But unless you have to get a very expensive flight (i.e. to Hongkong, New Zealand or the like), it'll nearly always work out cheaper for you just to go home over the vacation, especially since going home normally means that you won't have to pay for food etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Oxford also has commercial storage providers which are well geared up for students i.e. offering small storage spaces for short periods of time. I know a few international students who have used these (in addition to college storage) to avoid taking much home during vacations.

ReputationRep:
    Some colleges have vac stores which you can bung in all your stuff you're not going to need over the break.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Usually yes. It's still extra residence, after all, even if you don't have much of a choice.:dontknow:

No idea, sorry. But unless you have to get a very expensive flight (i.e. to Hongkong, New Zealand or the like), it'll nearly always work out cheaper for you just to go home over the vacation, especially since going home normally means that you won't have to pay for food etc.
    letting your parents pay counts as saving money does it? :p:

Our internationals get storage space specifically, but there is nothing to stop people leaving stuff in the room here (at your own risk) as long as it isn't obstructive. Someone stole my duvet one break :sadnod:

Well generally i don't take things to oxford that i won't be needing over a six week break, tbh. I'd have to take my things home anyway.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    letting your parents pay counts as saving money does it? :p:
    :p:
    Not as such, but not having to budget for food is an advantage (obviously this is assuming that you're actually on good terms with your parents). Also, Oxford isn't exactly one of the cheapest places to live in, so I'd expect that a lot of internationals will be spending less money on food at home even if they do pay for everything themselves.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Well generally i don't take things to oxford that i won't be needing over a six week break, tbh. I'd have to take my things home anyway.
    actually, thats a really good point.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    As nexttime pointed out, at Merton, we can keep stuff in our rooms over vacations (not summer though, obviously). I left loads of stuff under my bed, but I think you're allowed to use cupboards and drawers as well. Of course, it's best not to leave valuables, because other people might well be using your room!

If you live out in other years, you'll have to sign a lease that covers vacations, so you can leave stuff there, but you have to pay for the accommodation during that time.

ReputationRep:
    Do we get to keep the same room or does it change after each vacation? Also, I'm pretty sure first year international students are assured a place in college accommodations but how does this work out for second/third years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    As nexttime pointed out, at Merton, we can keep stuff in our rooms over vacations (not summer though, obviously). I left loads of stuff under my bed, but I think you're allowed to use cupboards and drawers as well. Of course, it's best not to leave valuables, because other people might well be using your room!
    Whilst at the interviews at Merton I stumbled across a huge stash of booze in one of the higher up cupboards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theloosegoose)
    Whilst at the interviews at Merton I stumbled across a huge stash of booze in one of the higher up cupboards
    Haha! Which room was that? I'm intrigued as to who it was...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.