Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My dad says he's going to wait until Friday and if they've not rung us back like they sad they would, he's going to get the local MP to ring them up. (Which I would quite like to see) - Its not that much of a far fetched idea as my uncle used to be one of his aids.

They've had since march is that long enough - there is now three weeks until I start.

ReputationRep:
    Don't expect much from your MP. I daresay plenty of people will be seeing them, but MPs don't have massive power.

ReputationRep:
    Actually they do. The trouble is lots of people's MPs are lazy and can't be bothered to get involved. How else can you explain the fact that one MP got a constituent's student loan sorted in 10 days along with an apology from the chairman of student finance england and a letter from David Lammy.

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness I'm a continuing student and get my loans sorted by Cambridgeshire local education authority, they're really good at getting things sorted on time. I feel sorry for those applying through the new system, it sounds crap.

ReputationRep:
    He knows he's fighting for his career after secondhomegate he is doing really bad in the public eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 54m)
    He knows he's fighting for his career after secondhomegate he is doing really bad in the public eye.
    but that's all of them! Anyway the MP in question is going at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    People are worried about complaining where 'free' money is involved. You really shouldn't worry about this. And it isn't 'free' for the following reasons:-

1. Loans eventually have to be paid back. Interest too (in my view student loans should be interest free).

2. Grants are only for people entitled under the means-testing. This is an entitlement to put you on an equal footing with people whose parents are more affluent. Without it university attendence would be entirely dependent on being able to pay, like an independent school, and would be grossly unfair.

3. The government of GB used to invest in its most promising young people. Today, YOU pay, even for the tuition - and pay interest on it, as I have pointed out.

4. Do not forget YOU pay tax to the Government every time you buy something VAT rated or every time you pay for petrol or diesel (c.60p a litre to the Govt) so, even if you don't pay income tax, you still give the government loads. The government uses this tax to support the unemployed, immigrants, asylum seekers, quangos, bureaucrats and all, so why should they not INVEST in the country's best brains? Any comment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Actually they do. The trouble is lots of people's MPs are lazy and can't be bothered to get involved. How else can you explain the fact that one MP got a constituent's student loan sorted in 10 days along with an apology from the chairman of student finance england and a letter from David Lammy.
    I spent 10 years in the civil service. Every time an MP complaint came in, the case was taken off the caseworker and sent for MP reply. Most of the time it slowed things down by a couple of weeks - and sometimes what was promised to the MP wasn't possible due to further information needed from the claimant anway.

10 days to sort out the student loan? And at what point was it before the MP got involved? Ready to be finalised? Or waiting to be entered on computer still?
    Oh, and who is David Lammy? Never heard of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herald X2)
    People are worried about complaining where 'free' money is involved. You really shouldn't worry about this. And it isn't 'free' for the following reasons:-

1. Loans eventually have to be paid back. Interest too (in my view student loans should be interest free).

2. Grants are only for people entitled under the means-testing. This is an entitlement to put you on an equal footing with people whose parents are more affluent. Without it university attendence would be entirely dependent on being able to pay, like an independent school, and would be grossly unfair.

3. The government of GB used to invest in its most promising young people. Today, YOU pay, even for the tuition - and pay interest on it, as I have pointed out.

4. Do not forget YOU pay tax to the Government every time you buy something VAT rated or every time you pay for petrol or diesel (c.60p a litre to the Govt) so, even if you don't pay income tax, you still give the government loads. The government uses this tax to support the unemployed, immigrants, asylum seekers, quangos, bureaucrats and all, so why should they not INVEST in the country's best brains? Any comment?

No, these loans are eventually written off (after just under 24 years in my case) regardless of payments. Some might never end up paying a penny on the loan. Others may pay them off in only a few years.

Yes, the government used to pay the course fees. Was it better back then? None of this student loan for living expenses, just a grant.
    Now there is a cost to the student. So the student, if they don't bother working at getting the degree, doesn't get to sail through for free. They have a debt.
    Does it make people appreciate their education more?

And paying tax - oh look, they are paying for student grants, lending under student loans, giving universities money for buildings, equipment etc. Oh, not forgetting such things as roads, services, emergency services, health etc from those same taxes.
    Students benefit from the taxes. And we all pay some taxes, from the cradle to the grave and even beyond (in the case of inheritence tax).
    And whatever gave you the impression that degree students were the country's best brains?
    Show me a double or triple doctorate holder, I'd say they are one of the best brains. But an undergraduate student? Not necessarily much of a brain, often the sole test to get in to Uni is to achieve certain grades in an exam or pass some sort of test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 54m)
    They all fight for re-election in a general election.
    Don't bet on them being voted out though. Many people that moan about politicians don't bother to vote for someone else. Voting isn't decided by a poll or the general population of an area. Its decided by the people who turn up (or do postal) to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mart2306)
    I spent 10 years in the civil service. Every time an MP complaint came in, the case was taken off the caseworker and sent for MP reply. Most of the time it slowed things down by a couple of weeks - and sometimes what was promised to the MP wasn't possible due to further information needed from the claimant anway.

10 days to sort out the student loan? And at what point was it before the MP got involved? Ready to be finalised? Or waiting to be entered on computer still?
    I don't think student finance are that organised to have a single person doing each application or part. It seems to me that they will just pick and choose randomly what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Grants :rolleyes:
    I don't think everyone gets these...so what are you babbling about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mart2306)

OK if I answer your questions in reverse order.

David Lammy is the Minister for Higher Education. Fancy not knowing that, how humiliating!

The MP got involved after an application for student finance sent in February encountered the problems that are on here. All paper work lost P60 lost, tax return lost. SFE told me there was nothing they could do without a full set of duplicates. MP was written to and WITHIN 10 days SFE senior management contacted the student with a direct line for communication saying they'd received a complaint from said MP. They asked for a photocopy of a document. It was sent and the next morning the full package was approved by SFE. The MP kept the student informed all along about what he had done with copies of letters he had sent to Lammy (know who he is now?) and the head of SFE. Later a letter of apology arrived from the Chair of SFE.

Bit of advice know all - wind your neck in on things you know nothing about!

ReputationRep:

David Lammy is the Minister for Higher Education. Fancy not knowing that, how humiliating!

The MP got involved after an application for student finance sent in February encountered the problems that are on here. All paper work lost P60 lost, tax return lost. SFE told me there was nothing they could do without a full set of duplicates. MP was written to and WITHIN 10 days SFE senior management contacted the student with a direct line for communication saying they'd received a complaint from said MP. They asked for a photocopy of a document. It was sent and the next morning the full package was approved by SFE. The MP kept the student informed all along about what he had done with copies of letters he had sent to Lammy (know who he is now?) and the head of SFE. Later a letter of apology arrived from the Chair of SFE.

Minister for higher education? Darn right I don't know who he is. I don't follow who is in what post, I'm not a politics student!

OK, so there was sufficient info already held to do an assessment. And stuff wasn't really lost, maybe misplaced but not lost.
    Letters of apology from Chairs of organisations are common. They make a lovely PR touch but usually do little else.

As for knowing nothing about? Only 8 years on parliamentary correspondence units in 3 departments.

ReputationRep:
    Look what I have found in the cached version of direct.gov.uk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_171758.pdf

Do you think its still the same info?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you complaining about free money? I know it can be a hassle, has been for my friends but come on. Complaining?
    Hey, sorry, but if you haven't had hassle, u cant have an opinion.
    I filled in the forms ages ago, way b4 the deadline, all sent off and accounted 4.
    Come start of my course i have no money. I ring everyday, I just get told it's ok, and that i should take no further action. I talk 2 this woman 2day and she turns round 2 say I havent sent in an application! She was so rude to me aswell, i began to say' look, i know its no your fault but i sent in my application ages ago' she butted in 2 be rude and say in a sharp tone' excuse me, but you'vr not actually'. I was fuming!
    I was good, getting it all done straight away, they've messed it up- lossed/deleted it, and they're trying to pin it on me.
    I need someone to complain 2, i should get at least a sorry, maybe a bit of relief compensation. It's pathetoc, i know they're really busy, but they could of at least notified me saying they lost it. now when i send off the new forms it will be 6 weeks till i get them processed!
    Not happy =(

ReputationRep:

How do u get in touch? I think I need that!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you complaining about free money? I know it can be a hassle, has been for my friends but come on. Complaining?
    Its not free, you have to pay it back with interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emashby007)
    I got told today that I may not even qualify for finance as doing a PGCE is classed as a second degree now which they dont have to finance apparently! I too have tried to complain I have e-mailed my local mp under my university's guidance
    Ha ha ha!

A PGCE is not classed as a second degree - it is in the student finance regulations as one of the 'professional courses' which are eligible for further funding (medicine, dentistry, social work and NHS funded courses are the others)

Who told you that rubbish? Was it the SFE 'helpline'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 54m)
    Look what I have found in the cached version of direct.gov.uk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_171758.pdf

Do you think its still the same info?
    Yep. You may not find it through google as it has been moved but the complaint form is still available here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Dire...acts/DG_171787

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.