Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The problems with SFE this year are definitely one situation where contacting your local MP would help

You see, one of the reasons why SFE have struggled this year is through cost cutting and lack of resources

The more political pressure and questions asked about the new service might be better for everyone - students, parents, universities and workers at SLC/SFE

Personally I think is too late to save jobs at the local council level as I cannot realistically see the government reversing it's decision to take the work away from local authorities and centralise it to Darlington

I still think that the more MPs that get involved the better though

ReputationRep:
    Definatly. Remember, there's elections coming up, and they will want your votes.

I know if I was a student, I'd be writing to mine, especially given the role he plays in his party.

ReputationRep:
    I have just found this forum and registered, after a very stressful dat with Student Finance.
    I applied back in June time, and have several times had problems with them.
    This is my first yr at uni, and as if it wasnt stressful lenough without the added stress of no money!

I am a single mum, with 2 kids, no savings and no family or friends to help me out financially.
    I have not recieved a penny from SF yet, and am surviving on £94 pounds a week for food and all billls.
    Quite frankly, i have been in tears over recent weeks over the fact that i seem to be getting deeper into debt (cant pay rent-not enough money until i get my SF) and just donr know how much longer i can carry on with this.

i really am at the end of my teather with them.
    I have made an official complaint, but have heard nothing back yet (but they did say it takes 10 working days to reply, and its only been about 5 working days- so fair enough).
    Dont know what else i am going to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I used to apply on time every year, and never had any problems.
    Because its not "free money" it's a loan..you'll pay more back +they'll expect YOU to do it on time smth they are not doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fysix)
    Because its not "free money" it's a loan..you'll pay more back +they'll expect YOU to do it on time smth they are not doing
    Er...what?

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of 'Student Finance England' department. I have lodged a complaint and they still haven't reply to me. They were supposed to reply to me within 10 working days after the submission. The deadline is well passed and after 20 working days I'm still waiting. I think the complaint is just a word, it seems to me like a sheep complaints to the wolf's dad. The complaints are dealt at the same department 'isn't that great'!!! When it comes to us receiving funds from the government it takes months to deal with, but when it comes to us paying them they are quick enough to deal with, how pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you guys are moaning at. I've had **** all from SFE for four months now...

It took them three months to finally process my application (they messed up my birth certificate and declaration form) but finally approved during the Christmas holidays. Early January, I receive a charming letter stating that my application has been suspended because my course is not officially approved by SFE and won't be until the university rectifies the problem (this has affected all students on my course, though the course has been around for 5 years and this has not happened to previous students before).

And still I wait for my ******* loans. I am behind with two rent payments and the tuition fees payment, not to mention the amount of cash my parents have given me in order for me to live on since September!

If they think I'm going to pay back their cash on time after I graduate, they've got another thing coming.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth complaining because I have alot of complaints and I still haven't got my grant lol.

ReputationRep:
    Having send off my application in mid september I am furious that I still have to wait for my 1st instalment of my loans and grants.

This is my time-plan:
    mid September-Send off application
    mid November-had to appy again as they told that they have lost my form
    end November-apparently they have found my old form and started processing it
    2nd December-asked me for more information
    5th December-provided them my information
    14th January-told by the Customer Service team to send off the information again as they couldnt find it
    15th January-send it off again
    Today-status online is still saying " Awaiting further information"

AND
    Got a letter from University today stating that I would be suspended from University if they dont receive any money in the next 7 days.

Called he Customer Service team agian today and was given an email that would speed up my process- hopefully that helps

Anyone is or was in the same position that I am in right now???

Share your views-need it to calm me down

ReputationRep:
    You only applied in September? No wonder it's taking ages. I've found that on average, it takes them 2 months to process any information you send them, so your time plan is pretty accurate to that.

ReputationRep:
    I was until 2 weeks ago when I got my first instalment, which was not even enough to cover my term 2 rent.

I am pleased, except I have had to pay half my tuition and my first term's rent myself and had to live on nothing since I started last October.

I'm just pleased I saved a lot of money from working the past 3 years

But pissed at how ****** they are.

PS. I applied before the deadline and sent everything in on time, which they had no problem with, but they decided to leave mine until the end...

ReputationRep:
    Luckily I deceided to live at home and travel the hour everyday than living in halls. Been living the last 4 months on the 1000£ overdraft frm Natwest. Couldnt even find a job so far. If SFE doesnt reply in the next 6 days, I would literally be F***** up.

ReputationRep:
    September! Their deadline was April!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got my grant through... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past the deadline, stupid government

ReputationRep:
    Take it as a lesson learnt. I'm pretty sure that the student finance application for returning students is opening very soon (if not already open), so you need to apply ASAP. The deadline is in April, do it now.

ReputationRep:
    Already done it this afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Take it as a lesson learnt. I'm pretty sure that the student finance application for returning students is opening very soon (if not already open), so you need to apply ASAP. The deadline is in April, do it now.
    Yep, it opened today

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_183342

ReputationRep:
    I applied last february and still havent been paid a single penny !!!!!!!!!
    i sent everything off on time as they lost it three times !!

and applied today for my second year finance and still not a penny for my first !!!

so feel sorry for me .. nearly a year n still not a penny !!!!!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    They open the applications in JANUARY And give you until april to do it .. you applied in septembeR? Well done.. :\
    You should always apply a lot earlier than u need to, that way if anything goes wrong it can be sorted in plenty of time !! x

ReputationRep:
    The thingh is i dropped out of Uni last year and last year i wasnt eligible for student finance for some eu residency thingh. The thingh was that they had "6 weeks maximum time to process the application" on the instruction. And it has been 4 months now. I know there are people waiting even though they applied back in february, but still, this is a long time aswell.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.