Turn on thread page Beta

The Student Finance Rant Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i sent of a maintenance loan request form on the 19th of January, but i phoned on the 29th of Jan to ask what dates they were processing, to get a roungh idea of how long my application would take and they told me they were doing the 15th Jan - however i phoned again this morning and they told me that there were still doing the 15th Jan! Now i have no idea, how long my application will take - is anyone else having the same/similar sort of problem.

Now i know that i sent of this form months into the academic year (as i thought i wouldn't need the money - turns out i do) so i'm not expecting it to be dealt with all that fast - they can't be doing all the applications for the 2010/11 ahead of mine can they - seeing as i'm in the current academic year?

ReputationRep:
    I am £1500 in debt (max over draft used) i owe my mate £400 cus i cant affored the rent as no money, my income is roughly £200 a month and work wont give extra hours, fees are due in may and i havent recieved a penny!

I sent my application first off in May 2009, we are now Febuary 2010, i had to send in my birth cert last month because they are taking so long my passport expired! stupid idiots

Always someone worse then yourself i guess, hate to be worse off then myself but there are people worse =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsuck)
    I am £1500 in debt (max over draft used) i owe my mate £400 cus i cant affored the rent as no money, my income is roughly £200 a month and work wont give extra hours, fees are due in may and i havent recieved a penny!

I sent my application first off in May 2009, we are now Febuary 2010, i had to send in my birth cert last month because they are taking so long my passport expired! stupid idiots

Always someone worse then yourself i guess, hate to be worse off then myself but there are people worse =/
    that is awful, i'm really sorry to hear that - can't say i'm all that suprised, student finance is just terrible, i'm dreading applying for anything next year.

i hope things get sorted for you, i really do.

ReputationRep:
    yea cheers and you, they messed my whole life up lol, if i dont have any money by mid march im going to have to drop out of uni and find a full time job -- not the best thing since there is so much unemployment where i go uni =/

goodluck

ReputationRep:
    Have just been told today that is going to take another 3-4 weeks to process it

frikkin pissn me off... just been waiting too much for it

their recommended time was 4-6 weeks...and they even lost my files TWICE

any way to make a complain... or even get compensation for it??? :o:

ReputationRep:
    I sent my application for 2009/2010 off in may 2009, 9 months on in febuary 2010 and i havent recieved a penny, not even had my tuition fees paid yet and 2010/2011 applications are up already? get ****!

I just wana know why its taken them 9 months... they cant even tell me they make me so angry!

anyone else thinking this?

ReputationRep:
    student finance

is just a synonym for a group of

well, that magical place in between your legs where farts are made.

ReputationRep:
    Student finance are generally ****. For the first two years of my degree they kept trying paying two universities. Then in my final year refused to pay the second half of my tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    They also never ever reply to anything you tell them, and are about as elusive as unicorns with jet packs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for my grant but I'm hoping it'll get sorted soon...

Does anybody know when they will return our financial evidence we sent them? Because I've sent three lots, one's been returned (though it was like 3 months or so after it was sent). I know the latest one we've sent is with them at the moment. But I don't know what's happened to the one before that.

ReputationRep:
    Its my first year of applying and boy are they dumb.

First off i applied online for my part of it so i didn't run the risk of them losing my passport.

Then early Jan i sent in my parents PFF1 forms with evidence.

I got the evidence back mid jan but was a little confused to find 2 weeks later that it still said "Awaiting Further Information"

I phoned them again to ask and i got told they had my dads but not my mums. Well i put them in the same envelope and they sent the evidence back to me so why not.

Anywho i sent back the evidence and the next day phoned back to double check.

This time i get told they have my Dads form and evidence but also have my mums evidence with no form!!

How? I put them in same envelope, stapled both bits of evidence to the forms yet they have the evidence and no form?

ReputationRep:
    i applied in late april/early june, i get exactly what you mean, we'd been all around this town trying to get everything they asked for, been told on three seperate occassions that they had everything they needed onlyto be informed that that was incorrect, sent my passport for the third time last week which they asked for again convinced they had never seem it regardless of the fact that i have two seperate letters or receipt from the first two times. Plus! i would never have known on these three occassions had I not called them myself because when they make a system change and lose all my details, my psychic ability should apparently let me know about it! I got off the phone to them minutes ago just to be told that the deadline i had been given wasnt met and that i "just have to wait another week" having waited 8 months, 5 and a half of those at uni, being refused a student account and overdraft because my uni wouldnt confirm my enrolment and spending near 4 grand without any actual "good times had" as of yet one week doesnt seem so f******* reasonable anymore! IM PISSED OFF!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_1988)
    Its my first year of applying and boy are they dumb.

First off i applied online for my part of it so i didn't run the risk of them losing my passport.

Then early Jan i sent in my parents PFF1 forms with evidence.

I got the evidence back mid jan but was a little confused to find 2 weeks later that it still said "Awaiting Further Information"

I phoned them again to ask and i got told they had my dads but not my mums. Well i put them in the same envelope and they sent the evidence back to me so why not.

Anywho i sent back the evidence and the next day phoned back to double check.

This time i get told they have my Dads form and evidence but also have my mums evidence with no form!!

How? I put them in same envelope, stapled both bits of evidence to the forms yet they have the evidence and no form?
    WELCOME TO STUDENT FINANCE ENGLAND we're supposed to help and will maintain the public image that we are working for you but in reality we promise to lose all your details, confuse your application with other applicants, deny recieving details that we have lost through our own imcompetence, then, when you're at the end of your tether, we'll replace our team with young nice-sounding people that you feel embarassed to be rude at because you know for a fact they know just a little as you do and its not directly their fault that youre still in the s*** half way through your second term! ps. we reserve the right to be condescending and absolutely useless at all times.
    oh, and my status has remained as AWAITING FURTHER INFORMATION since July 2nd 2009 being no reflection on everything that has actually happened, the truth is id like them to have real staus updates like

'lost your passport, thats gonna be hard to explain' or

'split coffee on your evidence forms, that makes them void legally so..um...you're gonna have to fill new ones out and resend them' or

'office party, got wasted and deleted the database, conveniently it was only the last 3 months that got deleted but, that includes you, so...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chilla1990)
    Have just been told today that is going to take another 3-4 weeks to process it

frikkin pissn me off... just been waiting too much for it

their recommended time was 4-6 weeks...and they even lost my files TWICE

any way to make a complain... or even get compensation for it??? :o:
    Write to your MP, from what I've heard, after a letter from them, they give you a private phone number and your own person to help sort it all out

ReputationRep:
    I too am having big problems with Student finance ! I am a mature student and applied for just the tuition fee grant/loan. This is the third set of forms I have filled out and I still have not had an answer. It is stressing me out big time !!!!! I too am on the verge of a mental breakdown ! I could scream !!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Student finance have just decided to cut off my partners maintenance grant. Apparently they have a "random check" of people receiveing means tested loans and grants, to which ones parents have to respond within 3 weeks, or they reduce your funding to the non-means tested level.

Her mother sent off the required information and forms. Now, her grant has been cut off

3 weeks. This is the real kick in the teeth. Given that some people have still not received their loans from september (5 months ago). Given that it can take a long time to reach someone who can do something about it. For this company to expect a response from you in this time just hurts.

There was no phone follow up before just cutting off her finance. They have all her contact details (and mine, and all of yours if you are in university). Surely they could phone and remind you. It would cost no mre than than the months of employee time that will now be required to sort out this mess

All letters were sent to her home address.. where she no longer lives. Hence the greater than 3 week delay before heading about the letter. In fact, the only way she found out was an odd payment of £70 into her account by the SLC. This was the difference between means tested and non means tested loans.

The student loans company is a mess. They are consistently useless on the phone, call centre staff are unable to do anything, or see any more information than is already on their own (bug ridden) website. Students least able to cope with loss of money are messed around.

I think it's time to write to my MP

ReputationRep:
    well, firstly, my mp to this point has not even formally replied to my email, all i got was an acknowledgement of receipt, then after i made another call to student finance determined to find out what was going on i was fuming! apparently, noone in darlington or wherever the call centre i manage to reach is, seems to talk to anyone else! its like theyre all isolated in big bubbles where they just answer a phone and look at a computer screen. its so frustrating that everyone just keeps telling me different things. Twice ive been told categorically that my application is complete and would be assessed soon, just to be informed two (and the longest 5) weeks later that they require further information!

Ive sent everything they've asked for, my passport has been sent three times!! and they kept saying its not on their records send it again, can somebody please tell me what the hell the point of a mailing room is if they just open your envelope, take out your passport, add a generic ******** letter and send it back without even registering it as received or filing a copy? my parents got the passport back this morning which i should be happy about, but experience has taught me that they probably didn't even look at it before it was returned, my only positive thought is that it only took 12 days this time! but my online status is still unchanged which leads me to think i should just prepare the passport for remailing and have it stamped and ready for the next idiot who tells me that they've never seen it!

What really really pisses me off? when they make a mistake or lose something they expect YOU!! to just know, yeah! just sense it with your psychic powers!! Is it not common courtesy to call when a file is about to be reclosed and inform the person that so and so has happened? then maybe they send the info the same day, then the file can be completed the next day things would get done faster! Who's retarded idea was it to set up a carousel that you get shoved to the back of if theres a strand of hair out of place in your passport photo!?! you wait months for it to come around, they see something missing and your right to the back of another 2-3 month queue and they have the audacity to open for this years applications??? what the ***** that all about?!!!for ***** sake!

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i started university and dropped out after a couple of months, it has taken them 2 years to work out what i owe and now i am planning to go back to university, after talking to student finance if i dont pay back the two grand that i own i will have to pay my own tuition fees for the first year.... what is the point in student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sallijessi)
    Basically, i started university and dropped out after a couple of months, it has taken them 2 years to work out what i owe and now i am planning to go back to university, after talking to student finance if i dont pay back the two grand that i own i will have to pay my own tuition fees for the first year.... what is the point in student finance?
    yeah it is riduculous that freeloaders can't fiddle a term's money without being called to account!

ReputationRep:
    yes because i was obviously fiddling, not anything to do with the university messing up the paper work. You obviously do care about the people in need of help here, do one

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.