Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im a bit confused over birminghams ranking as in the guardian its 2nd for physics however its about 17th in the times

was wondering is anyone can give me their opinion on birmingham for physics and as a whole

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not studying physics there, but I could tell you that physics at Birmingham is quite brilliant, it is regarded quite highly, I think you will find with the Guardian they concentrate more on entry standards, teaching quality and grades, so is probably more realistic than the others. I would recommend Birmingham, although I study law, I do not know whether its perceived as top ten, but I do know, it is brilliant all around.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not studying physics there, but I could tell you that physics at Birmingham is quite brilliant, it is regarded quite highly, I think you will find with the Guardian they concentrate more on entry standards, teaching quality and grades, so is probably more realistic than the others. I would recommend Birmingham, although I study law, I do not know whether its perceived as top ten, but I do know, it is brilliant all around
    oh right thank you, so is birmingham, as a whole good then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do have a friend who studies at Nottingham, however he regrets not going to Birmingham, since it is excelling.

Another thing that you need to bare in mind is, Birmingham has recently had a new Dean, who's plan it is to make the University a top ten if not more, he described it as a 'sleeping giant,' so expect more. Don't listen to people who say it is middle-ground because its NOT! I study law, I know the prestige the university carries with it.

ALL THE BEST!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to put Bham as my insurance and I thought it was great for physics, I wouldn't look at the league tables because they aren't going to show the whole picture and they vary so much. The physics department there is always the top of student surveys for satisfaction and there is loads of research going on there so you're going to get pretty good teaching staff too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by maximusbarr)
    I'm not studying physics there, but I could tell you that physics at Birmingham is quite brilliant, it is regarded quite highly, I think you will find with the Guardian they concentrate more on entry standards, teaching quality and grades, so is probably more realistic than the others. I would recommend Birmingham, although I study law, I do not know whether its perceived as top ten, but I do know, it is brilliant all around.
    Ah the guardian where Sussex was the best uni for chem in the country last year :p:.

ReputationRep:
    The Times ranking is 7th, not 17th, in most recent (2010) guide

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...15&y=14&sub=51

or

http://tinyurl.com/yz49bz8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melvin123)
    im a bit confused over birminghams ranking as in the guardian its 2nd for physics however its about 17th in the times

was wondering is anyone can give me their opinion on birmingham for physics and as a whole

thanks
    Birmingham is 2nd also in the Times this year.
    However, you now need an account to access their internet content :/

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is 2nd also in the Times this year.
    However, you now need an account to access their internet content :/
    ye i saw the other day, must be pretty good, i got warwick for it in ucas extra anyway so im happy

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend does physics at bham and he loves it

ReputationRep:
    Physics is really good at Brum, just finished my degree there.

ReputationRep:
    I did two modules of physics this year as my module outside the main discipline. Got two firsts

Enjoyed them much more than computer science which is my actual degree course. Even tried to swap courses but wasn't allowed because they had no places

I have nothing but good things to say about physics at Birmingham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    Physics is really good at Brum, just finished my degree there.
    Do u have a good job now? I haven t decided between bham and imperial,after cam's rejection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egvc22)
    Do u have a good job now? I haven t decided between bham and imperial,after cam's rejection
    His post is from nearly three years ago and he's not been on tsr since last may so I think it's unlikely you'll get a reply here.

ReputationRep:
    You are right... But I really DO need to know

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.