Turn on thread page Beta

Angry, angry activists (The racist, anti-racist group) watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever met like a really, really angry activist?

Let me tell you a story,

Was talking back form town to university only to see the usual kind of picket about some sort of cause, this one happened to be about stopping racism at the uni and setting up a group to do just that...

To cut a long story short the guy I was talking to, who happened to be of south Asian, explained to me that I was unable to and will never experience racism because I am white.

Now, I'm pretty sure that comment in itself is racist...

ReputationRep:
    Just like anti-fascists are the new fascists, anti-racists are the new racists...

Sounds interesting

However, in saying that, it is somewhat unfair to label everyone. There are some genuine individuals who fight against all forms of racism not just racism against minorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Just like anti-fascists are the new fascists, anti-racists are the new racists...

Sounds interesting

However, in saying that, it is somewhat unfair to label everyone. There are some genuine individuals who fight against all forms of racism not just racism against minorities.
    It just seems to be a trend with young activists. Like the UAF egging Nick Griffin and his compadres. A representative of the UAF exclaims that they believe in freedom of speech, but not for fascits...

Now first off, there is no real definition for fascism, so to base a justification on something that has an interpretative meaning would be faux and also they believe in silencing anyone (and using violence) who they deem to be fascists. BS frankly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallicalad)
    It just seems to be a trend with young activists. Like the UAF egging Nick Griffin and his compadres. A representative of the UAF exclaims that they believe in freedom of speech, but not for fascits...
    This is my problem with certain activists and "anti-fascists". They declare themselves to be supporters of freedom and yet they happily engage in the suppression of speech and in some cases violence.

If they wish to garner respect, they should stop with the double standards and hypocrisy. Now, in regards to my previous post, there are of course activists who see this hypocrisy and fight against all forms of suppression or racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    This is my problem with certain activists and "anti-fascists". They declare themselves to be supporters of freedom and yet they happily engage in the suppression of speech and in some cases violence.

If they wish to garner respect, they should stop with the double standards and hypocrisy. Now, in regards to my previous post, there are of course activists who see this hypocrisy and fight against all forms of suppression or racism.
    I can't remember the name of the guy but he is basically anti religion in every way and blames it for all the worlds problems... anyway, in one of his videos he was basically bashing the 'I'm anti racist, anti misogyny' etc but I don't know whether it was due to a time constraint or something but he didn't mention anything about anti misandry! There are a huge amount of misandrists out there and I meet them and their utter contempt every day! Stop being about the popular issues and recognise some of the others!

ReputationRep:
    It's a fair point, you probably won't ever experience racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    It's a fair point, you probably won't ever experience racism.
    Mate... that's utter bs. How can you say that when you don't know me?

ReputationRep:
    Mate... that's utter bs. How can you say that when you don't know me?
    Well, you're white (as am I by the way). I just don't think the comment is as horrendously unfair as you're making out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Well, you're white (as am I by the way). I just don't think the comment is as horrendously unfair as you're making out.
    It's not like I'm not living in the real world. I've never lived as someone of a different racial background and I'm sure my experience would be personal, but it was wrong to assume that I am incapable of experiencing racism and also that I have never experienced racism because I in fact have.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its highly unlikely you will suffer a racially motivated assault. Positive discrimination when you apply for mcdonalds, maybe, but violence towards you by other races :rolleyes: is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short the guy I was talking to, who happened to be of south Asian, explained to me that I was unable to and will never experience racism because I am white.

Now, I'm pretty sure that comment in itself is racist...
    No.

I'm certain what the guy said is actually a short version of: You're never going to experience racism because you're white and white people are currently the majority

Because who the hell picks on the majority? Any crazy groups out there (cough BNP cough) pick on the minorities they know can't stand up effectively against them (or can't easily convince the majority). So technically he's right: You won't ever experience racism or marginalisation is the same way. Or at least, not while there is a white majority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidR1991)
    No.

I'm certain what the guy said is actually a short version of: You're never going to experience racism because you're white and white people are currently the majority

Because who the hell picks on the majority? Any crazy groups out there (cough BNP cough) pick on the minorities they know can't stand up effectively against them (or can't easily convince the majority). So technically he's right: You won't ever experience racism or marginalisation is the same way. Or at least, not while there is a white majority
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kriss_Donald

ReputationRep:
    No.

racism has **** all to do with the majority/minority

ReputationRep:
    No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_A...nder_apartheid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    racism has **** all to do with the majority/minority
    i think racism about context, how one group understands its relation with another ethnic group

ReputationRep:
    UAF is state-sponsored terrorism.

Lock them and the BNP, and all other extremists of all flavours in a big room, provide baseball bats, and come back a few days later and clean what's left out.

UAF is a front for muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    UAF is a front for muslims.
    Hating on Muslims is still going strong then. Nice, nice. :yy:

/s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kriss_Donald
    ^

"The kidnapping was ostensibly revenge for an attack on Shahid at a nightclub in Glasgow city centre the night before by a local white gang"

By definition, an winning party in an election is a majority (i.e. there must have been some kind of majority voting for the NP/coalition). Were their voting laws mangled prior to apartheid or did blacks simply not vote? (I don't know the circumstances of the NP win)

But yeah, point taken. Minority rule seems to be a rare thing though

ReputationRep:
    OP you're making a mountain out of a molehill, you live in Britain I presume, you most likely won't experience racism, whats the problem?
    I agree with the trend for anti-fascist groups to behave hypocritically, I suppose part of it might be Britain's history of fascistic neo-nazi groups rising up when we have a recession or some national crisis, Moseley for example, the National Front for example. At the end of the day, our national culture is far less open to multiculturalism than we'd like to believe, the idea is still very new and some people don't trust that the country is all that committed to it. For what it's worth I don't like the UAF but I think it's doing the country no harm to have some raving loonatics fighting on behalf of multiculturalism against the many raving loonatics fighting against it both on the side of Islam and on the side against it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.