Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It could be argued that I've got well over six grand of student loans, never mind overdrafts that have now been paid off, etc... thanks to Labout abolishing the grant in '97.

But then you can also argue that the Conservatives introducing the student loan in the first instance, and gradually eroding the Grant to be almost nothing by '97 is the ultimate cause of the grant going in '97. And as a result of the grant going when I was taking a year out, I ended up not cancelling my application to a course that I didn't really want to do, and unsurprisingly failing, and therefore needing to go back to uni several years later, therefore incurring yet more debts...

Personally I think that graduate taxes, student loans and so on aren't the answer. Re-establish the full grant system, and just increase taxes on the parents of those going to uni, or at least those on higher income brackets. This would in effect be a graduate tax by-proxy, maybe a 45% rate at 50K, thereby allowing immediate graduates to save up a bit before they start earning really serious money, in order to buy a house or something. As lets be honest, with student loans, student debt and so on, unless your parents can give you a load of cash, it's pretty impossible for anyone under the age of at least 30 to scrape together the deposit for a property over £80k, and that's basically everything other than a garage on a dodgy estate in London, and not much better until you get well outside the M25...

Of course this would mean that we as a family would be worse off by at least £1k a year (I'm not 100 percent certain what my wife's pre-tax income is), but I honestly think that increasing income tax higher up the pay scale is the real and fairest answer to student finance. You would obviously need to have very stringent checks though, no-one is going to want to pay higher taxes to allow a bunch of 18-21 year olds to spend three years goofing off getting drunk. So minimum attendence levels would need to be enforced across the board to all universities.

ReputationRep:
    I know my thread is irrational, but im just stating what i truly feel. I think some of you have misunderstood. I wasn't saying that the conservatives will ban poor people from university, i was saying that they will probably make it harder to get in due to loans being less available etc. I don't claim to know a thing about politics. Which is why i made this thread. I was really hoping that someone would give a useful reply. But it turnes out, that the majority of people who have replied, either just want to make out that im an idiot or are extremely aggitated that i have said something negative about thier lovely Tory party.

ReputationRep:
    If Conservatives get into power I can see the middle classes benefitting yet more.

As it is with Labour in power the poorer students have a figting chance. Still doesn't stop class discrimination in the job market though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I know my thread is irrational, but im just stating what i truly feel. I think some of you have misunderstood. I wasn't saying that the conservatives will ban poor people from university, i was saying that they will probably make it harder to get in due to loans being less available etc. I don't claim to know a thing about politics. Which is why i made this thread. I was really hoping that someone would give a useful reply. But it turnes out, that the majority of people who have replied, either just want to make out that im an idiot or are extremely aggitated that i have said something negative about thier lovely Tory party.
    The reason why people are aggitated with you is you presented a false leading statement about the conservatives. You said yourself you don't know anything about politics, so why didn't you start off the threat as:

"If the conservatives come in....

Will it make it harder for people to get into university, particularly from a working class background, because of funding?"

That sounds a lot better than attacking a political party straight on. Plus, I'm sure you won't have that much of a hard time getting into university. Just study hard, crack the books and you'll do fine in the exam. Oh and keep on those extra-carricular activities too!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't saying that the conservatives will ban poor people from university, i was saying that they will probably make it harder to get in due to loans being less available etc. I don't claim to know a thing about politics. Which is why i made this thread. I was really hoping that someone would give a useful reply. But it turnes out, that the majority of people who have replied, either just want to make out that im an idiot or are extremely aggitated that i have said something negative about thier lovely Tory party.
    It looks like you really haven't done any research into tory policy and your'e just trying to make a party political point based on your hatred of the conservative party. They will not stop loans as loans don't cost the government any money, surely that is self explanatory.

ReputationRep:
    Your shockingly awful spelling and grammar will mean your personal statement will be crap, and your appauling grasp of politics and current affairs will screw up any interview you have. This is why you won't get into uni.

ReputationRep:
    I think the real question is why bother doing MEDIA..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    It looks like you really haven't done any research into tory policy and your'e just trying to make a party political point based on your hatred of the conservative party. They will not stop loans as loans don't cost the government any money, surely that is self explanatory.
    Aren't student loans subsidised by the government? I thought that was why those from higher income families are only allowed smaller loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Aren't student loans subsidised by the government? I thought that was why those from higher income families are only allowed smaller loans.

They are, heavily. Any idiot that understands the difference between inflation and commercial interest rates could tell you that... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschna)
    :yep:

However a even better question is when will Labour be kind to small businesses?

ReputationRep:
    *when.

As if any sensible person could really vote for Labour after the hatchet job they've done on this country. Not, mind you, that I rate the Conservatives much higher, but a change is as good as a rest and all that.

ReputationRep:
    In the OPs case it is clearly more advisable than her contemplating Politics. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    *when.

As if any sensible person could really vote for Labour after the hatchet job they've done on this country. Not, mind you, that I rate the Conservatives much higher, but a change is as good as a rest and all that.
    No - tbh Labour have royally ****** up, but the conservatives dont seem to have a clue what to do either. Time someone grabbed the country by the scruff of the neck and sorted stuff out. Ala, Chuchill, Thatcher etc, but Cameron certainly isnt the man to do it. I see a lot of votes going towards BNP, Greens, UKIP this year.

Anyway - OP, I dont think you really know what you on about. If your clever enough then there will be places available, and imho the grants at the moment are very generous. I get a full loan and a medium grant, combined with a part time job I live a lot better than most students do. You might have to (shock horror) get a job while doing your degree, but to say you wont be able to go because of a change of government without knowing anything about policies is just a daft and naive statement. Labour brought in tuition fees, and social mobility has decreased in the last 13 years, so its not a case of "Labour good - Tory bad"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    As if any sensible person could really vote for Labour after the hatchet job they've done on this country.
    Absolutely - it is depressing to think how many millions of morons will reveal themselves on May 5th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    In the OPs case it is clearly more advisable than her contemplating Politics. :yep:
    Ah, yes, you are correct.

ReputationRep:
    Im not saying that the conservatives will ban 'poor people' from uni, im saying that there will be very little loans available.. Therefore, i will not be able to afford it. I didn't ask for people to insult me or have a go at labour. I know it's difficult for some people who have gone to private schools to emphasise with those whose life is not a stroll in the park... But try.
    Link to where Conservatives have said they will cut the amount of loans please.

David Cameron has already pledged 10,000 more university places, whereas Brown has made £500 millions worth of cuts.

ReputationRep:
    Whether you ultimately decide to go to University or not, having A levels is always better than just having GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Im not saying that the conservatives will ban 'poor people' from uni, im saying that there will be very little loans available.. Therefore, i will not be able to afford it. I didn't ask for people to insult me or have a go at labour. I know it's difficult for some people who have gone to private schools to emphasise with those whose life is not a stroll in the park... But try.
    Erm...Conservative won't be able to change thing's instantly...and i doubt they will change loans.

And if for some malarkey reason something like this happens, you can save up for a year or two and then go to uni you know...

ReputationRep:
    It's rather fun.

(Original post by Joluk)
    David Cameron has already pledged 10,000 more university places, whereas Brown has made £500 millions worth of cuts.
    And here I was led to believe that cuts were a good thing?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.