Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_springs)
    Your shockingly awful spelling and grammar will mean your personal statement will be crap, and your appauling grasp of politics and current affairs will screw up any interview you have. This is why you won't get into uni.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    The reason why people are aggitated with you is you presented a false leading statement about the conservatives. You said yourself you don't know anything about politics, so why didn't you start off the threat as:

"If the conservatives come in....

Will it make it harder for people to get into university, particularly from a working class background, because of funding?"

That sounds a lot better than attacking a political party straight on. Plus, I'm sure you won't have that much of a hard time getting into university. Just study hard, crack the books and you'll do fine in the exam. Oh and keep on those extra-carricular activities too!
    I know, i know, i know. I actualy thought i should have said that myself. But sometimes, every now and then, people do irrational mistakes. I didn't mean for it to come across as an attack on the Tories, i guess people took it that way. I didn't want this thread to become some big argument about politics. And thankyou. :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_springs)
    Your shockingly awful spelling and grammar will mean your personal statement will be crap, and your appauling grasp of politics and current affairs will screw up any interview you have. This is why you won't get into uni.
    Oh for god sake! Get that pole out of your arse please. Do you really think i would take the same amount of care with grammar in my personal statement as i do with TSR?

ReputationRep:
    cause im Scottish i get to go to uni for free, if the torries come into power this may not be the case :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Im not saying that the conservatives will ban 'poor people' from uni, im saying that there will be very little loans available.. Therefore, i will not be able to afford it. I didn't ask for people to insult me or have a go at labour. I know it's difficult for some people who have gone to private schools to emphasise with those whose life is not a stroll in the park... But try.
    I reckon either you're a troll or you have parents who were miners in the 80s who passed on their blind hatred of Tories onto their impressionable child.

(Original post by paddyman4)
    I reckon either you're a troll or you have parents who were miners in the 80s who passed on their blind hatred of Tories onto their impressionable child.
    Why would a miner's hatred of the Tories amount to being 'blind'?

ReputationRep:
    I know, i know, i know. I actualy thought i should have said that myself. But sometimes, every now and then, people do irrational mistakes. I didn't mean for it to come across as an attack on the Tories, i guess people took it that way. I didn't want this thread to become some big argument about politics. And thankyou. :]
    You're welcome I really wouldn't worry about it because, quite frankly, there's nothing you can really do about what the political parties do. Just focus on the things you can do to improve yourself and you should be okay. Things won't be all that bad if the conservatives get in (that's coming from a non-tory, btw).

What universities have you applied to, btw? What course are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Why would a miner's hatred of the Tories amount to being 'blind'?
    Because they look no further than the lolfest that occurred. They do not look at any other policies than the fact that Mags just raped them blind.

(Original post by RooKnight)
    Because they look no further than the lolfest that occurred. They do not look at any other policies than the fact that Mags just raped them blind.
    I suppose that can be applied to Jewish hatred of the Nazi Regime.
    God,those damn Jews couldn't see past the fact that Hitler fellow exterminated 6 million of their brothers and sisters.
    If only they could see the strenghts of his economic policies.....how ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    As a reply to what was originally put by the OP but has since been deleted:
    "I may as well leave right now, and work in a bloody office. Im so scared, I always thought i'd be able to go to uni and have a good life."

1) What is wrong with working in an office?
    2) Just because you have a degree it doesn't guarantee a "good life". You'll probably end up working in an office when you've been to uni anyway.

Also, the conservatives will be good for the country, after all it was labour who brought in tuition fees in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It's rather fun.
    But useless.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose that can be applied to Jewish hatred of the Nazi Regime.
    God,those damn Jews couldn't see past the fact that Hitler fellow exterminated 6 million of their brothers and sisters.
    If only they could see the strenghts of his economic policies.....how ignorant.
    Oi, hang on. Don't go that far, don't insult my intelligence. I'm not against the miners hating the Tories I just merely made a comment. That is very arrogant of you to say something like that, firstly, it is not at all a similar occurrance to that of the 1940s, secondly, mining was a job, not their lives and Thatcher wasn't killing them. She capped the wage/price push of the 70s and the mining community hated it, so went on strike and got completely destroyed by their leader, that didn't stop the woman making record breaking landslide election victories.

ReputationRep:
    Oi, hang on. Don't go that far, don't insult my intelligence. I'm not against the miners hating the Tories I just merely made a comment. That is very arrogant of you to say something like that, firstly, it is not at all a similar occurrance to that of the 1940s, secondly, mining was a job, not their lives and Thatcher wasn't killing them. She capped the wage/price push of the 70s and the mining community hated it, so went on strike and got completely destroyed by their leader, that didn't stop the woman making record breaking landslide election victories.
    yeah, and the minors brought the country to its knees in the winter of discontent. admitted the leaders led them astray in the first place, but i still cant help feeling they got what they deserved. people were glad to see them stopped. you cannot have unelected unions dictating to an elected government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    I wasn't aware the conservatives were going to ban poor people from university. On the bright side, i'm not aware that the conseratives actually have any policies anyway so you'll probably be ok.

oh they have one policy......"change" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bolyolyoi)
    cause im Scottish i get to go to uni for free, if the torries come into power this may not be the case :'(

i hope you like it hot cos you're gonna get flamed lol

Trust me I don't need to insult the intelligence of someone which calls any issue a 'lolfest',you done it yourself.
    Well its using the same logic,as you asserted their blind hatred comes from the fact they can't see past the greivances against them.
    The Mines weren't just a job,they were a source of social cohesion. Thatcher didn't replace the industry with another sustainable source of employment,instead she sacrificed them in the name of neo-liberalism,and the legacy of this move is still felt today with a complete lack of job opportunities for an entire generation.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I don't need to insult the intelligence of someone which calls any issue a 'lolfest',you done it yourself.
    Well its using the same logic,as you asserted their blind hatred comes from the fact they can't see past the greivances against them.
    The Mines weren't just a job,they were a source of social cohesion. Thatcher didn't replace the industry with another sustainable source of employment,instead she sacrificed them in the name of neo-liberalism,and the legacy of this move is still felt today with a complete lack of job opportunities for an entire generation.
    That's what Thatcher was, she was powerful. She put them in there place for trying to take over Callaghan's government. The unions thought they were more powerful than the Government. Thatcher made it quite clear that she was no pussy footer like Callaghan's government was when it surcumbed to the power that they held. It was a lolfest for anyone apart from the miners, though they were many, at the time they were the few. They were Thatcher's whipping boys. You should realise that Thatcher sorted out the unions and sorted out the country there. She just let them strike knowing that she was sitting on a huge pile of imported coal. Who won? Thatcher won!

ReputationRep:
    If this was a scaremongering post, nice try.

Nothing can get worse than 'Dithering Brown' and his Labour Party in Government. The Conservatives are the next logical step, and I hope that they do well. I would only ever vote for them if there was a two-party contest. Unlikely that is.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be able to go to uni, most probably. As im from a working class background.

What's the point in doing my A levels now? What's the point in trying to get good A levels in English lit, Chemistry, Hsitroy and Media? I may as well leave right now, and work in a bloody office. Im so scared, I always thought i'd be able to go to uni and have a good life. Doesn't this worry anyone else? Or am i just being ridiculous.
    Aside from the other rubbish, why do you think the government and the tax payer (me) owe you some sort of brilliant life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    :p:
    lol oops

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.