Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    They are, heavily. Any idiot that understands the difference between inflation and commercial interest rates could tell you that... :rolleyes:
    Well, with the rates pegged to inflation, in theory they only lose money if someone defaults, and I don't think that's possible because they take it off you in the form of extra income tax.

ReputationRep:
    What if eh,

The Newstatesman Knows: What if... Cameron is worse than we imagined. Much worse

I thought it was alright - any opinions (warning- it is a bit long)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    What if eh,

The Newstatesman Knows: What if... Cameron is worse than we imagined. Much worse

I thought it was alright - any opinions (warning- it is a bit long)
    The author seems to assume that cuts = armageddon
    The amount of waste in government is phenomenal - if it was done intelligently and down to the smallest item in every department, I'd be fairly certain we can cut £100bn before it really effects anyone in the private sector.

We can't survive five more years of brown though, not without economic collapse and a sovereign debt default or hyperinflation. Even barring that, I find a man who's as desperate as he is to cling to power disturbing in the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    The author seems to assume that cuts = armageddon
    The amount of waste in government is phenomenal - if it was done intelligently and down to the smallest item in every department, I'd be fairly certain we can cut £100bn before it really effects anyone in the private sector.

We can't survive five more years of brown though, not without economic collapse and a sovereign debt default or hyperinflation. Even barring that, I find a man who's as desperate as he is to cling to power disturbing in the extreme.
    I'm certainly agreed that the author does take something of an 'end of days' approach to a Tory government, an Brown has not done himself any favours over the last year or so, but consider your response to the following questions:

1. Would you rather Brown or Cameron?
    2. Would you rather Labour or Conservatives?

Is Brown making Labour more un-popular, or is the whole Labour party somewhat unnattractive (regardless of who is in Leadership)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Well, with the rates pegged to inflation, in theory they only lose money if someone defaults, and I don't think that's possible because they take it off you in the form of extra income tax.
    Well for starters interest at the rate of inflation, especially when commercial and indeed government interest rates are so high, and especially with present government borrowing being so high, means that the government is effectively paying your interest for you on your student loans. Well unless we get into hyperinflation, but if that happens I think that your increasing student loan will be the least of your worries, conscription will be a much more real threat to your life and liberty. Well that and whoever we end up fighting, as hyperinflation=sodding big war...

Anyway, unlikely scenarios aside. When you have deflation, as we have had recently, then the size of your outstanding student loan actually decreases. I haven't made any meaningful repayments on my 1998-99 student loans, so they're still hovering around the £2-4k mark, heck I don't even know how big they are. But the last statement I had told me that it had actually gone down in size by about 0.5%, which was nice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_springs)
    Your shockingly awful spelling and grammar will mean your personal statement will be crap, and your appauling grasp of politics and current affairs will screw up any interview you have. This is why you won't get into uni.
    ditto!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Well for starters interest at the rate of inflation, especially when commercial and indeed government interest rates are so high, and especially with present government borrowing being so high, means that the government is effectively paying your interest for you on your student loans. Well unless we get into hyperinflation, but if that happens I think that your increasing student loan will be the least of your worries, conscription will be a much more real threat to your life and liberty. Well that and whoever we end up fighting, as hyperinflation=sodding big war...

Anyway, unlikely scenarios aside. When you have deflation, as we have had recently, then the size of your outstanding student loan actually decreases. I haven't made any meaningful repayments on my 1998-99 student loans, so they're still hovering around the £2-4k mark, heck I don't even know how big they are. But the last statement I had told me that it had actually gone down in size by about 0.5%, which was nice...
    lucky you you got a negative interest rate this year. More recent graduates didn't. Their rate is 0%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bolyolyoi)
    cause im Scottish i get to go to uni for free, if the torries come into power this may not be the case :'(
    It will inevitably end at some point anyway, it's unsustainable - unless you're happy having our universities decline from world-standard to crap.

But of course, higher education is a devolved matter in Scotland. I can't see Annabel Goldie becoming First Minister any time soon, however much I may like the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    oh they have one policy......"change" :rofl:
    Er, no. They have a whole raft of them. That said, I don't agree with the idea of political parties having masses of policies generally. But Cameron is right, we do - as a country - need change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    lucky you you got a negative interest rate this year. More recent graduates didn't. Their rate is 0%.

That was just on my '98-'99 SL, my '04'-'05 loan (I didn't think I was eligible for a loan in my 1st year, so didn't even apply for one) I have no idea, but probably has the same or similar T&C as someone that graduated last year.

It's probably going to be at least two or three years before I start paying back these loans once again, basically not until the kids have started school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Er, no. They have a whole raft of them. That said, I don't agree with the idea of political parties having masses of policies generally. But Cameron is right, we do - as a country - need change.

That we do, those dodgy arab-types still haven't given us our change for all that oil we keep buying from them...

(Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
    Ahhhh, Godwin's Law :o:
    As the thread developed it was bound to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    But Cameron is right, we do - as a country - need change.
    Don't you mean Obama?
    Worst rip off ever :P
    Not sure its the wisest one since Obama isn't having much success, then again the majority of the electorate won't have noticed that.

I just can't wait for Labour to nab 'Hope!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Don't you mean Obama?
    Worst rip off ever :P
    Not sure its the wisest one since Obama isn't having much success, then again the majority of the electorate won't have noticed that.

I just can't wait for Labour to nab 'Hope!'
    The reason Obama isn't succeeding is generally because he can't get anything through Congress. The support for Obama isn't there. But the support for Cameron is there. People are just very cynical at the moment due to the bail outs all these countries are flinging at the banks. Obama has to overturn trillions and Cameron will have to overturn a lot also so I think the country is just very worried.

I can 99% guarantee that Cameron and the Tories have an economic plan behind the scenes, they kind of have to, especially as the manifestos are published in March for the May election.

(Original post by RooKnight)
    the support for Cameron is there.
    I think its more a lack of support for Brown and New Labour than a genuine support of Call Me Dave

I can 99% guarantee that Cameron and the Tories have an economic plan behind the scenes, they kind of have to, especially as the manifestos are published in March for the May election.
    The most worrying thing about the Tories economic plan,is really that they do not have one. Consistently they have talked of major cuts,yet have never been able to specify when and where these cuts would take place,and worse,when they were pushed to say when they would take place,Osbourne admitted they wouldn't take place for another year.
    '99% guarantee'? Good call on that,considering you are giving no real hard evidence on not just what they will do,becuase we will know that- cuts,cuts,cuts,cuts,cuts,cuts-but how they will do it and the effects,and until now they have not done that.
    I don't think even Osbourne himself is 50% sure he has a genuine effective economic plan,let alone 99% sure.
    The sad is neither Labour or the Conservative have an effective plan for sustained fiscal growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    I think its more a lack of support for Brown and New Labour than a genuine support of Call Me Dave

The most worrying thing about the Tories economic plan,is really that they do not have one. Consistently they have talked of major cuts,yet have never been able to specify when and where these cuts would take place,and worse,when they were pushed to say when they would take place,Osbourne admitted they wouldn't take place for another year.
    '99% guarantee'? Good call on that,considering you are giving no real hard evidence on not just what they will do,becuase we will know that- cuts,cuts,cuts,cuts,cuts,cuts-but how they will do it and the effects,and until now they have not done that.
    I don't think even Osbourne himself is 50% sure he has a genuine effective economic plan,let alone 99% sure.
    The sad is neither Labour or the Conservative have an effective plan for sustained fiscal growth.
    I would put a lot of money down on the two parties bringing out solid economical plans by mid march. I'd predict harder cuts on the conservative side though which we need more than timid cuts from the labour plans.

ReputationRep:
    I would put a lot of money down on the two parties bringing out solid economical plans by mid march. I'd predict harder cuts on the conservative side though which we need more than timid cuts from the labour plans.
    I'd say mid march would be the earliest, last two weeks of March though probably.

Thats not a rocket science prediction but if the tory plans are only marginally harder, ie more around timing than substance then it barely matters.

But is big cuts on public expenditure needed so abrubtly now?
    I mean no one is denying higher taxes and a cuts will need to be made,but sharp cuts now would plunge us back into recession,and the Tories know that. i suppose thats why they won't implement these cuts for a year or so.
    I can't really distinguish any advantages from either the Tories coming in,or Labour staying where they are.
    **** we need a revolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    But is big cuts on public expenditure needed so abrubtly now?
    I mean no one is denying higher taxes and a cuts will need to be made,but sharp cuts now would plunge us back into recession,and the Tories know that. i suppose thats why they won't implement these cuts for a year or so.
    I can't really distinguish any advantages from either the Tories coming in,or Labour staying where they are.
    **** we need a revolution.
    I think the general consensus amongst voters is that we just need change from an outdated labour government, sometimes a change of government is necessary.

I think the general consensus amongst voters is that we just need change from an outdated labour government, sometimes a change of government is necessary.
    But what scares alot of people is the effect of a Conservative Government.
    They completely broke the country last time they had contol,and alot of people still feel they would be much worse than Labour,however hard that is.
    Months before the election they have no real policies,yet still blurting out about the same crap how bad Labour are. We know how bad they are,everyone does,but yet Cameron is still engaged in this pointless PR campaign about 'change'.
    And thats the most frightening part,that they get into power and have no real vision or goal. Getting Labour out of power should be a means to an end for them,yet for Call Me Dave it has become the end. He can see no further than June,just picking problems with what Labour have done wrong.
    People want policies,and people will see that they really have none in the coming months. Whether people have already made their mind up about Labour is another thing,but the prospect of the Tories getting into power is rather sary.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.