The Student Room Group
LuhLah
:s-smilie:

I'm having a bit of trouble revising it, I've managed to master the PPAs, fuels, naming hydrocarbons, all the alcohol shiz but I just can't take the rest of it in lol :|

any tips? im the worst with functional groups

Just put sticky notes around your room with the functional groups drawn on.
same with the proteins, draw each type and stick it on your wall. Look at it and try and remember its name, and where it is found (i.e. hair etc).

That's basically all I did to remember the Unit 2 stuff. Sticky notes are your friend :woo: :p:

Tip: make sure you know when O=C-N-H is an amide link, and when it's a peptide cause some people lost marks for that in my class.

And good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
FuturePilot
Just put sticky notes around your room with the functional groups drawn on.
same with the proteins, draw each type and stick it on your wall. Look at it and try and remember its name, and where it is found (i.e. hair etc).

That's basically all I did to remember the Unit 2 stuff. Sticky notes are your friend :woo: :p:

Tip: make sure you know when O=C-N-H is an amide link, and when it's a peptide cause some people lost marks for that in my class.

And good luck :biggrin:

thanks! isn't the peptide link N(H2)? Polyamides :awesome:

my teacher told us to revise C:h: ratios, properties of kelvar and bipol...are there any mole/yield calculations in the nab? If there is I'll cry lol
LuhLah
thanks! isn't the peptide link N(H2)? Polyamides :awesome:

my teacher told us to revise C:h: ratios, properties of kelvar and bipol...are there any mole/yield calculations in the nab? If there is I'll cry lol

Argh, I wrote a big paragraph then my internet went funny lol :mad:

Oh well...
no, NH2 is the amine functional group. A polyamide is when you have an amino acid joining an amino acid e.g.
~~~COOH H2N~~~COOH H2N~~~

releasing water and forming the amide/peptide link CONH

Yeah, C : H ratios come up, but it's a PS q. There's a % yield calculation but it's really easy :p: Most people in my class over-thought it.

Erm..make sure you know the chemistry behind fuels as there's a few fuels questions. Don't give common sense answers, e.g. "What are the structural differences between leaded and unleaded petrol?" don' say "there's no lead" (as someone in my class did) :p: yes, it's true; but they're looking for you to talk about the structure.

And also, know about resins etc

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
FuturePilot
Argh, I wrote a big paragraph then my internet went funny lol :mad:

Oh well...
no, NH2 is the amine functional group. A polyamide is when you have an amino acid joining an amino acid e.g.
~~~COOH H2N~~~COOH H2N~~~

releasing water and forming the amide/peptide link CONH

Yeah, C : H ratios come up, but it's a PS q. There's a % yield calculation but it's really easy :p: Most people in my class over-thought it.

Erm..make sure you know the chemistry behind fuels as there's a few fuels questions. Don't give common sense answers, e.g. "What are the structural differences between leaded and unleaded petrol?" don' say "there's no lead" (as someone in my class did) :p: yes, it's true; but they're looking for you to talk about the structure.

And also, know about resins etc

Good luck :biggrin:

thanks again, both of ya. ahaaa, the differences are something like branched/aromatic/cyclic molecules lol
LuhLah
thanks again, both of ya. ahaaa, the differences are something like branched/aromatic/cyclic molecules lol

No problem

Yeah :p:
Reply 6
I got full marks in my unit two NAB :smile: but I've got the prelim in two day :eek:
Reply 7
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay
There was a percentage yield question in both the practice and actual NAB I sat, so I think it's very likely to come up. However, it was very basic and I usually find them quite difficult but in the NAB I got it correct so I wouldn't worry about it. I think it was the last question in the NAB and was worth two marks if I remember correctly. Good Luck! :smile:

sounds like we had the same NAB :biggrin:
Reply 8
It was quite easy, totally bombed the last question and the bromine addition one tho :p: pretty sure I've passed, aside a few silly mistakes!

*is never all-nightering before exams again*
Reply 9
hah I was right, lost 3 marks lol, but passed :awesome:
LuhLah
hah I was right, lost 3 marks lol, but passed :awesome:

:p:
well done :biggrin:

I've got my prelim tomorrow :eek3:
Reply 11
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay

How did your prelim go?

Prelim was quite, difficult, definintley the hardest of my five subjects I do. Still I am pretty hopeful of getting a good mark, I counted the multiple choice questions that I was100 percent sure I got right to be 28/40. I struggled with a few of the section two questions but overall most of them were just straightforward calculations or knowlege. With a bit of luck I
may get an A but I would still be delighted with a B.

Latest

Trending

Trending