Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it's going to be rather expensive.

But everything together how much do you reckon it cost? I mean accommodation, fees, food, insurance, laptops, books, the lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also curious. I haven't saved any money for uni so deciding whether I should take a year out and try to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdviceSeeker09)
    I'm also curious. I haven't saved any money for uni so deciding whether I should take a year out and try to!
    I'm the same. I don't reckon my loan will cover it.

ReputationRep:
    for me. and how its going along at the moment.

i'd say just over 6 grand (that literally includes all money i'll be spending this year, presents for family, train tickets to see friends, EVERYTHING)

student loan doesn't even cover my accomodation

(oh and this doesn't count in fees btw, as that just goes straight to the uni and i dont actually see/handle that money)

ReputationRep:
    Well I owe the Student Loans Company and Natwest bank £30,000 after 3 years at uni.

So I presume the first year was roughly £10k. Thats including tuition fees and everything I spent any money on.

For comparison: I was pretty thrifty (cooking, predrinking etc) but I was living in central London which is very expensive compared to anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Well I owe the Student Loans Company and Natwest bank £30,000 after 3 years at uni.

So I presume the first year was roughly £10k. Thats including tuition fees and everything I spent any money on.

For comparison: I was pretty thrifty (cooking, predrinking etc) but I was living in central London which is very expensive compared to anywhere else.
    I was going to say that seems like a good deal for central London.

ReputationRep:
    I had a laptop before I started Uni, but on top of that I reckon about £4500-5000pa, thankfully you don't have to pay fees directly (they come from £3k of your loan, but it's £3k you don't see).

Not yet broken into my overdraft and I'm in my last semester at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I've budgeted £11000 for my first year for EVERYTHING including fees, presuming I'm going to Cambridge. £6200 of that will be non-repayable (between the grant and Cambridge bursary) as I'm from a low income household. I'll get the tuition fee loan and a £1000 maintenance loan to make it to £10500, and I've got alot of money saved up and I could always use my overdraft.

Reckon £10-11k is reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I spent...hm...

Accommodation: £4160
    Fresher's Fortnight: £300
    Books: £100
    Groceries: £520
    Treats for Me (incl. going out/meals)/Gifts for Other People: £500

£5580

Then £3000 of tuition fees. I didn't have any travel costs as I walked everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    I was going to say that seems like a good deal for central London.
    Im from rural Wales so I didnt have very expensive tastes

I'd mainly put it down to basics vodka, being taught how to cook by my dad at a young age and a very generous girlfriend with a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    Mine cost me £22k

ReputationRep:
    Before I started (laptop and accommodation deposit - private rent, I didn't get halls): £600
    The rest of the year for everything, books, kitchen equipment, rent, food, fun: £9,800
    Total: £10,400
    That's if I continue as I am currently which I think I will do. I will probably not spend about £200 of that, which I will then use for my accommodation deposit next year. So my second year will probably cost about £9,600 too (with £200 odd carrying over to third year).

This is in zone 2 London and living well, with gifts for family (to the tune of around £400 total I think), good food and a short holiday for myself.

Edit: £13,700 total with tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    Mine cost me £22k
    1 year at university cost you 22 thousand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    1 year at university cost you 22 thousand?
    Yes, I used to commute every day into Swansea,

tuition fees £1800
    rent £2400
    petrol £2150 approx
    car 1 £1500 (amount i lost when selling afterwards)
    car 2 £8000 (cost to buy)
    car 3 £4700 (restoration)
    drink £2000 approx

which is £22,550

ReputationRep:
    waaah it sounds like such a lot! I only got £600 saved so far, and I reckon Ill get £9000 from grants/bursaries etc... is this enough for Nottingham and catered accomodation?? *Panic!!*

ReputationRep:

I'd mainly put it down to basics vodka, being taught how to cook by my dad at a young age and a very generous girlfriend with a full time job.
    that gives me horrendous hangovers! bloody cheap though

ReputationRep:
    NOTHING.
    My first year was technically debt free

ReputationRep:

Lol I think the second kind of helped.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was about 11k (inc tuition)- I had about 9k in loans/grants, 1k savings, 1k overdraft; this was central London btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    NOTHING.
    My first year was technically debt free
    How did that work?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.