Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much did your First Year cost? Watch

ReputationRep:
    about 8k last year, 10k this year, +3k tuition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jen-bee)
    It's expensive regardless in some parts of the country. My rent this year comes to £6760, and thats excluding all bills. Doesn't leave much for anything else :\
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Mine will have to cost less than mu loan/grant/bursary and any random saturday job I can get (Y)

So like 7 grand or something - and that includes a probabaly 51 week let

<3

ReputationRep:
    christ on a minimum loan it could be an interesting year next year money wise......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    Makes you wonder doesnt it?

If most of us manage to survive on £8-12k a year, why do so many people with £20k+ salaries manage to get into horrendous amounts of debt?
    Because they have mortgages, cars, children, etc. :confused: Renting a single room in halls for 40 weeks a year is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a house for your family to live in...

Also, your expectations of life change when you have more money. Just because you can make do with the little money you have, doesn't mean you wouldn't easily spend £20k+ if you could.

ReputationRep:
    People are making it out as if it costs loads. I go to uni in Leeds and probably paid £4,000 for accomodation which included food and then had a £40 a week budget so £2,000. Then add another thousand for travel expenses, presents, excessive weeks etc. so overall about £7,000.

But you can do it much more cheaply. I was in catered accomodation which while easy and sociable doesn't save you money.

It's a bit unfair to say that as it really does depend on where you go to uni/what the uni offers! My uni has very limited housing, and therefore in my 'expensive' hall knew people who had put cheaper accommodation first and second but just didn't get it, and were shoved into their 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice.

My uni also doesn't offer catered accommodation; my rent last year was just a little more than yours (I think) not including food, and is about the same this year, not including food or bills. So I had to pay for food, which averages out at about £30 a week, sometimes a lot more if it's the beginning of a term. My bills can also be quite a lot.

Travel is about £100 a term, and then I've got to think about course books, clothes, presents, money for train tickets home, phone credit, and then other extraneous things like eye tests, dentist, e.t.c.

I keep an excell spreadsheet to keep track of my ingoings/outgoings, and I worked out that between October - end of Jan I've spent an average of £950 a month (:O) including everything. (It might usually be a little less than this, as I bought a bed and had to repair my laptop which cost a bomb).
    About £500 of that is for bills and rent, boo!
    It makes me sad that I have to spend so much :/

ReputationRep:
    People are making it out as if it costs loads. I go to uni in Leeds and probably paid £4,000 for accomodation which included food and then had a £40 a week budget so £2,000. Then add another thousand for travel expenses, presents, excessive weeks etc. so overall about £7,000.

But you can do it much more cheaply. I was in catered accomodation which while easy and sociable doesn't save you money. Go for the cheapest accomodation (providing it's not really far out meaning you pay what you saved back in travel expenses) and look for self-catered accomodation. If you cook as a pair you can save a fair bit of money - probs make it about £10-15 a week and making packed lunches will also save you a fair deal.

I also have a shopping addiction. If you draw out money at the beginning of the week and then not draw out any more, you will know exactly how much you have to spend. It's easier to see how when you spend £5 on lunch, you have exactly £5 less to spend when you go out.

My boyfriend doesn't spend as much as me, and still gets on fine at uni :-)
    Thanks for the tips, its making me a little less worried about debt.

Did anyone think you were being a little tight with your money? Thats what im worried about when i start in Sept

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Because they have mortgages, cars, children, etc. :confused: Renting a single room in halls for 40 weeks a year is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a house for your family to live in...
    Yeah thats probably the correct answer actually. Children are very expensive. I presume mainly due to the fact that someone has to look after them full-time.

But frankly if you cant afford a mortage, a car or a baby... dont get one :naughty:

Also, your expectations of life change when you have more money. Just because you can make do with the little money you have, doesn't mean you wouldn't easily spend £20k+ if you could.
    Nope I will always have the simple tastes of a student :yep:

Because the best things in life - friendship, love, music and earl grey tea - are very cheap

ReputationRep:
    I reckon 10-12k will see you through (including tuition fees). More like 12-14 if you're in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAA!)

Did anyone think you were being a little tight with your money? Thats what im worried about when i start in Sept
    If someone is going to judge you based on how much money you have; you dont want to be friends with them anyway.

Some more money saving tips if youre interested:

Never buy text books from high street book shops. Wait till they come up second hand on ebay, amazon marketplace or on a notice board in college for 1/5 the price. You dont have to buy them all in the first week of term either - you can borrow them off your friends if you need to.

When you move into private accomodation dont sign a 12 month contract. If you push them they'll change the contract to 9/10 months. A summers worth of rent is equivalent to thousands of pounds and well worth putting in a lot of effort to try and avoid.

ReputationRep:
    First years costing me something like 25, 000 i would think (i'm international so the fees are pretty pocket-draining)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice cubes are cool)
    Obviously it's going to be rather expensive.

But everything together how much do you reckon it cost? I mean accommodation, fees, food, insurance, laptops, books, the lot.
    £1500 overdraft completely used along with £800+ of savings. £3,225 fees. I havent had anything from student finances yet so im in a crap amount of debt and whats really pissing me off is i keep seeing that student finance applications for 2010/2011 are now open?? they can get the **** lost and process mine first!
    anyway my car insurence £550, road tax £120, Rent to date £1200, fees £3,225, trips £90, books £30, laptop already got one so cant count that and i have free access to internet and electricity cus its all inclusive accomodation. Food, christ knows, probs in the £400-£600 region. Erm £15-£20 a week petrol.. probs add annother £200 cus of new clothes, bed sheets, knife and fork and all that crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAA!)

No not really. I mean, in fresher's week you will need to have a fair amount as going out almost every night really adds up and this is one of the best ways to make friends. I limit myself to going out one or two nights a week which saves me loads in comparison to friends who go out at least four times. If you don't want to appear unsociable you can always go out with friends but not drink at all, or very much as this is is normally what makes nights out cost a bomb.

I also treat myself to buying a lunch about once a week with friends which again is nice and sociable. I'd say put aside about £200 for the first two weeks of uni which can include signing up to societies and nights out and no one will think you are tight. It's first impressions that count after all - so after you've gotten to know people then you can start being more careful with money.

One other pointer, and this sounds ridiculous, but try not to get in with the "rich crowd" if you don't have a lot of money. This happened to me, and when it came to looking for houses everyone else wanted to live somewhere way over what I could afford. Obviously some people that have a lot of money can recognise that other's dont so don't make a mass generalisation like I just did. It's just something top be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    It's a bit unfair to say that as it really does depend on where you go to uni/what the uni offers! My uni has very limited housing, and therefore in my 'expensive' hall knew people who had put cheaper accommodation first and second but just didn't get it, and were shoved into their 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice.

I keep an excell spreadsheet to keep track of my ingoings/outgoings, and I worked out that between October - end of Jan I've spent an average of £950 a month (:O) including everything. (It might usually be a little less than this, as I bought a bed and had to repair my laptop which cost a bomb).
    About £500 of that is for bills and rent, boo!
    It makes me sad that I have to spend so much :/
    I specifically said that I went to uni in Leeds, so I was saying that this is how much it costs me. Other posts were tending to make a generalisation out of it - obviously it varies greatly on the uni especially if you start looking at ones in central london.

Limited housing is always a bit of an issue. If you state your reasons for wanting the cheapest accomodation, and if you don't get given that choice then you are well within your rights to ask to be moved, or look for finiancial help from the uni itself. In my opinion, it's unacceptable for the university to place you in accomodation well beyond your financial means when you specifically stated your situation.

It is often the sudden expenses that can get you - like your laptop breaking etc. - which is why it's always good to consider a contigency fund for things like this when you're saving. Universities sometimes have "hardship" funds in place if something like this were to happen that was beyond your control.

OP, make sure to have a look into what bursaries and scholarships your university can offer. I just found out I should have been getting a bursary all along but wasn't sharing my information with the uni!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.