Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who actually likes Taylor Swift? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think she's OK, but don't get me started in Justin Bieber.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I like her. Writes her own music, plays it herself, it's decent music, not that much like corny country music and oh yeah, I would. It's relaxing music anyway, good for those 3AM minibus trips.

ReputationRep:
    I do. Although I did think she was slightly strange for "listening to the cat" until I found out what she was actually saying...

Why bring Justin Bieber into it - how are they in any way similar? He's rubbish and reminds me of an otter for some reason, and any 12 year old who sings about love is just weird.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never heard her before her performance at the Grammys and that was absolutely ****. I listened to a few of her tracks on Spotify too and they were dreadful.. so I don't like her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    I do. Although I did think she was slightly strange for "listening to the cat" until I found out what she was actually saying...

Why bring Justin Bieber into it - how are they in any way similar? He's rubbish and reminds me of an otter for some reason, and any 12 year old who sings about love is just weird.
    He's 15, nearly 16...I know your point still stands but he isn't 12.

ReputationRep:
    she writes her own music

that's good enough for me

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've actually listened to any of her songs but she seems nice enough and she's a very pretty girl.

Justin Bieber is cringeworthy.

ReputationRep:
    I like her and her music, especially the new song 'Today was a fairy tale'. Although a lot of her songs are quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    she writes her own music

that's good enough for me
    Really? Many artists write their own music.

ReputationRep:
    I like Taylor Swift - not because her music is particularly genius or anything, but because:

I like the way she blends in with any occasion. She could be singing a really soppy song like "Love Story", a rap song alongside T-Pain, Rock Music alongside Def Leppard, real country music like "Our Song", or doing comedy sketches on Saturday Night Live. She's very versatile in that sense, and I consider that quite an impressive skill to have. (Her stage presence on CMT Crossroads with Def Leppard was absolutely spectacular).

Also, many of her songs are interesting because they're autobiographical - we're told that they're specifically referring to her real life experiences, and it makes them particularly interesting to listen to, as though they're all stories. Also because she comes across as being a genuine "normal person" rather than just a Barbie Doll, and expresses in her music certain things that many people feel themselves. So she makes herself very relateable.

And, I'm naturally going to respect any singer who writes their own songs and music, and actually sings live on stage, rather than someone who is just a "pretty face, pretty voice", and an outlet for songs that someone else has written, and then just mouths along to the words on stage - because they're really more of a model than a singer or musician, and aren't exactly talented.

ReputationRep:
    well if she actually writes her own stuff she must have some kind of talent. that "love story" song is still a really good pop song. also, she'd totally get it

beiber's just a novelty act, he won't be around for long. I'm hoping for the heroin OD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Based on the quality of her music, not her looks.

Seriously? She won the Grammy award for best album? :sigh: If she's Grammy worthy, then so is Justin Bieber.

Okay, she had like two good songs & she's pretty. That's it.
    2 good songs and she is pretty and my age.

So you can see the attraction.

But as for Grammy worthy hell no.

ReputationRep:
    Her albums aren't too bad in all honesty, although from what I've seen she can't sing live to save her life. But I do have great respect for her for finally bringing country into light here in the UK.

Plus she did a rap with T-Pain for the CMT Awards :yep: which was just plain awesomeness.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Many artists write their own music.
    these days? not really no especially the manufactured pop acts that are spewed out every day

ReputationRep:
    I quite like her music, but overall I prefer Carrie Underwood :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    these days? not really no especially the manufactured pop acts that are spewed out every day
    Of course there are....like The Fray write their own music, with better, more meaningful lyrics and I see no recent Grammys or enough hype for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahhi)
    I quite like her music, but overall I prefer Carrie Underwood :love:
    Same, I think she beats Taylor a thousand times over.

ReputationRep:
    I don't

ReputationRep:
    Of course there are....like The Fray write their own music, with better, more meaningful lyrics and I see no recent Grammys or enough hype for them.
    your point being?

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an average savage. Quite jokes on how her songs rip apart her man whores (cough Joe Jonas)

I think Kanye West's 'College drop out' should have won at the grammys.
    I dont care if it wasnt even nominated. It was one of the best albums OF ALL TIME ! Just sayin.....

On that note, I was quite upset Kanye didnt perform with Drake, Weezy and Eminem. But Swift looked like she was enjoying it.

ah white girls, its the rap music that gets em !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.