Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got offers from both strathclyde and glasgow for chemistry, and I'm having a hard time deciding between both of 'em (firm and insurance).

I was set on going to strathy, but now I'm not so sure...

my offers are BBBB for strathy and ABBB for glasgow, so strathclyde will be easier to get into.

I'm trying to get things like the halls, cost of living, social & learning expierence into account...I know I can only really make the decision, but I really need some input from current students!!!

I'm going to be 17 when I go to uni, so it's prolly going to be crap for a couple of months, but I turn 18 in feb so :awesome:

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    For the social experience alone go for Glasgow (it has two unions, Strathys is probably going stop commercial trading in the next year or so).

Students tend to be more "studenty" at Glasgow.

There's not much in it in the league tables, Glasgow is 10th, Strathy is 12th.

ReputationRep:
    If it only comes down to the social experiences and money, then have a look at things like the cost of the gym and the clubs and societies on offer. Glasgow's library is a lot better than Strathy's, but you will be able to use both if need be. Night life isn't really any different since the centre isn't exactly far away from Glasgow, although living in the centre for Strathy will obviously make it easier and cheaper to stumble home of an evening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    For the social experience alone go for Glasgow (it has two unions, Strathys is probably going stop commercial trading in the next year or so).

Students tend to be more "studenty" at Glasgow.

There's not much in it in the league tables, Glasgow is 10th, Strathy is 12th.
    How are Strathclyde students less studenty? (Not ****ging you off just wondered why you thought that!)
    And I thought Strathclyde was thought to have the best union in Glasgow, there's always something on in it anyway, and it's huge!

Anyway, I don't think there's much between them in terms of reputation of the course or whatever. Just go with the university that is more "you". There usually is one that's more suited to you... Is there not more open days coming up in March or something? Go to them. It'll help you decide. I know Glasgow does a tour of the halls too on their open days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    How are Strathclyde students less studenty? (Not ****ging you off just wondered why you thought that!)
    And I thought Strathclyde was thought to have the best union in Glasgow, there's always something on in it anyway, and it's huge!

Anyway, I don't think there's much between them in terms of reputation of the course or whatever. Just go with the university that is more "you". There usually is one that's more suited to you... Is there not more open days coming up in March or something? Go to them. It'll help you decide. I know Glasgow does a tour of the halls too on their open days.
    Strathclydes union is failing, it's losing money and the uni has plans to close it and turn the building into a library. Definitely not the best union in Glasgow.

Glasgow uni has two, one had people like Nirvana and The Chillies play (ok, that was back in the day but more recently there was Biffy and Twin Atlantic) and the other is full of tradition and has 9 bars.

I just meant Glasgow students seemed to be more involved. Maybe because there's 4 student bodies instead of just one so it's more inclusive.

Definitely go to the open days OP. And go to the uni you prefer. Ask students on the open day how much they like the uni, and try to visit as much of the campus as possible (including the library, gym, accommodation and student unions).

ReputationRep:
    Strathclydes union is failing, it's losing money and the uni has plans to close it and turn the building into a library. Definitely not the best union in Glasgow.

Glasgow uni has two, one had people like Nirvana and The Chillies play (ok, that was back in the day but more recently there was Biffy and Twin Atlantic) and the other is full of tradition and has 9 bars.

I just meant Glasgow students seemed to be more involved. Maybe because there's 4 student bodies instead of just one so it's more inclusive.

Definitely go to the open days OP. And go to the uni you prefer. Ask students on the open day how much they like the uni, and try to visit as much of the campus as possible (including the library, gym, accommodation and student unions).
    Hm.. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree there! The union is pretty good here and doesn't show any signs of shutting down to me. They're currently holding elections for the new vice president. And they've extended 12 hour tuesdays to three times a week. 99p a drink oftt! Oh and Twin Atlantic were at Freshers week here too... and so were N Dubz... I'll give you Biffy though :PI wouldn't pick a uni because of it's union anyway, I don't really spend that much time there since my timetable is somewhat lacking this year.

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me that the strathy union was up for sale! (who went to caledonian and is now reapplying to strathy! :p:)

The first applicant day is the strathy applicant day, and if I'm not marjorly impressed beyond comprehension, then I'll see glasgow :awesome: My other choices were UWS & HW, but I'm not too interested in em anymore lol

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh Chemistry you're applying for? My cousin does it at strathy & loves it. I've never seen him around actually... strangee.

ReputationRep:
    If there's not much in it course quality wise think of things like the nightlife, societies you would want to join or even boring sounding things like the library. Compare the halls as well, I think Glasgow might have more spaces for students than strathy? Not entirely sure about that one though.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh shared accomidation :zomg: I'd die if I had to share a room with someone lol

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde doesn't have shared accommodation at all I don't think. A few blocks are a little off campus, btu not far in walking distance while the majority of Glasgow Uni's are spread out all over the place.

I heard the Union was moving in to the Student Village, but meh.

ALso cost wise they range from £60- 107 I think for Chancellors en-suite. I know a room at Cairncross House is £90-odd for a normal, while, the majority of Straths are £60 and £70 I'm sure at Birkbeck, Garnett and Forbes.

I think the Union is a bit meh... its alright... nothing great, but there's loads of other bits so close by anyway, I wouldn't base your decision on the Union.

ReputationRep:
    I think Glasgow is better in Engineering and Medical Science and Strathclyde is better in Business and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haris.gul)
    I think Glasgow is better in Engineering and Medical Science and Strathclyde is better in Business and Economics.
    What about chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haris.gul)
    Strathclyde is very good for Engineering :yes:

ReputationRep:

WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!

They had Biffy playing there?!?!?!

I'm going to go crazy! Biffy is my FAVOURITE BAND, living in Hungary, I've not yet had a chance to see them.

Which union did they play at?

ReputationRep:
    I chose Strath.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.