Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asking a girl out this close to valentines day Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I'm thinking of asking a girl I used to work with out for a drink one evening as I always quite liked her (plus I'm now single!). Was wondering what the consensus was though on whether I should do it now or wait until after the dreaded Feb 14th?

I mean, I know it's supposed to be a 'romantic' time that might be a good time to ask, but I thought of a few downsides:

- It might make me come across as being a bit desperate (i.e. I'm only doing it because I'm feeling lonely at this time of year or something).
    - Might it leave too much emphasis on the possibility of a relationship, even though we'd be at a very early stage (like first date!).
    - If I left it until afterwards, I'd save money on things like cards!

Just wondered whether there's any opinions on this, or whether anyone else has done/is thinking of doing the same!

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do it after so you save money

ReputationRep:
    Just think - If you leave it 'til afterwards, there's a strong possibility she will realise it's a money saving exercise!

ReputationRep:
    Leave it till after, might appear as very cheesy or something :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Do it after, because if you get together before then come valentines day it'll just be tricky trying to think of something to do/buy that is suitable for the early stage yet grand enough for valentines day.

ReputationRep:
    She'd be flattered if you did it now

ReputationRep:
    hmmm I've never thought about valentines day for people newly dating. It must be pretty awkward giving cards and presents to someone you barely know (although I guess it helps if you know her fro work). I'd say go for it, there's no point putting it off. If I was dating someone around Valentines Day I certainly wouldn't expect there to be a big thing.

ReputationRep:
    After, tacky otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for it now, at the end of the day it is just one day, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Do it now, if I were the girl and you did it after I'd think you were avoiding spending money.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm cheers guys... thinking about it, it's only a week until Valentines Day anyway... and I'm quite busy this week, so if we did meet up (assuming she said yes!), it'd have to be the week after next weekend anyway. So I guess I might just ask her over the course of this week at some point and just make no reference to the 14th!

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. Why would you be buying her cards? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I'm confused. Why would you be buying her cards? :indiff:
    Valentines card?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Valentines card?!
    Wait. If you go out for drinks sometime this week, you'd have to get her a valentines day card?! :lolwut: Damn!

ReputationRep:
    I think you're thinking about this way too much.

ReputationRep:
    I would say ask her out before Valentines day - then on Valentines day take her out for a meal and show ehr how much you care. Get her to know what a great person you are at the start of a relationship and it will lead towards a healthy one

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.