Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I find OCR / MEI textbooks in Mathematics expensive and they also have a lot of routine exercises which I don't need. I was looking for something more compact and instead of buying four books on Mechanics (M1-4), I found a very good explanation of A-level topics in Ohanian Physics (university first year text). Now I am looking for something similar in pure mathematics.

Can anyone recommend a book or two which cover the topics in Further Mathematics (FP1-3) and Mathematics (C1-4) syllabi at school or university first-year level?

ReputationRep:
    This is the AQA FP2 textbook. Changing the 2 in the URL to 3 or 4 will bring up AQA FP3 and 4 respectively. Not exactly what you were looking for but at least its free.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Are you teaching yourself or do you have a teacher? MEI books are expensive but they're the only things that are going to be completely relevant to the specification...I get mine 2nd hand off amazon :p:
    If you're already confident with Pure Mathematics and want to stretch yourself just for the love of maths I'm starting on the Schaum's Outline Series:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outl...ef=pd_sim_b_10

But wouldn't recommend those for learning for A-levels...just something I'm doing on Gap year :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    This is the AQA FP2 textbook. Changing the 2 in the URL to 3 or 4 will bring up AQA FP3 and 4 respectively. Not exactly what you were looking for but at least its free.
    Thanks! I'll definitely use this.

But the original question still remains.

It's not a money issue, it's a combination of clarity/money/storage space/what do I get out of it. I am so happy with my chapters on Mechanics in Ohanian (it's concise and doesn't take a lot of space) that I would like something similar for core maths. Thanks again, anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Are you teaching yourself or do you have a teacher? MEI books are expensive but they're the only things that are going to be completely relevant to the specification...I get mine 2nd hand off amazon :p:
    I am teaching myself. I don't worry much about the books not matching the specification exactly. I used the specification, past papers and OCR (not MEI) textbooks to prepare for Maths and it went really well. I noticed that I don't do any exercises from the textbooks and only need the theory part. Now when I am starting to prepare for Further Maths, I thought why do I need to buy the school text books at all if all I am interested in is a bit of theory covering the topics I need. I considered buying second-hand textbooks, but it's still at least three of them and their language is quite patronising.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by lexinuk)
    I am teaching myself. I don't worry much about the books not matching the specification exactly. I used the specification, past papers and OCR (not MEI) textbooks to prepare for Maths and it went really well. I noticed that I don't do any exercises from the textbooks and only need the theory part. Now when I am starting to prepare for Further Maths, I thought why do I need to buy the school text books at all if all I am interested in is a bit of theory covering the topics I need. I considered buying second-hand textbooks, but it's still at least three of them and their language is quite patronising.
    I suppose everyone learns differently :giggle: I couldn't do maths exams without doing the book questions, although I think I prefer your method for just learning maths :p: the MEI books I'll admit were a bit patronising...and did need some support material if you were going to actually learn maths, rather than just pass exams. I find the same with physics, I need to use the textbook to know what I need to know for exams...but spend lots of time with sources from the library learning theory and application.
    I reckon using the OCR standard textbook (if it's cheaper) and getting the MEI specification are good ways to start again but like you I'd also be interested to see if there's another source anyone can come up with, I reckon it'd be more difficult to find a pure source than a mechanics source...but it'd be good to see

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.