Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by paddy)
    I don't see why anyone would stay at home.

You have to move out sooner or later; living out encourages you to learn how to be independent and make friends, plus halls are almost always in more convenient locations for uni.

Personally, I'd had enough of home by the time I left for uni. I'd felt ready to leave home from about the age of 17, so when it got around to it I jumped at the chance. To me, uni is about so much more than a degree - it's about the learning experience. At some point in the future, you may have to live with a messy housemate or away from the comforts of 'home' - why not do it at a time when a large number of other people are in the same boat as you, and so can support you - and you have cleaners, too (this was also my logic for not going for an en-suite; I'm probably going to have to share my bathroom at some point in the future, whilst I have cleaners to clean it once or twice a week I may as well begin the learning process).

I understand people living at home for financial reasons, but they just seem to miss out on both the social life (and it's not only nights out - you meet so many people through living with and around them, it's such a change) and the learning experience of living with people you might not've expected in a way that you're not used to.

(Original post by itsraining)
    Also why should I live in a some place smaller than I am now? It makes no sense. I have a nice bedroom here at my parents and I don't intend to downsize for no logical reason.
    For me, personally, the learning curve of being with different people in a different way of life was enough of a reason. You do learn so much from living both away from home and at university, and I wouldn't've wanted to miss out on that learning and experience.

I live at home, honestly not that fussed.
    Most of my old friends stayed around me, it seems far more common in London somehow. I save a ton on rent/debts, I have a lot done for me. You guys talk about a 'learning curve', as thought living in halls is the way to learn how to be independent. Wtf, I'm not a retard, I could easily live away, I know how to use a washing machine, how to cook, how to clean... I just have the option not to. Obvs some things I'm missing out on, but overall I don't do too badly.

My best friend really wants me to move in with her next year, I don't know if I can even be bothered to though.

i stayed at home in the first year of my old course and i hated it, i also had a part time job down here, so while everyone else knew each other from halls and freshers weeks and everything, not only did i have that disadvantage, when the went out at the weekends i had to come home and work every weekend. i completely regretted not getting as far away as i could and living in halls!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2010
What's the best type of cheese?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.