Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is Britain so obsessed with the pound? watch

ReputationRep:
    The UK is probably the least culturally aware country in Europe, most British people are obsessed with political correctness and spout things like "WE'RE A DIVERSE COUNTRY, "THERE IS NO BRITISH CULTURE YOU RACIST BIGOT HOW DARE YOU!", they avoid flying flags, any display of overt patriotism makes you a racist or a weirdo and any attempt at mature discussion of immigration policy makes you a Nazi, fascist or KKK member.

With the climate in the UK concerning matters of patriotism, why the hell does the pound matter so much to people? If patriotism is generally frowned upon in this country, why the hell does the pound matter so much? British people are hardly culturally aware, so does it even matter?

Surely the Euro goes quite well with the idea of diversity and open border policies? Most British people avoid any display of patriotism, yet when the pound is mentioned they come out all-flag flying and "British is best", etc.

You can use it to hit people.

"Do you want a pound?"
    "Sure!"

:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Because people are morons.

+there's a fair few economic reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Island mentality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The UK is probably the least culturally aware country in Europe, most British people are obsessed with political correctness and spout things like "WE'RE A DIVERSE COUNTRY, "THERE IS NO BRITISH CULTURE YOU RACIST BIGOT HOW DARE YOU!", they avoid flying flags, any display of overt patriotism makes you a racist or a weirdo and any attempt at mature discussion of immigration policy makes you a Nazi, fascist or KKK member.

With the climate in the UK concerning matters of patriotism, why the hell does the pound matter so much to people? If patriotism is generally frowned upon in this country, why the hell does the pound matter so much? British people are hardly culturally aware, so does it even matter?

Surely the Euro goes quite well with the idea of diversity and open border policies? Most British people avoid any display of patriotism, yet when the pound is mentioned they come out all-flag flying and "British is best", etc.
    Since when is patriosm frowned upon?
    In politics it is, within the people it's not. My area is extremely patriotic but also very racist.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of economic reasons as said above. if we had the euro, who dares think how bad this recession would have been....

ReputationRep:
    Mostly because a large proportion of the UK population are idiots.

I'd prefer the Euro, TBH.

ReputationRep:
    It's for historical reasons. It is about our own sense of patriotism and personal identity. I love it although economically it has it's advantages and disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the pound when it was really strong against the euro, made festival season cheap. ;<

ReputationRep:
    At the moment we can set interest rates help us get out of recession ect. If we had the euro then I think we would have to use a set interest rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowmonkeyman)
    It's for historical reasons. It is about our own sense of patriotism and personal identity. I love it although economically it has it's advantages and disadvantages.
    The decimal pound is not historic. 40 years is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Its not worth the hassle of adopting the Euro. you loose alot of economic power when you take the Euro, like the EU central bank would control intrest rates, not the BofE

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm for going back to pounds shillings and pence. Much more interesting, and would improve everyone's mental arithmetic skills no end. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    So that we can set our own monetary policy. The Bank of England is probably the best national bank in the world and needs to make choices for our country, not the EU central bank. We were free to devalue our currency through quantitative easing, a necessity in recent times. Were we part of the Euro, we would not have that freedom: we would be forced to endure the same monetary policy set for a group of countries with completely different economies to each other and to us.

ReputationRep:
    Whys your mom so obsessed with my penis?

Because it's big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    The Bank of England is probably the best national bank in the world
    This is a joke right?

ReputationRep:
    The idea is we can keep ourselves a bit richer than the rest of Europe. Eastern europe drags down the value of the euro. eastern europeans rush here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    This is a joke right?
    At least I've put forward an argument as to why we should keep the pound. You've yet to justify why you would prefer the Euro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meebodied)
    The idea is we can keep ourselves a bit richer than the rest of Europe. Eastern europe drags down the value of the euro. eastern europeans rush here
    Eastern Europe isn't in the Eurozone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Eastern Europe isn't in the Eurozone.
    Oh right well they could soon

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.