Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    Flawless logic.

And Greece's low credit rating is not the prime reason for the devaluation of the Euro as the guy you quoted and agreed with suggested. So do me a favour and do your own research instead of spouting crappy media junk news.
    I mean that is will be the most ****** because its in the media

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I want to keep the pound is because I know the value of it!

If we converted to euros, I'd have to revert everything back to pound values so I knew if I was being ripped off or not!

ReputationRep:
    ******** anyone? Greece is a ****** country, no doubt. But it is not the ********* out of the original 15 European countries (I dont' wanna count the new Eastern European countries...). By any measure. Be it deficit or public debt or inflation -- Greece is NOT the greatest problem in the EU right now for you to dump the problems of the Euro on her. There's Ireland (with the highest deficit), there's Italy (with the largest public debt) and there's Belgium (highest inflation). Greece is very close no doubt but not the Queen by any measure.

Hands off Italy.
    We contribute to the EU more than you do.

I wish so much the EU was still the 6 nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frieza)
    Hands off Italy.

rofl chill you are x6 the size of Greece. Greece has 11 million people you have 60 million people. It is only natural that you will contribute more money.

And this doesn't change the fact that you have the largest public debt in the EU. Sorry.

And I wish the EU didn't exist.

edit: I'm not "trashing'" Italy btw... I only presented the facts

edit2: and there was no 6 nation EU. That wasn't the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Hands off Italy.

Wouldn't be a very European Union if it only had the original six nations in it now, would it?

The EU only has a point in it's current state encompassing most of Western, Northern, Southern and Eastern Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    The only reason I want to keep the pound is because I know the value of it!

If we converted to euros, I'd have to revert everything back to pound values so I knew if I was being ripped off or not!
    You know that the exchange rate is virtually 1:1, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    for now it is

ReputationRep:
    Nope.. I'd still check if those pesky shop keepers were ripping me off though *shakes fist*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We're an island - physically separate from the rest of Europe. That's the stem of most patriotism. Probably including my own. You wouldn't expect a country like Iceland to necessarily follow the trends in Europe, so why should we?

ReputationRep:
    If we had've taken the Euro, we would've been completely ****** in the recession.

Not to mention that a huge proportion of our economy is based on our financial sector, so we should have our own currency to optimise this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really bothered, as long as we're still as rich as we are now!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be a very European Union if it only had the original six nations in it now, would it?

The EU only has a point in it's current state encompassing most of Western, Northern, Southern and Eastern Europe.
    What do you mean the original six nations? the EU never included only 6 nations. I assume you mean the 6 nations that started the European communities. But that wasn't the EU. The EU was formed in 1995 (Maastricht Treaty). I think it already had 12(?) members by that time.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean the original six nations? the EU never included only 6 nations. I assume you mean the 6 nations that started the European communities. But that wasn't the EU. The EU was formed in 1995 (Maastricht Treaty). I think it already had 12(?) members by that time.
    I know.

But, formally organised or not, most people chart the existence of the EU back to the European Coal and Steel Community, which comprised West Germany, France, Italy and The Benelux Nations. The EU has directly evolved from the ECSC.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The public want to keep the pound because they're morons. They know nothing about economics and also while on the one hand loathe patriotism they seem to orgasm over the traditions and history of the pound.

As for the government's reasons, it's partly to keep the people happy, and also for sound economic reasons. Due to Britain retaining its own currency, we keep monetary policy, which is a vital economic tool, considering how different our economy is from the rest of Europe's. Also, our business cycles are much more akin to those in the US, meaning it's more important we keep independent economic control to ensure the best policy for Britain. (We could in the future adopt the Euro, and our business cycles are starting to converge to those in Europe, but this has only started to happen recently and so we can't tell how true this is or not.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    The UK is probably the least culturally aware country in Europe, most British people are obsessed with political correctness and spout things like "WE'RE A DIVERSE COUNTRY, "THERE IS NO BRITISH CULTURE YOU RACIST BIGOT HOW DARE YOU!", they avoid flying flags, any display of overt patriotism makes you a racist or a weirdo and any attempt at mature discussion of immigration policy makes you a Nazi, fascist or KKK member.
    Nobody says that. Only left wing students

Because that's what foreigners do. We know we are patriotic.

All in all we want to keep the pound because it is ours and it's British.

ReputationRep:
    It's so we can get more Euro to the Pound and more Dollar to the Pound with exports and holidays abroad :top:

ReputationRep:
    Hands off Italy.

Italy may put €13bn more in, but it takes €24bn more out than the UK. We lose the second most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Nobody says that. Only left wing students

Because that's what foreigners do. We know we are patriotic.
    The foreigners speak louder than us, so their patriotism for their own race and country gets heard over ours and people think it's the whole British population :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    It's an subtle and acceptable form of patriotism. If we lose the pound it's a major symbolic loss.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the Euro is now the most traded and powerful currency in the world couldn't hurt the case to adopt it, as well.

Haha, well that is debatable. Granted it is a powerful currency but so is the U.S dollar and British pound and when it comes to an economic crisis Britain and the U.S have control over their own money unlike those in the eurozone.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.