Turn on thread page Beta

Why is Britain so obsessed with the pound? watch

ReputationRep:
    our money is much better looking than the euro

Also ..when I go clothes shopping ..when looking at the price, it also says how much it costs in euros :P
    My new tk max top- £10 ..but 18 euros :yep:

ReputationRep:
    People fear change. People have been using the pound their entire lifetimes. :ms:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    It's an subtle and acceptable form of patriotism. If we lose the pound it's a major symbolic loss.
    Glad someone managed to nail it on the head.

I'd much rather have the queen on my coin than some nobody from the EUSSR on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)

I'd much rather have the queen on my coin than some nobody from the EUSSR on it.
    Of course - given that just about every other source of patriotism has been effectively banned under the label of 'racism and xenophobia'. Just imagine if the English asserted their national loyalties and affections in the way the Americans do! That is why most conservative Europeans do admire the US in some way - they look to America and see something Europe once had, and it is also why the European left-liberals have a knee-jerk anti Americanism.

Losing the pound would just about be the psychological knockout blow for this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazza123)
    Haha, well that is debatable. Granted it is a powerful currency but so is the U.S dollar and British pound and when it comes to an economic crisis Britain and the U.S have control over their own money unlike those in the eurozone.
    I love how everyone goes on about the dollar being sovereign. Do we not remember that the US is a federal state and the only reason the dollar is so powerful is because individual states replaced their own currency with the dollar when they joined the Union? How is that different from EU member states joining the Euro to form a strong currency bloc? An attachment to our historic pound is not a sound reason to not join the Euro, and as has been pointed out above, by not joining Britain risks marginalising itself from the Union, as well as ending in a situation where we are less than graciously forced (through economic or legal forces) to join the Euro anyway. I say, why not get it over and done with, especially while the exchange rate is close to 1:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)

But you do realise that the queen could also be on British Euro coins, yes?

ReputationRep:
    I'm indifferent about it all to be honest. If adopting the Euro is better for us economically, we should go for it. If keeping the Pound is better, we should keep it. When it comes down to it, we need to stop thinking with our hearts and start thinking with our heads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Except for all the incessant whining about how things viewed as traditionally British being either abandoned or taken over by foreign interests? Cadbury's is a superb example. There are sound commercial reasons to worry about Kraft taking over Cadbury's, but the national media rolled out sentimentalist headlines evoking nostalgic feelings - focusing on how American chocolate [which is quite a broad generalisation] is apparently crap, and how it is a part of British heritage, etc.

We are very much a nostalgic nation. We have nothing to look forward to, or at least large portions of the media would have us believe that, and thus many Brits seek solace in how things used to be.
    One example is hardly representative, good sir.

ReputationRep:
    National Identity.

ReputationRep:
    The most successful trolls are subtle in their trolling or have an element of truth about them.

Troll fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCG)
    Italy may put €13bn more in, but it takes €24bn more out than the UK. We lose the second most.
    True, but I was just answering to SunOfABeach that presented Italy as a problem for the EU, when it's actually one of the only 4/5 countries to really pay the bills.

ReputationRep:
    And by the way, we have a **** on our coins:

Top that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    A currency stands for nothing - it is a tool.

We could have the Queen's head or traditional heraldic symbols on a Euro.

People need to know when to let go of "tradition" and embrace change.
    So come on then Mr. Big shot. Why should we change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    So come on then Mr. Big shot. Why should we change?
    I made an extensive post on this on page 3. Go read.

ReputationRep:
    i think you have chosen an unfortunate moment to raise this - as greece's debt burden causes instability throughout the eurozone and devalues the currency.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.