Structure of a Personal Statement Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chez88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
How should i structure it? like what content should i put in each paragraph i just rly need a framework to get me started otherwise ino itll b rly jumbled up! any help would be great! x
Musicalie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you looked in any of the 'sticky' threads in this forum. There's a lot of very useful information in them on how to write a PS with links to sites with examples of PS.
Chez88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Alyssa~)
Have you looked in any of the 'sticky' threads in this forum. There's a lot of very useful information in them on how to write a PS with links to sites with examples of PS.
Yeah but it kinda confused me! ive just been looking at loadza stuff n getin more confused what have you done to help you with nursing?
Musicalie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chez88)
Yeah but it kinda confused me! ive just been looking at loadza stuff n getin more confused what have you done to help you with nursing?
I must admit I'm struggling like hell to get this personal statement written. I kinda know in my head how I'm going to set it out i.e. why I want to study the subject, then go on to write about any relevant work experience and my hobbies but it's just finding the right words. So far I've just written a list of what I'm going to include.

Well, in the past I've worked in two nursing homes and will be starting work again in one in September. I'm also going to pop down to my local hospital in the next few days and enquire about doing some work shadowing there and hopefully talk to some nurses about the work they do.

Are you getting any further with your PS?
fuglyduckling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Here's my framework:

PARA 1: Why I like the subject. Particular areas of interest in the subject. For example:

As a student, I marvel at the complexities and innateness behind language. I find looking synoptically at languages, and language in general, utterly captivating - the fact that language, in some form, is our primary means with which to communicate and thus to interrelate with others, lends the study of language the utmost significance. In my opinion, the comprehension of a foreign language is not only interesting, fun and rewarding, but also very important; it affords one the opportunity to gain access to new ideas, previously unintelligible works of literature and a whole new culture. I personally enjoy learning and exploring language as well as reading and studying literature, thus a Modern Languages degree would be ideal for me.

PARA 2: Special extras. Talk about books you've read (and what you were most interested in within said books), work experience (what you've learned there) and any competitions or awards you have won, related to academia/your subject. Constantly link these things to your interest in the subject, and insinuate how it makes you a better, motivated student with a real interest in the subject. Here is my second para, for Modern Languages:

My A-level studies have consolidated my interest in Modern Languages and Linguistics, and encouraged me to challenge and expand upon my perceptions of these subjects. The subtle use of metaphor and allegory that was revealed to me in Kafka's `Die Verwandlung´, for instance, has particularly interested me, and led me to explore other texts of his, including `In the Penal Colony´, `The Trial and a short anthology of his short stories. I am currently exploring the work of another jewish author, Joseph Roth. `Introducing Linguistics´ by R.L Trask fuelled my interest in the workings of language and introduced me to the fascinating area of semantics. The insightful theory and ideas, expressed in the Chomsky's enjoyable 'Theory of Universal Grammar' drew my attention to the idea of XXX, as well as the intriguing concept of XXX. The more practical aspect of Phonetics similarly enthuses me and I also look forward to in-depth study of this linguistic area. Visits to Germany, and talks given by guest German speakers, have been both interesting and stimulating, allowing me gain real insight into the country and its people. This insight was fundamental in helping me to win joint first place in the annual Cambridge University Essay Writing Competition, entitled `My Image of Germany´.

PARA 3: Positions of responsibilty, school life.

Active participation in the school community has been a very rewarding aspect of school life. My role as senior prefect throughout secondary school taught me invaluable time-management skills as did my demanding position of producer for a radio show on the college's radio station and my enjoyable, yet challenging, role as Student Council representative in 6th form - a role which further strengthened my strong personal and communication skills and allowed me to make a positive non-academic contribution towards school life. Additionally, my work as a Millennium Volunteer afforded me the pleasant opportunity to help others around me. I have also worked in an office, in an administration capacity, where the responsibility that was placed upon me motivated me to perform at my true potential, ensure that deadlines were met, put in extra effort and thereby achieve my goals.

PARA 4: Interests. Keep it brief. Show that you have fun, play sports, and that you will add to university life and not just sit in your room working. Try to link it to your subject to show you regard it as an interest.

Outside school, my interests in music and literature have proved a helpful balance to my academic work. Other interests of mine include computers, logic puzzles, magic and sport - in particular football, squash, badminton and tennis, all of which I play regularly. One further interest of mine is travel; I find experiencing different ways of life and probing other countries' cultures and ideas fascinating. A recent family trip, around Asia and the Southern Hemisphere, opened my eyes to the captivating linguistic and cultural differences between different nations, and made clear to me just how much information a country's language reveals about its populace.

PARA 5: CLosing para. Talk about ambition and future plans. Keep it brief.

I am very ambitious, and in the future I hope to either venture into business (through the route of a post-graduate professional qualification), or to pursue German to post-graduate level with a view to entering academia. Presently I am unsure as to what I shall choose - I wish to see where the subject takes me. I am a motivated and well organised student, and believe that my love of the subject and appreciation of the demands of a degree course will make me a successful, self-sufficient student.

Mine was by no means a perfect statement, but it got me in everywhere I wanted to go. I understand that it may be a bit irrelevant depending on what course you are going for, but the general ideas and framework will hopefully help!
Musicalie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Clarkey_Berlin)
Mine was by no means a perfect statement, but it got me in everywhere I wanted to go. I understand that it may be a bit irrelevant depending on what course you are going for, but the general ideas and framework will hopefully help!
No, this is a huge help! Thanks a lot for posting this.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Mine is basically my reasons for choosing the course, what I've found interesting about the subject at A-level, the wider reading around the syllabus I've done (and here you could put any relevant trips or work experience), how my other subjects tie in, my interests (and here you could include responsibilities in school and extra-curricular activities) and a bit about my future plans. There's no rigid structure to it though. As long as you include that sort of thing, the order is up to you.
leannemarie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ditto what Kelly has said though I would add that it's good to make it as obvious as possible right at the beginning that you love what you're applying for.
leannemarie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Clarkey_Berlin)
Here's my framework:
`Introducing Linguistics´ by R.L Trask fuelled my interest in the workings of language and introduced me to the fascinating area of semantics. The insightful theory and ideas, expressed in the Chomsky's enjoyable 'Theory of Universal Grammar' drew my attention to the idea of XXX, as well as the intriguing concept of XXX. The more practical aspect of Phonetics similarly enthuses me
PARA 3: Positions of responsibilty, school life.

Additionally, my work as a Millennium Volunteer afforded me the pleasant opportunity to help others around me. I have also worked in an office, in an administration capacity, where the responsibility that was placed upon me motivated me to perform at my true potential, ensure that deadlines were met, put in extra effort and thereby achieve my goals.
Ooh someone else who likes semantics & pragmatics. I thought it was just me!! And a fellow MV, very impressive, though I've almost finished now. Where did you get offers from & did you apply for German & Linguistics or just general modern langs?
fuglyduckling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
TBH, I didn't do much as a Millenium Volunteer.

S + P are both interesting; how we use and interpret language is v. important, IMHO.

I applied for different courses at different universities - but all were related to Modern Languages.

I applied to Bristol, Notts, Soton, Manchester, Oxford, Leeds
leannemarie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the same about S & P as you! I find sociolinguistics interesting too, how we use language differently depending on who we're talking to is something most people can relate to. I managed to set up my own citizenship/languages project as an MV, just beginning to realise it's going to be a lot of work!! Anyhow, I shall stop hijacking the thread
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%