The Student Room Group

Love my boyfriend but miss the excitement of being single

I 19 and am currently in my first, real, loving proper long term relationship. My boyfriend is awesome, I love him to bits and everyone says we are meant to be.

Unfortunately I am now starting to get antsy.

Up until we got together 6 months or so ago I had always been Single or "Complicated" and now I sort of miss the drama. I miss the exciting stages at the beginning of something. I miss meeting new people and wondering what if. I miss nights out as a singleton (I don't mean that to sound slutty).

I haven't met someone else but now I'm scared that I'm never going to have that excitement of meeting someone new. Basically standard commitaphobic behaviour.

Please help...
Reply 1
I don't know what answers you're expecting, but it's a decision really. Would you rather trade your relationship to experience that singleton excitement again? Realise that once you are single, you will probably crave the security and stability of a relationship.

I think it's very common to feel like that, particularly as we're so young and there's no rush to settle down. I get that feeling too from time to time, but I know there's no way I'd break up with my partner simply for that reason alone.
Reply 2
Yeah, I'm aware there is an element of "the grass is always greener on the other side". I don't think I'll break up with him, I think I did just want to hear other people say they'd felt the same.

It's just very strange to be in a situation where there is no obvious reason for us to break up. Ever. No distance or different life plans or underlying personality clashes. I never thought I'd meet someone like this until my mid twenties and I guess it's a bit scary.
I am 23 and I started to feel like I missed singledom after 3 years in a relationship...I should have got out of the relationship way sooner because I ended up cheating on him because I was seeking excitement :s-smilie:
Anonymous
I am 23 and I started to feel like I missed singledom after 3 years in a relationship...I should have got out of the relationship way sooner because I ended up cheating on him because I was seeking excitement :s-smilie:

¬¬
Reply 5
Like Meh said, it's a personal choice. You need to choose one or the other, there is no "I want to be single, but stay with my boyfriend at the same time" option. You're bound to feel a bit constrained at times, that's only natural, but I'd say it's a bit immature to jump ship for that reason alone.
I knw exactly how you feel, i came out of 2 longterm relationships ones after the other with complete idiots!!!! I came out completely hurt and now im seeing someone whos lovely and theres actually nothing bad i can say about him. Yet i feel antsy and wana remain single! God knows why. Its crazy i think your gona feel a bit antsy and reluctant to be completely taken and let yourself go. You sound happy with him, so dont go astray, thats not fair on him and you will regrett it believe me. I think over time you will feel more comfortable with the idea of not being single. I think im getting over the antsy stage and just being greatful for having someone so lovely as a bf.

Latest

Trending

Trending