Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my schools problem is that it doesnt offer certain subjects together... not that it doesnt offer them. Can't do three sciences, or maths + english together, + there aren't any languages taught at my school whatsoever. :|

ReputationRep:
    Textiles
    Law

The 6th form I REALLY wanted to go to didn't have politics or psychology, which sucks because it was a really good one as well. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form offers most things except Geology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    my schools problem is that it doesnt offer certain subjects together... not that it doesnt offer them. Can't do three sciences, or maths + english together, + there aren't any languages taught at my school whatsoever. :|
    How big is your year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    How big is your year?
    theres around 180 in my year group, it's a failing school so we got turned into an academy last year, hence the ridiculous languages thing. It sucks because i wanted to take french and german, but instead got pushed into doing ICT and double technology. Swapping schools for sixth form hopefully

edit: and about 240 places in sixth form with upper sixth as well >.<

ReputationRep:
    My sixth didn't offer things like Ancient History, Archaeology, Latin, any language except French/German/Spanish, Law, Media or Film Studies.
    I would have done Ancient History and Archaeology as A Levels if I could

ReputationRep:
    English language or English language & literature. Would've loved to do it. I did Eng Lit and hated it, but would have loved language.

Also would have prefered ancient history to history (mind you, by the end of year 13 I would've preferred anything to history).

I'm also surprised my school didn't offer history of art or latin as it was quite a pretentious private/boarding school. We didn't do critical thinking or general studies either, but I'm not distraught about that.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe the amount of subjects some colleges don't offer! I never realised how fortunate I was, what with the choice available at mine... we have basically everything the average person would want to do, and it's only the slightly obscure ones I mentioned before that we don't have! Quite alarming, the amount that don't offer languages and things... Also I'd never heard of the concept of timetable clashes stopping people from taking certain subject combinations before using TSR! I guess that's the benefit of going to a standalone sixth form with 1,700 students; you can do any subjects in any combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    I can't believe the amount of subjects some colleges don't offer! I never realised how fortunate I was, what with the choice available at mine... we have basically everything the average person would want to do, and it's only the slightly obscure ones I mentioned before that we don't have! Quite alarming, the amount that don't offer languages and things... Also I'd never heard of the concept of timetable clashes stopping people from taking certain subject combinations before using TSR! I guess that's the benefit of going to a standalone sixth form with 1,700 students; you can do any subjects in any combination.
    Lucky! "the timetable clashes" is all I seem to hear at my school -yet it doesn't seem to be occuring to people to simply switch to another school, which im hoping to do

ReputationRep:
    The only one I may have considered would be Law.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, crud like Geology, any languages apart from German and French, Photography, Film, Law, Accounting, Ancient History, some other stuff as well probably.

ReputationRep:
    Economics!! I would've loved to have done this as I want to do economics at uni but I took Physics instead and am actually really enjoying it so never mind. It only really annoys me as they dropped the subject the year I started sixth form!

ReputationRep:
    Additional further maths, shame because i would have done it.

ReputationRep:
    R.E *sigh* deffo would do R.E if my sixth form added that subject.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Additional further maths, shame because i would have done it.
    I've never heard of a school actually offering Additional Further Mathematics...everyone I've ever heard of that did it taught themselves...think because it's just more Math modules, and after 2 Alevels in Maths it goes into the do it for your own sake if you want category

I taught myself the AS but never took the exams :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Spanish.

Which is probably quite good actually, because I've been studying it outside of school instead for about three years, and I have a place to study it at Oxford next year!

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't offer many A-Levels compare to other schools/colleges but an A-Level I would like to do but can't is Politics.

ReputationRep:
    Latin, Greek and Classical Civilisations are obvious omissions but this is pretty much standard for state schools. Archaeology was offered but has been discontinued. The only other omissions are also obscure - e.g. Geology, Japanese and Accounting; but we do have World Development!

ReputationRep:
    everything except bio, chem, phy, maths. (for science students)

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy.

**** my college.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.