Turn on thread page Beta

What A-level subjects are NOT offered at your school/college? watch

ReputationRep:
    beans on toast making
    had to do it elsewhere :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Mine doesn't do philosophy off the top of my head, but my high school (which I left) hardly done anything - no chemistry, physics, economics, politics, law, further maths etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    theres around 180 in my year group, [...] and about 240 places in sixth form with upper sixth as well >.<
    That's just lazy timetabling, then. My sixth form was a similar size and I think only one person wasn't able to have their subjects timetabled. There is no need for option blocks. Moving sounds like a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    English Language Had to do Literature instead )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    That's just lazy timetabling, then. My sixth form was a similar size and I think only one person wasn't able to have their subjects timetabled. There is no need for option blocks. Moving sounds like a good idea.
    thats what I thought - basic subject combinations arent available, my school tend to place heavy emphasis on subjects such as health & social care or business studies diplomas, so i've chosen to move to a larger sixth form that don't use the option block system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    Mine doesn't do philosophy off the top of my head, but my high school (which I left) hardly done anything - no chemistry, physics, economics, politics, law, further maths etc!
    Chemistry? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian_Star)
    Chemistry? :eek:
    Yep, it's why I left. They wanted me to stay because I play a sport for them, and said they can arrange for me to travel to another school to take it.

I said no, naturally!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Varciani)
    No Chemistry or Physics???? :eek: No wonder you left!

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere near me did Ancient History. :cry: The closest I've ever found was some scummy school offering Classical Civilisations. I now would also have appreciated taking Latin GCSE, but the only places I know of offering that are an all-girls school and a Catholic school, neither of which I would have wanted to attend.

I'm also at one of the few schools that offers English Language, and I foolishly decided not to take it. Would have preferred straight Philosophy over Philosophy and Ethics - nowhere offers that. Quite difficult to find a school that offered both Music Tech and Drama without a clash, back when I wanted to do it.

Tl;dr - my A-Level choices were mucked up. Should I reapply next year, I will attempt to correct this.

ReputationRep:
    I would have loved it if we offered Politics, at least for AS! My friend's sixth form offers it but they don't offer English Language so I stayed, I would've ended up dropping Politics for A2 anyway.

After mass failures and the main teacher leaving, they've just stopped doing Sociology here too, but there's a pretty wide range considering (no classics/latin/languages other than Spanish/German/French but barely anyone does those offered so I can see why). No Photography, but it's included in some of the Art course. We also offer RE: Philosophy and Ethics over plain Philosophy which a lot of people don't like. Not sure about any others...

I'm quite amazed some places don't offer the sciences or any languages! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernij)
    Politics/Economics - there was a teacher who taught this, but he retired several years ago.
    Law... I suppose this would be useful if someone wanted to go into law.
    From everyone I've spoken to (law teachers, head of sixth form, law lecturer at nottingham etc..) if you want to go in to law your best bet is to NOT take the A level.

a level tamil

ReputationRep:
    Classics
    Philosophy
    RS
    Geography
    Art
    None of the languages are offered.
    Economics
    Accounting
    History of Art
    Law
    Photography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haithere)
    From everyone I've spoken to (law teachers, head of sixth form, law lecturer at nottingham etc..) if you want to go in to law your best bet is to NOT take the A level.
    That's interesting... any idea why?

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting... any idea why?
    I believe it's due to being too focussed on law specifically.. they prefer you to get other skills and knowledge from other subjects, which you can then apply to a law career.

Many law firms in fact prefer you to do a different degree and then convert to law, which is what I intend to do.

It's also to do with picking up bad habits.. many law firms like things to be done 'their way'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haithere)
    I believe it's due to being too focussed on law specifically.. they prefer you to get other skills and knowledge from other subjects, which you can then apply to a law career.

Many law firms in fact prefer you to do a different degree and then convert to law, which is what I intend to do.

It's also to do with picking up bad habits.. many law firms like things to be done 'their way'.
    Ok! Thanks for that. They all make sense!

ReputationRep:
    Ok! Thanks for that. They all make sense!
    No worries :P

ReputationRep:
    Law
    Travel and Tourism
    Politics
    Most languages (only french and german are offered, and spanish if the demand - more than 3 - is high)
    Economics (has been introduced to the lower sixth this year though)
    General Studies (ditto economics)
    Geology
    Accounting
    Further Additional Maths
    Media Studies
    Film Studies
    Drama
    World Development
    Performence Studies
    Theatre Studies
    Ancient History
    Human Biology
    History of Art
    Applied Science
    Textiles
    Graphics
    Sociology
    Buisness Studies
    Dance
    Resistant Materials (though they do offer engineering AS to people doing their GCSEs)
    Medieval History
    3D Design
    ICT
    Computing
    Ancient Greek
    Food Tech
    Electronics
    Fine Art
    Archaeology
    Eng lang and Englit combined

This is what you get when you go to a girls grammar school with 120 people per year!
    They do, however, offer Englang, Philosophy and R.E. which most said they didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I would have loved to do classics like many others on this thread!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't offer physics or classics, both of which I'd've liked to do. Not sure what else it doesn't offer - only offers languages in twilight time though. Also operates on a moronic block system.

The really annoying thing is that, since getting stuck in with my AS levels, I've discovered that they often drop subjects for A2 if not enough students want to take them or if they only have a teacher for AS. For example, it's highly likely that I won't be able to continue with Philosophy at my current college, and possible that History and Economics won't go ahead either. In which case I'll have to transfer to a different college, which is highly undesirable.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.