Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My Tutor seems to ignore me for some reason. He had been in hospital for some time, and while he was away I put a get well soon card in his pigeon hole at school. (Seems like a nice thing to do right?).

However, now he is back he doesn't talk to me, and he's started blanking me. I mean come on what could I have done???, (it seems pretty immature for a teacher to be doing). He is a maths teacher at our school and I need his consent to let me drop further maths (as we are receiving minimal tuition, due to him being off work). I have talked to senior staff, and they tell me that it is my problem and they are refusing to get involved with anything personal between myself and my tutor.

What should I do??

Any Ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Doing the card is a boundary you really shouldnt cross - he probably feels worse (unless you were like really friendly before)

ReputationRep:
    yeah crossing boundaries a bit. not sure if i misunderstood, but if you mean you went to senior staff about him ignoring you, then that's a bit far. he's your teacher, come on.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that other people also gave him cards... but what should I do about it??

ReputationRep:
    Write a note explaining the situation, that you are sorry if sending the card caused any offense etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebs101)
    yeah crossing boundaries a bit. not sure if i misunderstood, but if you mean you went to senior staff about him ignoring you, then that's a bit far. he's your teacher, come on.
    I went to senior staff because he is practically forcing me to stay on this subject that I do not want to continue, and he wont even talk to me about it, and let me emphasise. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL. He should have said something.

He may be my teacher but I try to drop the subject... he ignores me... I stop going to his lessons (Further Maths), and he reports me... How do I win that battle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clair1987)
    Write a note explaining the situation, that you are sorry if sending the card caused any offense etc.
    I could try that... Thanks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What's all this "crossing boundaries" rubbish? The teacher is a professional, the student is not. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clair1987)
    (Original post by Paske)
    I could try that... Thanks.
    I wouldn't do that personally because if he is ignoring you because he feels like the student/teacher boundary has been crossed, sending him more personal mail may only make the situation worse.

I'd talk to you parents/friends/a member of teaching staff who you trust and tell them you only meant to support him with the card. If I'm honest, I doubt it's that that is causing him to act differently. Could you not ask him directly?

ReputationRep:
    dont write him a letter ffs - that will just weird him out

Maybe he doesnt want to get into those kind of discussions with a student

just keep iton topic and face to face if possible

ReputationRep:
    What did you write in this card?

At my school it was perfectly fine to give cards to teachers, I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he/she fancies you?...sorry that's the only logical explanation I could think of because sending a get well soon card is NOT crossing boundaries especially if a load of other pupils did the same thing. Are you one of the intelligent students in his/her class? It may be the case that he/she needs to keep the clever students in his/her class to make himself/herself look good when it comes to results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    I'd talk to you parents/friends/a member of teaching staff who you trust and tell them you only meant to support him with the card. If I'm honest, I doubt it's that that is causing him to act differently. Could you not ask him directly?
    Actually thinking about it writing a note would make it worse. The thing is, as the original post said... I talked to a senior member of staff (A teacher I really do trust, and he just said that he didn't want to get involved.) - I will try talking to another member of staff... but I really want things to be back to normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paske)
    I went to senior staff because he is practically forcing me to stay on this subject that I do not want to continue, and he wont even talk to me about it, and let me emphasise. HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL. He should have said something.

He may be my teacher but I try to drop the subject... he ignores me... I stop going to his lessons (Further Maths), and he reports me... How do I win that battle?

ohh i see, sorry i thought you meant you went to the seniors telling them he was ignoring you. He can't be worried too much about teacher/pupil boundaries if he's forcing you to stay on with further maths then?? Dunno what to suggest really, maybe just ask him straight out. Say you only meant well by the card, and you don't understand why he's started ignoring you and is so stubborn about you dropping his subject. Be confrontational. He's acting badly about it, i'd confront him privately if i were you. Be assertive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paske)
    Actually thinking about it writing a note would make it worse. The thing is, as the original post said... I talked to a senior member of staff (A teacher I really do trust, and he just said that he didn't want to get involved.) - I will try talking to another member of staff... but I really want things to be back to normal.
    The role of a senior member of staff is surely to overlook the running of the school and ensure all teachers and pupils are working effectively?

I fail to see how this "senior" member of staff can merely refuse to get involved. It is his/her duty to help and if he/she feels unable or uncomfortable, he/she needs to refer the case to someone who can deal with it. I can't imagine a teacher at my old school simply refusing to help me or anyone else...

Tell your parents/guardians if you really aren't being listened to! They can act on your behalf and contact the school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sylarfangirl)
    What did you write in this card?

At my school it was perfectly fine to give cards to teachers, I don't get it.
    It was a blank card so I wrote:

"Hey Sir,

I hope everything is OK,
    Get well soon,

Paul"

Nothing I would regard as innapropriate. In my previous school, it was also fine to get teachers cards, I just don't understand his problem, and why he wont talk to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebs101)
    Be confrontational. He's acting badly about it, i'd confront him privately if i were you. Be assertive.
    It isn't really wise to be "confrontational" with this situation. The OP needs to keep a clear head and not get into any trouble so if the situation is bought to the attention of superior staff, the teacher can't accuse him of being aggressive/confrontational.

Assertive, yes, not confrontational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    Maybe he fancies you?...sorry that's the only logical explanation I could think of because sending a get well soon card is NOT crossing boundaries especially if a load of other pupils did the same thing. Are you one of the intelligent students in his class? It may be the case that he needs to keep the clever students in his class to make himself look good when it comes to results day.
    All of us are really at the same level, so yeah, he may not want me to leave, but he might want to look good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    It isn't really wise to be "confrontational" with this situation. The OP needs to keep a clear head and not get into any trouble so if the situation is bought to the attention of superior staff, the teacher can't accuse him of being aggressive/confrontational.

Assertive, yes, not confrontational.
    no i don't mean confrontational in the context of being aggressive, but assertive and be straight out with what she's thinking. what i meant was she's kind of tip-toeing around it at the moment and being pensive about what to do which is fine, and now to face the situation head on verbally with her tutor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That is odd. It would have been crossing boundaries had you written 'love' or 'xxx' in the card. The only logical explanation is that the teacher thinks you wrote something which you in fact didn't (or another student wrote them a card and signed your name) or the teacher fancies you and is avoiding you so as to not cause a scene. :eek:

Seriously, though, go talk to your Head of Sixth Form. It's his problem. He has to get over it. If what you've said is all you've done, then you're not in the wrong, and he can't force you to stay on the course, even if you're the only student doing well.

If the Head of 6th doesn't take you seriously, then go to the Head and say you'll be forced to approach the school governors or local council in regard to the matter. That'll get things sorted out quickly.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.