Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am goin 2 be a first year student at UWE.

i was thinking where would be the best place to stay for my first year at UWE???

ReputationRep:
    student village on frenchey

ReputationRep:
    (Bumped as this took a while to approve)

ReputationRep:
    Im also a first year and conused about this as well, surely the benefits of living in the city outweigh those o living in frenchay IE. Jobs and Nightlife? Is the commute from the city to frenchay that much of a killer?

Or are nights easily organised by students at the SU? The music scene is one of the big factors for me apart from my course, and I don't want to miss out on the various Clubs, and DJing opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be a first year at uwe as well.. and I also am a bit meh about where the best place to stay is going to be! will keep an eye on this topic!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty dead certain i'll be staying in the centre now.. I weighed up the pros and cons of centre vs campus and centre came out on top.

ReputationRep:
    i've been to frenchay (at the campus) and its really nice. the commute to the city os only 20 minutes on the UWE bus that runs untill 3 AM. plus you get a free gym membership at the frenchay campus and only 5 minute commute to the lecture halls and Student union. but the draw of the city is enduring

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through my first year and have hated living in student accommodation. The rent is ridiculous and even worse in the student village for what you get. I would advice anybody not to go into student accommodation if they actually want a clean flat and to actually sleep without being woken up by drunk idiots every night. Frenchay is really far out of the city centre and the buses are terrible. If you do go into student accommodation then live in the centre, taxis are not cheap when your coming back to frenchay after a night out.
    If your a rich kid, a rugby type or a *****y girl who wears ugg boots and three inches of make-up and do lots of coke then the student village is probably the best choice for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazz91)
    I'm halfway through my first year and have hated living in student accommodation. The rent is ridiculous and even worse in the student village for what you get. I would advice anybody not to go into student accommodation if they actually want a clean flat and to actually sleep without being woken up by drunk idiots every night. Frenchay is really far out of the city centre and the buses are terrible. If you do go into student accommodation then live in the centre, taxis are not cheap when your coming back to frenchay after a night out.
    If your a rich kid, a rugby type or a *****y girl who wears ugg boots and three inches of make-up and do lots of coke then the student village is probably the best choice for you
    You sound like you've had some bad experiences! :woo: But it's good to hear someone suggesting the centre over frenchay, just reiterates my decision.

ReputationRep:
    Im still at a loss o what to choose, I hate early mornings

Where do I ind the online accomodation application, mine hasn't been delivered!

ReputationRep:
    when do you start applying for accommodation?? if startin UWE in sep 2010.

is it done online?

ReputationRep:
    If you've firmed UWE you should recieve a email from them around april-may lettign you know you can now apply for accomodation and such, at least that's what they told me in a email.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year and I promise you living in the city is 10 times better than on campus! Especially if you do a course with not many contact hours such as History or Criminology.
    Being in the city you can go out any night of the week and not have to pay for taxis, you can go out at short notice and do it as many times as you like and every day to somewhere different. Not only this but it means you can risk trying something knew and if it sucks not risk losing much (in terms of time or taxi money).
    Also much closer to shops, train station and everything else you need.

If you live in the centre you WILL have a better social life, you WILL probably end up going to much more interesting places and you WILL meet much more interesting people (aka, not just students). This applies especially to anyone interesting in the music scene.
    Those staying on campus end up being extremely cut off from the city. I origionally thought I'd feel cut off from the uni, but you don't at all as you still go in there for lectures many days a week. But those on campus sometimes hardly go into Bristol at all during the week.

Any questions please email me as I hardly ever come on here unless I get an email

ReputationRep:
    havent got a clue where to stay either, like dan well into my music scene wanna take full advantage of bristols dubstep techno electro n dnb nights, dont wanna be stuck on campus going to cheesy SU nights and rarely visiting the city, but also dont wanna be missing bare lectures having to travel to frenchay everyday !!

ReputationRep:
    i wanna be in the city centre but its not near to where my course is based so iam screwed basically lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazz91)

Haha. This was what I discovered last year. Can't move for Jack Wills and general **** heads. So much happier in town and spent more time in town nearing the end of my year where everyones justs that much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcollo)
    i wanna be in the city centre but its not near to where my course is based so iam screwed basically lol
    No matter what campus you're on there's buses there

ReputationRep:
    I really want to stay in the city center as i am like 2 years older than most of the other first year. Is the travel between St Matthias and City center impossible? the st matt area looks cosy, but is it too quiet and small? I want to be near the shops and have a social life. The student village is too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonny17)
    I really want to stay in the city center as i am like 2 years older than most of the other first year. Is the travel between St Matthias and City center impossible? the st matt area looks cosy, but is it too quiet and small? I want to be near the shops and have a social life. The student village is too expensive.
    yeah im the same been thinking about the accomadation and want to be somewhere with a good music scene and with people who are up for going into the centre...i was going to go for st matts halls but now im not to sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partygirl87)
    yeah im the same been thinking about the accomadation and want to be somewhere with a good music scene and with people who are up for going into the centre...i was going to go for st matts halls but now im not to sure!
    Im pretty sure I dont want to go for st matts, it's easier to get there during the day for lectures than it is to get to the city center from st matts for clubbing let alone going back. And i've read some rumours that st matthias was closing down by this summer? I dont know how accurate the rumours are, though. But ulink is included in the rent so might aswell live in the city center.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.