The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford whilst studying a DIFFERENT subject, at another UK uni?

Hello all; I read on the University of Cambridge website that this is possible if you are applying for a different subject, however, is it the same for Oxford?

I have been pushed into applying, this year, for a subject I have little interest in, and am not allowed to take a gap year. This leaves me with one choice, applying to Oxford whilst studying at another university. Can I do this? :shy2:
I'm not certain, but I can't see why not. Your present university probably won't thank you though. Also, I'm not sure how the Student Finance Company would define "first undergraduate degree" if you get into Oxford and want another loan, perhaps they could argue that it's in fact your second undergraduate degree, such that you'd be ineligible for a loan. Still, these are just ideas. Sorry I can't be more use.
Reply 2
Simplest answer is to email the undergraduate admissions office for a definitive answer.
Reply 3
wjcsibelius
I'm not certain, but I can't see why not. Your present university probably won't thank you though. Also, I'm not sure how the Student Finance Company would define "first undergraduate degree" if you get into Oxford and want another loan, perhaps they could argue that it's in fact your second undergraduate degree, such that you'd be ineligible for a loan. Still, these are just ideas. Sorry I can't be more use.

Don't confuse me even more! :p: But thanks anyway :smile:

tony_ron
Simplest answer is to email the undergraduate admissions office for a definitive answer.

I emailed them last week, still no reply :frown:
Reply 4
wjcsibelius

It's not a second undergraduate degree unless you've actually received a qualification for the first one, though, otherwise no-one would ever be able to afford to change subjects after a year. If she does one year at another university and then goes to Oxford for a three-year course, she should be OK. If it's a four-year course, though, it may be tricky to get a loan for the final year, because I don't think you're normally eligible for more than four years' worth of funding.
Reply 5
radmuffin
I emailed them last week, still no reply :frown:

Who / what address did you email? :confused:

Edit: I could be more helpful and actually answer your question:

You can apply while you're studying at another university; Oxford doesn't have a policy against it like Cambridge does (even for applying for the same subject). Be prepared to justify why you're doing it, though, at some stage of the process like in your interview, should you get that far.

And yes, you would have to check with your regional authority the amount of funding entitlement you have remaining.
Reply 6
Hello! I think I know you! :p:

hobnob
If she does one year at another university and then goes to Oxford for a three-year course, she should be OK.

I don't know why you're assuming it's a she, if it's the person I think it is, then they're a he...
Reply 7
pf1
Who / what address did you email? :confused:

Edit: I could be more helpful and actually answer your question:

You can apply while you're studying at another university; Oxford doesn't have a policy against it like Cambridge does (even for applying for the same subject). Be prepared to justify why you're doing it, though, at some stage of the process like in your interview, should you get that far.

And yes, you would have to check with your regional authority the amount of funding entitlement you have remaining.

Thank God, that's good =D Thanks for the help! Mods, please close this thread :smile:

Bezzler

:unsure: ...
Guten Abend
... :rant:
Reply 8
Bezzler
I don't know why you're assuming it's a she, if it's the person I think it is, then they're a he...

Cutesy avatar, uses smileys and apparently wants to do languages (which is a female-dominated subject overall, as far as I know) - in my book that adds up to 'more likely to be female'.:p:
Sorry if I got it wrong, though.
Reply 9
hobnob
Cutesy avatar, uses smileys and apparently wants to do languages (which is a female-dominated subject overall, as far as I know) - in my book that adds up to 'more likely to be female'.:p:
Sorry if I got it wrong, though.

*Ahem* I'm a language student and use smileys, though I can't be bothered with an avatar :rolleyes:

But yes, they are male. :p:
Reply 10
Bezzler
*Ahem* I'm a language student and use smileys, though I can't be bothered with an avatar :rolleyes:

But yes, they are male. :p:

'They'? Surely the whole point is that you know for a fact that he's a he?:p:
Reply 11
hobnob
'They'? Surely the whole point is that you know for a fact that he's a he?:p:

"He is male" is a tautology, and thus doesn't tell you anything new about the situation. I was trying to provide a non a priori statement about the OP.
Reply 12
Bezzler
"He is male" is a tautology, and thus doesn't tell you anything new about the situation. I was trying to provide a non a priori statement about the OP.

Yes, but your reason for making that statement in the first place is that you do in fact have a priori knowledge, no?:confused:
Reply 13
hobnob
Yes, but your reason for making that statement in the first place is that you do in fact have a priori knowledge, no?:confused:

It's not a priori that the OP is male. That the OP is male is not an essential property of the OP; it is logically possible that the OP could be female, therefore it is a synthetic statement to say that the OP is male.
Reply 14
Bezzler
It's not a priori that the OP is male. That the OP is male is not an essential property of the OP; it is logically possible that the OP could be female, therefore it is a synthetic statement to say that the OP is male.

Erm, fine, whatever.:erm:
Reply 15
Is the OP pre-op or post-op?
Reply 16
pf1
Is the OP pre-op or post-op?

What's a goy?

A girl if first met before 2020, a boy if met afterwards :biggrin:

Sorry, really bad philosophy joke :p:
Reply 17
Why are you not allowed to take a gap year, radmuffin?

Bezzler
What's a goy?

A girl if first met before 2020, a boy if met afterwards :biggrin:

Sorry, really bad philosophy joke :p:

:eyebrow:

I highlighted the important part.
Reply 18
BJack
:eyebrow:

I highlighted the important part.

Gotta love Nelson Goodman :biggrin:

Latest