Turn on thread page Beta

Need help finding a weekend job watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im at doing a full time course at kingston college and i need help finding a part time/weekend job. Im looking for a job so i can earn a bit of money. Iv handed out my CV to a few retail shops but i havnt had any success.

I would like a job that in a retail shop that involves computers or technology (e.g pc world or currys) but anywhere would be fine.

Id prefer to work afternoons till nights but i dnt mind mornins.

Any help would be highly appreciated !:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any contacts, like people you know who already work at places or even own/manage them? STarting by using contacts is a good starting point I found, it's how I got my job and how 75% of the people at my work got them :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Iv tried with a few of my frens but i get parred off.
    Only a few of my frens actually work.
    Iv tried most of the shops in croydons shopping centers.
    Main excuse is "we're not looking for any more staff at the moment. Please try another 1 of our branches.

ReputationRep:
    1. Make sure your CV looks presentable. My friend was in the same situation as you, looking for months with no luck so I just suggested she had a look at it. She changed it around etc and got a Christmas job in Knightsbridge.

2. Make sure you look good. No one (sensible) in retail will employ you if you don't look presentable and smart. Make sure you dress sensibly when giving out the CVs too.

3. Act mature. Many people are scared to hire people, who are 16-17 because they think they will have to parent them and will come to work hangover every weekend or just be constantly late and completely unreliable.

4. Be flexible. Narrowing your such to just PC shops really limits your chances. Be open to new experiences (at the end of the day you need the money, right?)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a job as well. I'm having NO luck at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Iv been looking for one for ages!...i think its my age!....
    If you are under 16 I'd aim for smaller places, again refering to where I work they employ under 16s, because it's a smaller place and needs staff who can work more over holidays, which under 16s can do.

With the getting drunk thing, if you do get a job, don't write negative comments about your boss or how you are going to get drunk the night before a shift.. employers are known for facebook snooping :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    its not complicated at all. all you need to do is sort out a basic CV, (lots of help for this on the web) which is pretty much a list of your qualification so far etc, then print off a few and ask at the customer services or tills of high street shops to have your CV considered for a sales assistant, and they'll do the rest, that or go on google maps, google your home town and restaurants then email all of the results your CV and an email saying that you would like a job and when your available, get it done soon, the longer you leave it is lost potential earnings.

the lad above made a bit too much of a deal about looking presentable, when i had an interview to work at Primark i wore a suit but only because it was my sixth form uiform, i would advise a shirt, but the point about dressing smartly when handing out CVs is completely bogus, since ive been a sales assistant loads of people have handed in CVs, i havnt just thrown them away because they were wearing a t-shirt, if all you want is a weekend job, unless its somewhere prestigious (e.g. a jewlery shop) they are essentially looking for someone with BASIC arithmetic skills and enough control over their body and muscles to be able to fold for several hours in a row. that and not steal out of the tills, that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    kk

ReputationRep:
    Thanks il keep that in mind.

I handed my cv to random shops like mothercare toys r us and places like that. I tried clothing and trainer shops.

Anywhere will do me as long as it pays.

I think my appearance is wats lettin me dwn. People say i look quiet intimidating XD
    I need to fix up

Thanks btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    Well im muslim so the drink issue wont be a problem and im 16!...iv been looking at boots KFC...LOL...etc
    I was speaking generally about the drinking thing, not specifically aimed at you :p:

ReputationRep:
    for under 16's i advise a paperound, it is pretty difficult to find any other job at that age as child labour laws make it pretty difficult to make a profit out of you, and it would make you look at a shop a little strangely if its manned by 12 year old children or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I would do a paper round but da streetz are gritty and very nice in the mornings.
    Plus my bike is broken lol

ReputationRep:
    Supermarkets are always a good place to try, mainly because of the size and how many different departments they have. Also, supermarkets to tend to hire a lot of students, so the staff are always coming and going which means they're generally always looking for people.

I started at Sainsbury's in the bakery department, 3 and a half years ago now. Since supermarkets are usually national, the good thing is that if you move (for example, come to uni or go home from uni), you can transfer. And even where this isn't possible (as was the case with me when I came to uni), they tend to keep you on the books if you want work when you come home again (if there are hours of course).

The other good thing is, supermarkets are almost always looking for overtime, so there's always hours to be had. If you think, Christmas and Easter are the busiest times of the year for supermarkets so they'll always need staff then. But also, lots of staff have holidays over summer, so hours also need covering then. And of course, when the weather is nice, everyone comes in for barbeque stuff.

So yeah, try any of your local supermarkets. I'd say they offer the best chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dotzy)
    Iv tried with a few of my frens but i get parred off.
    Only a few of my frens actually work.
    Iv tried most of the shops in croydons shopping centers.
    Main excuse is "we're not looking for any more staff at the moment. Please try another 1 of our branches.
    Please don't

ReputationRep:
    You should try places like supermarkets, fast food places, clothes shops i cant even find a job yet and iam 18 years of age !!!!! and most of my m8s have one
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dotzy)
    Im at doing a full time course at kingston college and i need help finding a part time/weekend job. Im looking for a job so i can earn a bit of money. Iv handed out my CV to a few retail shops but i havnt had any success.

I would like a job that in a retail shop that involves computers or technology (e.g pc world or currys) but anywhere would be fine.

Id prefer to work afternoons till nights but i dnt mind mornins.

Any help would be highly appreciated !:yep:
    Try PRIMARK. I got a job there and I didn't even have any experience to get a job there.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.