Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AliciaJ703)
    Buy a JR East pass/Suica pass would be perfect and an iphone would be good along with a phrase book and dictionary. Your itinerary is fine and a volunteer guide would be ideal though I don't think you really need it in Tokyo. If you visit Nikko, you can take the Tohoku Main Line -Tokyo Station (eki means station in Japanese) to Utsunomiya Station(take JR Nikko Line) to JR Nikko Station OR Tobu Railways - Asakusa Station (Spacia) to Tobu Nikko Station (101 minutes). The Shrines and temples in the Nikko district are registered as part of the "World Cultural Heritage" http://www.nikko-jp.org. In Hiroshima, I recommend eating a okonomi yaki. In Tokyo, if you have the time, visit Kagurazaka and do a walking tour of Tokyo's former Geisha District - it's not too far from where I stayed when I studied abroad in Japan, Roppongi Hills Observation Deck (you see the entire city of Tokyo and even Mt. Fuji on a clear day, Meiji Shrine, Imperial Palace East Gardens.
    You meant the JR West pass right? I'm a bit confused by it, because it seems that under the west pass, there's 2 other passes - sanyo and kansai or is it just the one pass? also can you use the pass in the actual cities? Like if I'm travelling all around Osaka on the JR, I could just whip out the west pass or would I need to get the local Osaka pass? I forgot about a phrasebook, so thanks for that.

I know about the World Heritage Sites but I'm wondering if there's anything else to see or do there? I think that by the end of the trip I'll be fed up of seeing shrines/temples lol Although if there's a really really good traditional onsen/ryokan then I might be convinced.

Sorry too many questions from my obsessive mind :o::o: Thanks a lot for replying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    You meant the JR West pass right? I'm a bit confused by it, because it seems that under the west pass, there's 2 other passes - sanyo and kansai or is it just the one pass? also can you use the pass in the actual cities? Like if I'm travelling all around Osaka on the JR, I could just whip out the west pass or would I need to get the local Osaka pass? I forgot about a phrasebook, so thanks for that.

I know about the World Heritage Sites but I'm wondering if there's anything else to see or do there? I think that by the end of the trip I'll be fed up of seeing shrines/temples lol Although if there's a really really good traditional onsen/ryokan then I might be convinced.

Sorry too many questions from my obsessive mind :o::o: Thanks a lot for replying
    Yes, JR West Pass - Kansai Area Pass. In Hiroshima, there isn't a rail system but trolleys and of course you walk elsewhere. Yes, in Nikko you can visit Lake Chuzenji, Urami Falls, and there are nature tours provided. In Nikko, I stayed at Hotel - Seikoen - http://www.hotel - seikoen.com which has a hot spring.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes, JR West Pass - Kansai Area Pass. In Hiroshima, there isn't a rail system but trolleys and of course you walk elsewhere. Yes, in Nikko you can visit Lake Chuzenji, Urami Falls, and there are nature tours provided. In Nikko, I stayed at Hotel - Seikoen - http://www.hotel - seikoen.com which has a hot spring.
    Thought so. This is what I'm thinking, I'd get the 8 day Sanyo pass which would cover pretty much up to Miyajima/Hiroshima and back to Osaka where I'd just pay 540yen to Kyoto. I could get a Kansai thru 3 day pass for kyoto when I'm exploring (explore further away bits first and stick to places close to hostel for the last 2 days). For inside Tokyo I was going to get a Suica card.

Actually I've just worked out that it'd be more convenient, only by £10, to get the 14day JR pass + Hakone free pass + 2 day Kansai Thru Pass for Osaka. So I think I'm just going with that. Getting the Sanyo pass then additional tickets although it works out slightly cheaper, it'd probably be more complicated.

ReputationRep:
    Thought so. This is what I'm thinking, I'd get the 8 day Sanyo pass which would cover pretty much up to Miyajima/Hiroshima and back to Osaka where I'd just pay 540yen to Kyoto. I could get a Kansai thru 3 day pass for kyoto when I'm exploring (explore further away bits first and stick to places close to hostel for the last 2 days). For inside Tokyo I was going to get a Suica card.

Actually I've just worked out that it'd be more convenient, only by £10, to get the 14day JR pass + Hakone free pass + 2 day Kansai Thru Pass for Osaka. So I think I'm just going with that. Getting the Sanyo pass then additional tickets although it works out slightly cheaper, it'd probably be more complicated.
    I believe you have everything covered so now just relax and start packing. If you have additional questions about Hiroshima, Miyajima, or Tokyo just quote or PM me. Have a wonderful time in Japan but if your experience was like mine, it will not be your last trip.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I believe you have everything covered so now just relax and start packing. If you have additional questions about Hiroshima, Miyajima, or Tokyo just quote or PM me. Have a wonderful time in Japan but if your experience was like mine, it will not be your last trip.
    Thanks! I'm so excited it's stupid, but nervous as well actually hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm so excited it's stupid, but nervous as well actually hehe.
    You're welcome, I felt the same way when I was preparing to fly to Japan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.