Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Compared with sciences and maths?
    How many hours a week should you be spending on German etc

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can really compare it to other subjects like that, nor give an exact number of hours cos it depends on how quickly you learn things and how much time you're prepared to spend. You do need to spend a fair amount of time though as it's important to learn a lot of vocab and learn the grammar. I got an A but with a lot of hard work.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how good you are at German really..e.g. someone naturally talented at maths could spend 1 hour a week on maths hw but struggle and spend a few hours on German.
    Once you completely understand the grammar that you'll need for the exam then you can never learn enough vocab so there's always that to keep you busy.

ReputationRep:
    If you actually enjoy the language then it's perfectly achievable. You'll need to put a few hours in a week to learn the vocab and do extra reading and speaking practice. Further to that a good grasp of grammar in general will help you make sense of the language, rather than just learning set phrases by rote. But if you're willing to put the time in for both of those, then the A is well in reach.

Word of warning though - if you dislike the language, or are just considering it because it looks good or whatever, you'll likely not do too well at all. The thing about A-level languages that make them different from a lot of the others subjects is that they are about developing a skill over a long period of time; you can't simply cram for them before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    You've not said anything about the syllabus... surely it makes a huge difference whether or not you have 3 books to read and analyse in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying one book and a German city, but the A2 has NO listening or reading :O

ReputationRep:
    That's weird Surely they're core skills?

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel should be a doddle if you know the book inside out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's the new syllabus and the A2 paper has one translation and 2 essays. Really strange that there's no reading and listening, but I think that makes the exam harder because there's only writing, hence my grammar and vocabulary will have to be very good :/
    pie_monster have you done/are you doing edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    yes though years ago, I did the french edexcel with one book, aural test, oral test and comprehension. I did cambridge german which had 3 books, oral and comprehension, so consequently for me a lot harder. Ironically I did better in the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Is that seriously true? Will your school still be giving you speaking and listening classes? Because surely without them you'd be extremely poorly prepared for university (post-A Level) languages.

ReputationRep:
    I only study German once a week at an adult education centre but we do some speaking and listening. I do have a speaking exam for both as and a2 though

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.