Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But let’s look at Emma Watson for a moment. Is it a coincidence that she is the highest-paid actress in the world – and also incredibly young, known only for her portrayal of a virginal schoolgirl?
    No - she's famous for being a witch, and Harry Potters friend, which we all know is a child's cult phenomenon. The woman who wrote this article is silly.

ReputationRep:
    She's just vile.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just Wow, :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    What a fan dan.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple Liz.
    Emma Watson made an awful lot of money last year because she shot two huge budget films and has residuals and rights coming in from five previous incredibly successful films (and, I suspect, a good manager).

Medine Memi was the victim of a brutal murder.

What is the comparison?

The real question ism what is the point of Liz Jones?
    Sums it all up really.

ReputationRep:
    Possibility 1:

Hollywood is an oppressive, medieval, patriarchal society and Emma Watson is the top earning female in Hollywood because we celebrate purity and she is famous for playing a virginal schoolgirl.

Possibility 2:

Emma Watson is the top earning female in Hollywood because she starred in 6 movies based on one of the most successful series of books in history, which were all massive at the box office, and would have been no matter who was cast in any of the roles.

I think the fact that her 2 costars were also in the top 20 earners might suggest that is is more to do with her happening to be in the ******* biggest movie franchise of all time. i.e. possibility 2.

Just a thought. Perhaps Liz should get a bigger sample size than 1. Her job must seriously be the easiest in the world if all she has to do is come up with some whacky and controversial theory based on a one point trend, with zero research other than BBC News telling her that Emma Watson is the top earning actress.

Is it a coincidence that James Cameron is the highest paid man in Hollywood - and also has never cast a black person in a starring role in one of his movies? Or is the world actually massively racist?

But no, the worst article was that one about Stephen Gately. That was retarded and offensive.

Also: LOL that 19 is apparently EXTREME youth.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only reason they incorporated Emma Watson was to attract more readers.

In reality, the two topics have absolutely noting in common.

I also found a funny quote from the 'Emo' article: "You can wear any colour as long as it's black." Does that make any sense at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Which points do you take issue with and why? Ignoring the trademark Daily Mail hyperbole the 'emo' article holds some truth in my experience.
    The artile holds no truth
    Instant emo kit?
    Emo conversation?
    ''you need corsets, capes, Celtic crosses, an unseeing stare and a prop such as a slightly mutilated china doll dragged along in one hand.''
    ''Russell Brand who is about 90% goth''

It's just a very poorly researched article.
    Yes some emo's do self harm but it's not just exclusive to them.
    & To call it a cult is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    :wtf: what the hell is wrong with this woman

ReputationRep:
    :grumble:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Vampyrcorn)
    From the article:

Can someone tell me if this is true?
    I don't actually think honour killings are legal anywhere in the Islamic world, it's just that some countries, namely Saudi Arabia, don't punish the perpetrators as much as more civilised people would hope.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say Iam a fan of Liz jones ,in fact I posted a very critical comment about one of her other articles which came to some idiotic conclusions about the reason for Britains obesity epidemic that wasn't even published.

However I believe the online reporting coming from the so called unbiased BBC is completely disgusting and offensive

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8474611.stm

This is much worse as people can choose to buy the Daily Mail and read the drivvel that is written by Liz Jones but we pay for the BBC to basically insult those who do not agree with President Obamas health care plan. Of course those who cannot see anything wrong with such a report no doubt would fit right in with the marxists, homosexuals , and insane left wing thinking that has sadly infested the BBC. Hopefully a future government will finally get rid of the running sore which is the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    How can she even compare the two like that?!? :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Melancholic and moody teenagers exist to be patronised. There's nothing more dull and intolerable than the self-styled outsider relishing their own pity.

The song is not made out to be dangerous; it's the more morbid emo trends highlighted in the song that the journalist finds alarming, and frankly, they are.

It's more a case of emos self-harming en masse. Are you saying there is no relation between the emo sub-culture and self-harm?
    Self harmers might become emos, I don't think the emo culture pushes people to self harm. It doesn't create any problems, it just acts to allow people to express feelings of misery and depression that all teenagers have feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrix15)
    Isn't the point of the article that all over the world there is a huge over emphasis on young girls that are considered 'pure' and that women are unfairly expected to behave in a certain way? I think Emma Watson was a bad illustration of her point but I agree that there are some ridiculous ideas about how women are expected to behave.
    Yes I agree with this and I see the point that they were trying to make with that article, however weakly supported.

I like Emma Watson, she's a strong and influential young lady, much better than the other teenage idols like Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga etc.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.