Should I choose GCSE History? watch

• View Poll Results: Should I take History
    Yes
    94.23%
    No
    5.77%

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to go into Law as a uni course, and I am currently choosing my GCSE choices. As far as I know, History is very useful in A-Level for Law, but I am unsure whether I should take it :confused:

I am definitely taking: Maths, English, French, Triple Science (Chem/Bio/Phys), French, RS, IT, Business Studies, Double IT/German (Undecided)
    (Bold shows my choices )

Now, I am considering History, but I have been warned off it by my family. I'm interested in learning History and forming arguments and investigating historical events, but I have told there is a lot of coursework and difficult exams. Now, I don't mind essays, but it might make lots of pressure on me when I have many exams to do.

Should I take history? Anyone with experience of the coursework/exams? Anyone else in the same position?

(Sorry about long post, unavoidable :p:)

ReputationRep:
    it depends what board, but there really isnt that much coursework and the exams are like any other gcse. if you enjoy it then its fine

ReputationRep:
    I found there was little coursework for my gcse. The exams are difficult but that's why it's so respected - plus history can be a very interesting subject so its not that bad revising for it

ReputationRep:
    depends what the history department at your school is like. If you know that the teachers are good, go for it because it's actually pretty interesting. i definitely didn't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)

Now, I am considering History, but I have been warned off it by my family. I'm interested in learning History and forming arguments and investigating historical events, but I have told there is a lot of coursework and difficult exams. Now, I don't mind essays, but it might make lots of pressure on me when I have many exams to do.

Should I take history? Anyone with experience of the coursework/exams? Anyone else in the same position?

Why are your family warning you off history? :eek:

It's a brilliant subject!

Yes, it's extremely useful for Law and if you want to do History A Level it definitely helps to do GCSE first. It just develops skills with sources etc.

How much coursework there is depends on your exam board- we had two essays to do but all the work was done in class so we only had to write up our notes. I think some exam boards have changed it so all the coursework is done in school. The exams are easy- if you've revised and practised the questions.

ReputationRep:
    sorry forgot to make my actual point there!! basically if the teachers are bad it makes it really monotonous and boring, because there is a fair bit to learn, and you have to understand it all

ReputationRep:
    History is great fun, if you enjoyed History in years 7-9 then do it.

ReputationRep:
    History is amazing....

nuff said

ReputationRep:
    Like someone said above, it does depend on the board you take.
    I did AQA and it was alright.
    Pick History!

ReputationRep:
    It is no harder than any other GCSE really, I didn't find it particularly hard or easy. It is very enjoyable and interesting, as well as being useful. Do History! If you want to go into law you might as well get some practice at writing essays and working hard.

ReputationRep:
    History coursework is the easiest coursework you will do ever. I'm not even kidding (got 100% in both, most of my school got an A*!)

Exams, however, cause problems for some. Some people who got A* on the coursework got a B overall, obviously doing really badly in exams. But it's mainly memory at GCSE, not so much technique.

But it's such a good subject, dunno why your family is trying to convince you not to do it!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yep, definitely choose it! The coursework is heavy and there are quite a few essays (depending on the exam board) but the skills you learn are all cross-transferrable and help you with other subjects. I have a cruddy history teacher so I had to do a lot of background research myself. It requires a lot of self-motivation either way, as does any GCSE.
    As long as you practice the basic essay skills, know how to interpret sources and have done your research, exams should be fine too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on my 9th History essay and it's killing me.Not because it's hard-the essays are all pretty easy,there is just a lot of them!
    However, I'd reccomend taking it because it's interesting and would benefit anyone.I've really enjoyed it and am taking it for A-level.

My board is OCR, BTW.

ReputationRep:
    The coursework is medium and the exam is easy, asking as you understand basic history. Revised the night before and got an A, it's more about common sense and the ability to brag.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but if you're going into Law, you've got to be prepared for long essays, hard analytical questions and lots of reading. Lucky for you, this only comes in at A-Level. GCSE History is easy anyway, so yes, I'd advise taking it. Tbh, it's also very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR GCSE History and I loved it. Our course was really good and the coursework really wasn't a lot.
    The essays aren't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    history was my favourite subject at gcse :moon:

*thats a yes*

ReputationRep:
    Well I remember it being quite a lot of content (Nothing compared to A-levels though, just a lot at the time). But easy content which binds together without a lot of effort. I was definetely interested in most of the content about Germany but 1920's America was boring as hell. Found it to be worth while learning and it helped me loads in Economics. Learning about the Great Depression, proportional representation political systems and so many things with application to Economics. But I don't know much about law as a subject. But I can see why it's a plus for law. You'll learn about a lot of policies which influenced nations and constrained them and allowed them to grow, policies which increased social welfare and so on.

Universities might consider you more if you got a GCSE in history because now it's so competitive little things like that make a big difference.

The coursework is easy in my opinion. It doesn't take too much effort. The exam isn't all that tough either. It seems tough when you're learning the content but it's really quite simple when you're sitting in the exam hall. Writing all the essays and advancing your analytical skills is priceless. It's something which GCSE history develops A LOT. It has helped me in my A-level subjects. It's not an easy subject, it's difficult compared to many other GCSE's but it's totally worth doing.

One more thing: I was critisised a lot for choosing GCSE history and people were consistently telling me how hard it is and how it's going to be impossible to get good grades. Today I totally, totally realised how much of a good decision I made by not listening to them. I realised it's significance and application straight at the beginning of my A-level courses.

ReputationRep:
    History is one of the most interesting GCSEs I took. My sister was against choosing it but I managed to persudae her and she loves it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would definately take History. The coursework is really not that bad, and the mark schemes for the exams are laughable (for example, you can gain something like 10% of the total mark just by putting a conclusion to the longer answers, even if it has nothing to do with the question)

Also, History is probably the most interesting subject at GCSE, assuming you do Medicine Through Time, which I believe most schools offer.

This is coming from someone who had to take history as a last resort after my original choices couldn't be timetabled, I ended up with an A* and taking it for AS (I got a C at AS, only because I *really* badly messed up one paper)

It's also a perfect subject to take if you want to study law as it requires critial thinking (but is a heck of a lot more respected than Critial Thinking as a subject)

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.