Turn on thread page Beta

Should I choose GCSE History? watch

• View Poll Results: Should I take History
    Yes
    94.23%
    No
    5.77%

ReputationRep:
    I thought bah to history and was kinda smug when virtaully everyone I knew had to learn these summary sheets but then read a bit about the wars and was so interested I ended up self teaching - no its not the easiest subject but its amoing the most respected - go for it

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend history at GCSE
    The analysis and evaluation skills you learn while studying history are some of the most important things you can learn at school. I've found them invaluable in my other subjects. It's one of those subjects that after you've taken it, you find it adapts easily into other things and can even give you a bit of an advantage, with an ability to construct a cohesive argument (you don't get much time in the exams).
    For example, I'm currently in Year 13 and I've found that those who struggle with Psychology (what I take alongside History and English) and Law (what my friend takes), seem to be the ones who can't write essays. Those who've taken history seem to find these subjects easier as it's just the content to learn, rather than the exam skills as well

Also, as other people have said, it depends on the board. I've done Edexcel from GCSE and the coursework was fine We did two pieces on Ireland, and one on a local study of our church (it has evidence of all changes eg: reformation). With support, it can be a doss (my teacher was ace) but even the other class who had a supply teacher that couldn't speak English (o.0) found it relatively easy.

The exams can be either way though. Generally the own knowledge questions are great if you revised (eg: no sources and and just answering a question from memory) but if you suck at English Comprehension (like me ), you'll find the sources questions harder where you have to construct an answer with little to no own knowledge included.

Eg: I found the coursework easy and got an A* in it. I got an A in the own knowledge paper and a D (oops) in the sources paper, and came out with an overall B. However it was that B that got me onto the Psychology course and my Law taking friend, got onto law course with her B in history :P

But, honestly, History changed my school life forever xD I wrote crap essays until taking it at GCSE and now I can get the same mark in one page of writing as someone who writes literally seven pages (happened in my AS History exam) all thanks to the skills it taught me
    I'm now applying to do it at Uni :P
    Do eeeeet :P

btw, essay ^ D:

ReputationRep:
    Choose History!! It was my favourite subject at GCSE :moon:

I found it easy to get an A*, all it takes is a little bit of effort to revise the knowledge and you'll sail through the exam

Also, the skills I've gained from taking it have really helped with all my other subjects too.

ReputationRep:
    You're lucky having the choice, I would have definitely have taken it if i'd had the option. Most of the people who DO take it at my school think its a medium gcse so I'd go for it, specially for something like law

ReputationRep:
    yes, brilliant subject, really interesting. Great for Law, especially if you carry it on til A level. There is allot of coursework, but in my experience not as much as subjects like Geography, and the coursework tends to just be along the lines of a doctored exam paper done at home, so its not too tasking. The exams to be fair are actually pretty easy, its the content thats the hard bit. The exams work in your favour, as you tend to get the marks not so much for what you right, more how you right it. So as long as you master the technique of how the answer the questions you should be fine. Obviously with a subject like history it depends what content you study about how interesting it is, I did Russian revolution etc which i found really good, but some people at other schools did history of medicine which was supposedly a bit boring. Ask what you'll study and see if it interests you. All in all, a great subject.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I hated it. With a passion.

Except for the fact I sat next to the guy I fancied.

Guess it's love it or hate it.

Yes! Especially since you want to go into Law; probably one of the most useful subjects you can take at GCSE/A-level.

Can I just say that you do know that "coursework" is scrapped and replaced by the "controlled assessment"?

This affects every exam board and for most subjects. (Subjects like Art and ICT are not included).

What the controlled assessment means is that instead of doing coursework at home, you would have to do it under timed conditions. :yep:

However, don't let that deteriorate from picking GCSE History.

Depending on what exam board you are on/what you study, it can be pretty interesting, and it will definitely be helpful if you want to go into Law!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the comments - really appreciated

My family advised me against it because they want me to go in to dentistry even though I want to do Law... Anyway, if i take history I still have the right GCSEs for Law and Dentistry so its OK if I change my mind (unlikely).

Anyway, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    looks like im the only one who would say dont do it

ReputationRep:
    i chose history at the end of last year for my options and do not regret it at all, I myself am looking into either going into Jouralism or Photography and so I thought that it would be a great choice and woudl also look good in further education. Yet no one is able to tell you what you should do, there is no point chosing a course that you will not mbe at all interested in then you will not put your all effort into it. :/ i hope that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to go into Law as a uni course, and I am currently choosing my GCSE choices. As far as I know, History is very useful in A-Level for Law, but I am unsure whether I should take it :confused:

I am definitely taking: Maths, English, French, Triple Science (Chem/Bio/Phys), French, RS, IT, Business Studies, Double IT/German (Undecided)
    (Bold shows my choices )

Now, I am considering History, but I have been warned off it by my family. I'm interested in learning History and forming arguments and investigating historical events, but I have told there is a lot of coursework and difficult exams. Now, I don't mind essays, but it might make lots of pressure on me when I have many exams to do.

Should I take history? Anyone with experience of the coursework/exams? Anyone else in the same position?

(Sorry about long post, unavoidable :p:)
    I was making my choices last year, and couldn't decided between history and latin.

Chose History though, and i'm so glad I did. It's my second favourite subject by a long way.

I have an exam this year, and one at the end of year 11. It depends on what exam board you're doing.

This is a yes though, do history!

ReputationRep:
    It's seriously not that hard if you're interested in it.
    Take a look at the syllabus and read a book or two and if you don't find it totally painful I would do it.
    It's not THAT hard, the exam is basically a painting by numbers exercise but you do need to know a fair amount of factual stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should definitely take History. It was pretty awesome when I did it. My exam board was WJEC and there were two coursework pieces. But they were really easy and I got A* on both. The exams are a tiny bit harder but only because of the time restraint and the amount of dates you have to remember. If you do take History I would recommend you start revision early, like atleast a month before your exams. I started revising pretty much a week before my History exams and there were many sleepless nights, but I still ended up getting an A. Though I think if I started earlier I woulda gotten my A*.

Hope this helps (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to go into Law as a uni course, and I am currently choosing my GCSE choices. As far as I know, History is very useful in A-Level for Law, but I am unsure whether I should take it :confused:

I am definitely taking: Maths, English, French, Triple Science (Chem/Bio/Phys), French, RS, IT, Business Studies, Double IT/German (Undecided)
    (Bold shows my choices )

Now, I am considering History, but I have been warned off it by my family. I'm interested in learning History and forming arguments and investigating historical events, but I have told there is a lot of coursework and difficult exams. Now, I don't mind essays, but it might make lots of pressure on me when I have many exams to do.

Should I take history? Anyone with experience of the coursework/exams? Anyone else in the same position?

I did history with OCR in 2008, it was good , the coursework and exams weren't too bad, if you've enjoyed history so far and want to do law then it would be a good idea to take it

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

(Bold shows my choices )

I don't understand why your family would warn you off it?
    History is great! Personally I think it is such an interesting subject and if you want to go onto law then history is is probably a must at a-level and although you can usually take a-level history without doing gcse you would be putting yourself at a huge disadvantadge. In terms of coursework, it varies from board to board as people have said but you're doing business studies? Business studies has LOADS of coursework, quite a few people i know who took business really regretted it due to the amount of work and also it is nowhere near as well respected as history. In terms of the exams, they're a bit harder than r.s exams but nothing unbearable. If you find the topics interesting, then you shouldn't have too much trouble remembering all the facts. It's all a matter fo developing exam technique but that will happen as you progress through the course.

Basically, you should take it, history rocks :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Yes! Especially since you want to go into Law; probably one of the most useful subjects you can take at GCSE/A-level.

Can I just say that you do know that "coursework" is scrapped and replaced by the "controlled assessment"?

This affects every exam board and for most subjects. (Subjects like Art and ICT are not included).

What the controlled assessment means is that instead of doing coursework at home, you would have to do it under timed conditions. :yep:

However, don't let that deteriorate from picking GCSE History.

Depending on what exam board you are on/what you study, it can be pretty interesting, and it will definitely be helpful if you want to go into Law!

deteriorate? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Im doing it now, and theres not as much writing as you think. I would take it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I took it, as it seemed alright in Yr9, but during Yr11 I hated it. Couldn't give a **** about it, and switched off. Anyway, come June I walked into the exam, wrote loads and came out with an A.
    True story.
    Take it, it's better than other subjects, and can be actually quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    history was my favourate subject at gcse -really interesting. the coursework wasn't to hard but you need to put a lot of effort in. easier than a lot of subjects.Do it and you won't regret it:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Take it from me, GCSE's have almost no impact on your future Uni degree, unless you're going for Oxbridge, in which case they tend to only base it on the grades you get.

One of my good friends didn;t even do GCSE history, and he's predicted an A* in A-level History. I think it is just too early to be worrying about things,GCSE just gives you a chance to choose a small number of subjects you might be interested in, you'll have plenty of time to stress about Uni's at the end of GCSE/Start of A-level.

Just as an example, I originally wanted to do an Animation degree at Uni, so I was eager to do Art at GCSE, convincing myself I needed that GCSE for the degree I wanted to do. Of course once I started A-level, I realised how utterly in-effective it was to take it as a GCSE. Besides, I even changed my mind about the type of job/degree.

So my advice is, sure, take it if you want to, but don't feel that it will have a significant impact at all on your degree choice, it is A-levels which are the primary focus for all Uni's(:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.