Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Anyone got the chemistry olympiad soon? I am sitting round one in a couple of days and I am in year 12!!

It's gonna be hard

ReputationRep:
    Guess not XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    I think all A2 Chemists at my school are being made to sit it :sigh: It will just be a waste of my time.
    It looks really hard Is yours on tuesday too?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about asking about doing this, but, as it seems to be mostly for Year 13s and requires A2 knowledge, and I don't really like to flop things, then I didn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting it on Tuesday afternoon
    It's going to be a complete disaster, but ah well, hopefully it should be a reasonably fun sort of disaster

ReputationRep:
    We were told it was online and done over the Summer?

*Confused*

ReputationRep:
    I tried it last year to fill out my timetable a bit...just the pre-round-1 paper thing, though.

I just scraped bronze. :o:
    Then again, mine was the best mark out of all the students who tried it in my year :smug: - only four others, but still. :p:

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I wish i could do it. But my school don't give us the choice and forces us to do either the biology or the chem one(I had to do the bio one, not that I mind as I love the subject, but just wish I could do the chemistry one as well. =/).

Anyways, did you guys enjoy it if you've done it? =]

@Sakildo:
    I think the one you're referring to is the chemsitry challenge one for AS students, it's the one involving multiple choices, isn't it? ^^

ReputationRep:
    i wish there was some syllabus or something!! i've looked at 08 and 09 and they were hard!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    Ahh I wish i could do it. But my school don't give us the choice and forces us to do either the biology or the chem one(I had to do the bio one, not that I mind as I love the subject, but just wish I could do the chemistry one as well. =/).

Anyways, did you guys enjoy it if you've done it? =]

@Sakildo:
    I think the one you're referring to is the chemsitry challenge one for AS students, it's the one involving multiple choices, isn't it? ^^
    I have no idea, =\.

You're probably right though...

ReputationRep:
    Probably fail, but i'd have liked to try this Apparently my school dont offer it though...

ReputationRep:
    I took this today Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NCIShippo)
    I guess isn't a good thing hope it went ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NCIShippo)
    harder than last years I take it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    i wish there was some syllabus or something!! i've looked at 08 and 09 and they were hard!!!
    You get so much time that you can afford to spend ages thinking about how to do each question though. I must say I loved last year's paper with it's single organic question :p: Shame I still managed a 0 on it

ReputationRep:
    I did the Bio olympiad just before so I was knackered that afternoon when I sat it...got a cool 20%. It was really hard, I forgot stuff and there was loads of maths which I couldn't be bothered with. Our Cambridge educated NatSci teacher only got 56% when he sat it with us! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgehunter)
    I did the Bio olympiad just before so I was knackered that afternoon when I sat it...got a cool 20%. It was really hard, I forgot stuff and there was loads of maths which I couldn't be bothered with. Our Cambridge educated NatSci teacher only got 56% when he sat it with us! :rolleyes:

Lots of maths then...sounds fun :woo:

Was the rest hard, i guess spectroscopy and synthesis ones were??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemcat)

Hmm...I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemcat)

Trust me its hard!!

We sat it today, maybe i got a bronze :P

There are questions on many things which are really weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    Trust me its hard!!

We sat it today, maybe i got a bronze :P

There are questions on many things which are really weird

sounds like every olympiad paper then!
    I supose somewhere there must be someone who does well in these things...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.