Turn on thread page Beta

I ended the relationship but now I'm having second doubts. watch

ReputationRep:
    I split up with boyfriend two days ago. We got on really well and I really enjoyed his company. I am in my first year at university, studying a demanding course. He works full time in retail.

We had a few rows, but nothing huge. We split up because (in his own words) I should give him more attention, and he didn't want to come second to my work. I suggested a break after this, because as it was the attention I gave him was causing me to fall behind.

He said that breaks don't work, and so I said we should end it - I'm at university to work, and if I hadn't been here I wouldn't have met him in the first place.

I really miss him - the thought of him being with anyone else makes me physically sick and I do still love him. Even though at the time I was convinced we should break up, and that I must put my degree first, now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

Was I right to prioritise my work?

Yes of course, your work is your life, there will always be other men, always put yourself first before other people, he is wrong to say you aint giving him attention, focus on your studies, you never know the right guy may come along soon, an you will get over him soon anyways

ReputationRep:
    A degree is more important than a boyfriend.

He sounds incredibly selfish. Your education is hugely important! If he doesn't come around eventually and/or understand with then he's probably not worth it anyway. He should want the best for you.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, you shouldn't be asking if what you said was fair, but if what he said was fair. He wants to come before your work and future, would you really be alright with that?

ReputationRep:
    you made the right call, hang in there

ReputationRep:
    Degree is way more important, he should have respected that,
    He didn't & so you ended it,
    Right decision, you will find someone else, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I'm feeling a bit less like a selfish cow now, knowing other people would do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (and I just realised, second thoughts rather than second doubts!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    A degree is more important than a boyfriend.

He sounds incredibly selfish. Your education is hugely important! If he doesn't come around eventually and/or understand with then he's probably not worth it anyway. He should want the best for you.

The video in your sig has just made my day

ReputationRep:
    It was the right thing to do [: My boyfriend is away at uni and although it's hard, I realise that his degree is more important than me seeing him!

I think he's being a bit unfair and selfish for saying that. You shouldn't have to waste your money to get a degree just to throw it away for some guy. I think your better off without him, if he was a good bf he would have stuck by you and helped you get through your course.
    I think he's using that as an excuse so he can find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo)
    I think he's using that as an excuse so he can find someone else.
    Ta for that. :rolleyes:

(Original post by vegastwotimes)
    Ta for that. :rolleyes:
    Sorry if I upset you At least you can find someone better that will encourage you to get a degree.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    your degree is more important as will help you to get a good job with better money espcially if you get better marks so it was a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vegastwotimes)
    I split up with boyfriend two days ago. We got on really well and I really enjoyed his company. I am in my first year at university, studying a demanding course. He works full time in retail.

We had a few rows, but nothing huge. We split up because (in his own words) I should give him more attention, and he didn't want to come second to my work. I suggested a break after this, because as it was the attention I gave him was causing me to fall behind.

He said that breaks don't work, and so I said we should end it - I'm at university to work, and if I hadn't been here I wouldn't have met him in the first place.

I really miss him - the thought of him being with anyone else makes me physically sick and I do still love him. Even though at the time I was convinced we should break up, and that I must put my degree first, now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

Was I right to prioritise my work?

hm everyone is telling you the same thing. BUT, is there no way you can prioritise both? A lot of people at uni go out partying all the time and manage to do their work too. Surely you could spend time with him too? however, is he worth it? because he has to understand in the first place that u need to get on with your studies too.
    i am going to uni in september..and i picked the same uni as where my bf currently is. he didn't understand how important it was for me to go to a really good uni / one of my choice. he said i can get a degree anywhere and the one he's at is decent, and said as long as ive got relevant work experience it shouldn't be too bad in the future for me.
    so i chose him over prestige of a uni. hoping it won't be a mistake..if not i'll just have to make the most out of what i got.
    it's kind of off topic but hope that helps. don't let others encourage you that ending it with him is completely right, because noone understands your feelings for him, and your relationship, more than you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdlands01)
    hm everyone is telling you the same thing. BUT, is there no way you can prioritise both? A lot of people at uni go out partying all the time and manage to do their work too. Surely you could spend time with him too? however, is he worth it? because he has to understand in the first place that u need to get on with your studies too.
    i am going to uni in september..and i picked the same uni as where my bf currently is. he didn't understand how important it was for me to go to a really good uni / one of my choice. he said i can get a degree anywhere and the one he's at is decent, and said as long as ive got relevant work experience it shouldn't be too bad in the future for me.
    so i chose him over prestige of a uni. hoping it won't be a mistake..if not i'll just have to make the most out of what i got.
    it's kind of off topic but hope that helps. don't let others encourage you that ending it with him is completely right, because noone understands your feelings for him, and your relationship, more than you do.
    Well it's been a few months now and I definitely think I made the right decision. I don't want to disillusion you in any way but relationships now very rarely last. Don't pin to much on him, live your own life. At the same time, I hope you have fun together.

ReputationRep:
    This kinda issue isn't going to go away if you get back together, seeing as you're at uni for another 2 years. If you both can't come to a compromise, it won't work. I think you're completely justified in prioritising your degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.