Turn on thread page Beta

Running early in the morning - when to eat breakfast? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm a total beginner but I wanna start the ''couch to 5k'' running program but i wanna do it early in the morning, say at like 8 am. I usually get up at 7 but I dont know whether I should eat breakfast before I go or after? Also what sorta thing should I eat?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Bumped as this took a while to approve)

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd eat after. You'll be more hungry after. And eat something that'll keep you going for a while - porridge, a bowl of cerial or toast and a piece of fruit.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe have something really light between 7.15 and 7.30 just to keep your energy levels up - a slice of toast or a cereal bar. Then have your main breakfast after.
    This is what I usually do, and it hasn't done me any harm :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i only tried running once without a decent meal. perfomance was significantly affected, had to stop with a stitch after half a mile.

i tend to eat 2 or 3 weetabix an hour before i run (i'm a fairly large person however)

ReputationRep:
    don't eat anything before going for a jog/run. after you come back, eat within half an hour and water.

ReputationRep:
    what??!

Of course you should eat something before!! If you dont, then instead of burning fat, your body will burn muscle instead since you havent put any 'fuel' into your body! Eat something about an hour before you go, something light. Have toast/wheetabix/eggs etc do NOT run on an empty stomach in the morning..

ReputationRep:
    Eat something little, but NOT juicy/sloshy before you go - for example, peanut butter toast is what I would go for!
    Then have another little light breakfast when you return, full of protein and salts and vitamins and obviously moisture

The not-sloshy bit is so that you won;t be able to hear it wiggling around in your stomach and the vitamin/water meal after is to replenish what you lose through any sweating you may do.

ReputationRep:
    After!! You'll get stitch if you eat before.

Have a cereal bar before at most, plus some fluid of course.

ReputationRep:
    omg will people stop with the whole 'eat after' stuff! its totally counter productive to eat nothing before a run in the morning!!

(Original post by -MaNi-)
    omg will people stop with the whole 'eat after' stuff! its totally counter productive to eat nothing before a run in the morning!!
    I get a stitch if I eat anything before I run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diomedes)
    I get a stitch if I eat anything before I run.
    Then you either need to warm up or wait bit longer before you run. How big a meal you have and how long you should wait are pretty important. You cant run after just having eaten something, your body needs to process it and do its thing. Min 1 hour wait before you do anything. If you have a big meal, then longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -MaNi-)
    I think there is still a lot of arguing between fitness trainers which is better - a meal before or after a jog, so then it depends on any individual and the goals he/she is about to achieve (and if its not weights workout).

When going for a jog on empty stomach, it's easier for your body to start burning fat as an energy source, so it might work for a short workout. However, on the long run, it can actually cause slower metabolism, because of the loss of muscle tissue.

So, it depends... As for myself, I'm going for about 30-40mins run in the morning, I drink a cup of green tea before, and that's it. It works for me.

ReputationRep:
    have a banana spread on toast - potassium and carbohydrates, excellent combo - about 20 minutes to half an hour before you start your warm up

ReputationRep:
    I'd eat something about half an hour before you run, something light. Cereal bar is a good shout as itll give you some carbs to use as an energy source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusone)
    I'd eat something about half an hour before you run, something light. Cereal bar is a good shout as itll give you some carbs to use as an energy source.
    I agree with this, basically your body needs the carbs as a source of energy, you see runners having bananas before they run, and it's a good source of potassium. With eating, it's always good to have something before you run, but the general rule of thumb is two hours before any workout, as the blood flows to the digestive system to break down food. So perhaps wake up earlier? or eat after you run, but something heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxwell205)
    I agree with this, basically your body needs the carbs as a source of energy, you see runners having bananas before they run, and it's a good source of potassium. With eating, it's always good to have something before you run, but the general rule of thumb is two hours before any workout, as the blood flows to the digestive system to break down food. So perhaps wake up earlier? or eat after you run, but something heavy.
    I'd say an hour for me if im going to do some running/swimming, but if im going to do some heavy weight stuff then 1hr to 1hr and a half. Any more and i feel as if im losing the energy i got, dont know why. I dont feel full/motivated and i think it affects me, prob just a mental thing in my case but yeah. I think 2 hrs is alot imo

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.