Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough, Birmingham, RHUL, SOAS or City? Leaning towards Loughborough as more IB's recruit there than all of the above, apart from maybe City which at ranked something like 25th and 45th, it is quite brilliant for Jobs, especially finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    It's a good course, but less hyper-mathematical than some of the 'top' courses (Warwick, LSE, Cambridge, UCL). As for the ranking, no employer is going to turn an applicant down because the Times says their university has gone from 22 to 27 (or whatever). Really, they won't care. If you're aiming for IB or some ridiculously competitive career in the City, a Birmingham degree probably won't open huge numbers of doors (but Liverpool or QMUL won't either). For the vast, vast, vast majority of other careers, if you get a 2.i, the University won't come into it, and Birmingham will do you fine.

For why yearly fluctuations in league tables should be disregarded as a basis for any kind of useful decision on where to spend three years (since the metrics only need vary very slightly to result in very large mid-table movements), see the guide in GUD.

PS - unistats is the most reliable source out there, since their stats come direct from HEFCE.
    Cheers. thanks for the info. i diddn't know unistats are that reliable, but since they get their numbers from HEFCE, that must be something. Indeed, thank god for all you people on TSR. now i got my confidence back .
    But, just out of curiosity.. if i get a BSc for Bham, i would be able to get a Masters Degree from a better uni for example ? e.g Warwick,UCL ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensation24)

Cheers. thanks for the info. i diddn't know unistats are that reliable, but since they get their numbers from HEFCE, that must be something. Indeed, thank god for all you people on TSR. now i got my confidence back .
    But, just out of curiosity.. if i get a BSc for Bham, i would be able to get a Masters Degree from a better uni for example ? e.g Warwick,UCL ?
    I got my BA from Birmingham and got into Oxford for an MSc (but didn't go) - so yes, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    The world, and the universe, revolves around London so come down here to study if you have any offers :top:
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    It is okay

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it is one of the best universities to go to but it is far from being one of the worst.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for BSc Economics this year. and from my 5 options Birmingham was the best, and i got an conditional offer, and don't get me wrong, i was excited. It's a good university. But now i've seen the new league tables in 2010, and dunno what to think anymore. Bham is ranked on 27.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8726
    i)That table is not new it is old: came out April last year.
    ii)non-Subject specific League Tables are pretty much irrelevant.
    iii)Subject specific League Tables are much more rrelevant. i.e. you will be studying one specific subject not a mix of all subjects.
    iv)Many different assessment methodologies. And you can't expect a table to tell you what to do when going to uni is a personal decision and what is right for one person is not right for another. But as it's TAELT entry shows Birmingham is better estimated as one of the 10-15 best unis for the subject you are studying (rather than 27th):
    14) Birmingham AAB m#a (2009 ABB) 403 24.1K (Times 10th(7th),Independent 14th(12th),Guardian 6th(4th)) 2008 Freshers Thread
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865
    v) Birmingham is getting 'better': e.g. more competitive.
    vi)
    Actually, i love it ! i love the city ( big city ), the uni campus, the uni & everything. From what i've seen/heard .. seems like my kind of university. But i'm worried about my graduate prospects..Don't wanna be another jobless guy with a degree..
    I don't see that happenening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly1991)
    It is okay
    I've had a quick scoop on your profile. You've chose the same course as me :yep: . what unis did you apply to ? any offers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    iii)Subject specific League Tables are much more rrelevant. i.e. you will be studying one specific subject not a mix of all subjects.
    iv)Many different assessment methodologies. And you can't expect a table to tell you what to do when going to uni is a personal decision and what is right for one person is not right for another. But as it's TAELT entry shows Birmingham is better estimated as one of the 10-15 best unis for the subject you are studying (rather than 27th):
    vi)
    Paul, helpful as always . Cheers. ty for visiting my thread. got a lil bit worried about Bham's effectiveness, but it's okay now. yeah, i've checked and re-checked TAELT these past days, and i believe you are right. Bham should be in the top 15 unis for Eco, so..that can't be bad.

ReputationRep:
    vi)
    Paul, helpful as always . Cheers. ty for visiting my thread. got a lil bit worried about Bham's effectiveness, but it's okay now. yeah, i've checked and re-checked TAELT these past days, and i believe you are right. Bham should be in the top 15 unis for Eco, so..that can't be bad.

ReputationRep:
    sry for my double posting. damn internet connection

ReputationRep:
    I've had a quick scoop on your profile. You've chose the same course as me :yep: . what unis did you apply to ? any offers ?

Cambridge, LSE, UCL, SOAS and City.

Got rejected from Cambridge and offer from LSE but there is noooo way I am going to met it.

You?

ReputationRep:

Cambridge, LSE, UCL, SOAS and City.

Got rejected from Cambridge and offer from LSE but there is noooo way I am going to met it.

You?
    Never say never lol, and it's good to see a fellow SOAS and City applicant, aren't too many of those around here! Are you going to the SOAS Applicant open day on the 10th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Never say never lol, and it's good to see a fellow SOAS and City applicant, aren't too many of those around here! Are you going to the SOAS Applicant open day on the 10th?
    Okay, Very unlikely then
    Have applied to similar unis. Nice =)
    I might, I am not sure yet.

You?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Very unlikely then
    Have applied to similar unis. Nice =)
    I might, I am not sure yet.

You?
    Yup, just want to look at the library again, if I could personify it, it would be one sexy library lol! Im actually planning on studying there for my final exam revision, it looks pretty awsome! I sound like such a nerd getting all hungover about a library lol! The other bit is is that I get to miss a whole double period of Stats!

Any news from UCL? And what did you get at AS if you don't
    mind me asking? There's no reason LSE wouldn't give you an offer for Economics if they thought you couldn't meet it!

ReputationRep:
    Yup, just want to look at the library again, if I could personify it, it would be one sexy library lol! Im actually planning on studying there for my final exam revision, it looks pretty awsome! I sound like such a nerd getting all hungover about a library lol! The other bit is is that I get to miss a whole double period of Stats!

Any news from UCL? And what did you get at AS if you don't
    mind me asking? There's no reason LSE wouldn't give you an offer for Economics if they thought you couldn't meet it!
    I have been to SOAS before, It is awesome :p:
    Same the next three years actually :p:

I got AAAAB.

ReputationRep:
    sry for my double posting. damn internet connection
    No need to apologise as far as I am concerned: if you are going to say nice things about me you can multi post as much as you like. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No need to apologise as far as I am concerned: if you are going to say nice things about me you can multi post as much as you like. :yep:
    LMAO! You will be missed PaulWhy, Im sure we might actually see a decline In the number of Economics applicants as Perfect Knowledge is lost creating imperfect conditions.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to SOAS before, It is awesome :p:
    Same the next three years actually :p:

I got AAAAB.
    Nice results! I presume you were predicted straight A's:p:

Is that you In your profile pic?

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! You will be missed PaulWhy, Im sure we might actually see a decline In the number of Economics applicants as Perfect Knowledge is lost creating imperfect conditions.
    Yes, I am sure that many econ courses will have spaces in 2011.
    It is going to be a big problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.