Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Nice results! I presume you were predicted straight A's:p:

Is that you In your profile pic?
    erm yes lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Yes, I am sure that many econ courses will have spaces in 2011.
    If only the same could be said for this year, sigh, going to be one hell of a competitive year, especially with ones who didn't get in last year reapplying, but these budget cuts, IMO I don't think they effect the amount of places for traditional courses (such as Economics), in fact, courses such as Sciences and Mathematics have had their numbers steadily increase over the past few years if I'm not mistaken. So would you agree on saying that the number of "seats" available for Economics has been cut this year at the "mainstream" top 50 Universities in this country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly1991)
    erm yes lol
    I could've sworn I've seen you before! Live near Surrey? Like New Malden, Surbiton, Kingston, Richmond etc?

Anyhoo you are one hawt larkee lol.

ReputationRep:
    I could've sworn I've seen you before! Live near Surrey? Like New Malden, Surbiton, Kingston, Richmond etc?

yes I do live in surrey. Surbition is like half an hour away

you might have.

Thanks but I am not :/

ReputationRep:
    yes I do live in surrey. Surbition is like half an hour away

you might have.

Thanks but I am not :/
    Lol never say never! What makes you say that anyway? Your picture certainly disproved your point.

I live near Wimbledon, distinct chance that you travel up there?

ReputationRep:
    Lol never say never! What makes you say that anyway? Your picture certainly disproved your point.

I live near Wimbledon, distinct chance that you travel up there?
    I am not though

Tinsletown milkshake :awesome: But they have closed it down =(

ReputationRep:
    If only the same could be said for this year, sigh, going to be one hell of a competitive year, especially with ones who didn't get in last year reapplying,
    Well in every cycle there are always some re-appplications from students who applied in the previous cycle. So I don't think that is anything special in this cycle.

but these budget cuts,
    Well it is complciated. In 08/09 there were increases in the number of places just that:
    i)it was not as big an increase as expected.
    ii)it was not as big an increase in the number of applicants.

IMO I don't think they effect the amount of places for traditional courses (such as Economics), in fact, courses such as Sciences and Mathematics have had their numbers steadily increase over the past few years if I'm not mistaken.
    Not sure what the numbers are.

So would you agree on saying that the number of "seats" available for Economics has been cut this year at the "mainstream" top 50 Universities in this country?
    No.
    For example Warwick has increased it's numbers of econ places in the last couple of years. (it wanted the extra money.... )

ReputationRep:
    I am not though

Tinsletown milkshake :awesome: But they have closed it down =(
    Nah, I think you are, just shy lol

Yup, Tinsletown is the best, meant a few extra hours at the gym, but it was worth it! Now I have to travel up to bloody Farringdon! Still, not too far from City and SOAS lol

You from Pakistan?

ReputationRep:
    Well in every cycle there are always some re-appplications from students who applied in the previous cycle. So I don't think that is anything special in this cycle.
    Yes, probably the Media bandwagon trying to profit maximise through their usual strategies, all talk the same rubbish!

Well it is complciated. In 08/09 there were increases in the number of places just that:
    i)it was not as big an increase as expected.
    ii)it was not as big an increase in the number of applicants.
    Not sure what the numbers are. [/QUOTE]

I see.

No.
    For example Warwick has increased it's numbers of econ places in the last couple of years. (it wanted the extra money.... )
    Profit Maximisation at its very best!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what Unis are you going to be lecturing at, I presume that's what you want to do after your PhD or are you thinking of working for an NGO/Bank etc?

ReputationRep:
    :
    Nah, I think you are, just shy lol

Yup, Tinsletown is the best, meant a few extra hours at the gym, but it was worth it! Now I have to travel up to bloody Farringdon! Still, not too far from City and SOAS lol

You from Pakistan?
    Yep same :p: Worth it though.

I'll prop end up in City or SOAS, go there everyday :p: then hit the gym afterwards lol

ReputationRep:
    :

Yep same :p: Worth it though.

I'll prop end up in City or SOAS, go there everyday :p: then hit the gym afterwards lol
    Lol start a Tinseltown appreciation society! Ferro Rocher... Mmmmmm... lol

I hear bounty ones are quite good too? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, probably the Media bandwagon trying to profit maximise through their usual strategies, all talk the same rubbish!
    Well it is a case of needing to look past the headlines:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what Unis are you going to be lecturing at, I presume that's what you want to do after your PhD or are you thinking of working for an NGO/Bank etc?
    No, you are correct I want to be a lecturer. Long way from finishing. So no idea yet who is looking to offer me a job!

ReputationRep:
    Lol start a Tinseltown appreciation society! Ferro Rocher... Mmmmmm... lol

I hear bounty ones are quite good too? :rolleyes:
    That is my favouorite lol and oreos and kinder bueno.

I have tried all of the flavours. :p:

Oh and i am from Pakistan

ReputationRep:
    If only the same could be said for this year, sigh, going to be one hell of a competitive year, especially with ones who didn't get in last year reapplying, but these budget cuts, IMO I don't think they effect the amount of places for traditional courses (such as Economics), in fact, courses such as Sciences and Mathematics have had their numbers steadily increase over the past few years if I'm not mistaken. So would you agree on saying that the number of "seats" available for Economics has been cut this year at the "mainstream" top 50 Universities in this country?
    UCAS report a reduction in economics applications this cycle:
    L1 - Economics 44,490 -0.6%
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/about_us/media...s/2010/080210b

ReputationRep:
    UCAS report a reduction in economics applications this cycle:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/about_us/media...s/2010/080210b
    Now that is very, very interesting given the large general increase in applications. Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know why economics applications decreased whilst almost every other subject increased quite spectacularly...?

ReputationRep:
    Getting a 1:1 from any Russell Group university in a traditional field such as economics will definitely stand you in good stead for the future whether it be employment or further study

ReputationRep:
    :five:

Cambridge, LSE, UCL, SOAS and City.

Got rejected from Cambridge and offer from LSE but there is noooo way I am going to met it.

You?
    Sry for your Camb rejection, they r dumbasses . Congrats on the rest. We have one smart girl on this thread :yep:

you're creepy dude, but i agree with u

(Original post by jpatel10)
    Getting a 1:1 from any Russell Group university in a traditional field such as economics will definitely stand you in good stead for the future whether it be employment or further study
    yeah, on unistats Economics from Birmingham - 80% employment rate. Sounds pretty good. But a first is hard to get..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensation24)
    Sry for your Camb rejection, they r dumbasses . Congrats on the rest. We have one smart girl on this thread :yep:

yeah, on unistats Economics from Birmingham - 80% employment rate. Sounds pretty good. But a first is hard to get..
    Not if you're good at Economics and you pay attention in lectures. Average at 70% over 3 years and you're done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensation24)

It is cool, I knew i was going to get rejected.

You applied for economics too?

:woo: I am smart.... I wish :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpatel10)
    Not if you're good at Economics and you pay attention in lectures. Average at 70% over 3 years and you're done
    Hm. True, but still .. it's university, for 70% you have to work a little. Btwn, what else do you think a Economic Student should do extra than just good grades, to have better employment prospects ?:confused:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.