Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensation24)
    Hm. True, but still .. it's university, for 70% you have to work a little. Btwn, what else do you think a Economic Student should do extra than just good grades, to have better employment prospects ?:confused:
    That's the eternal question my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpatel10)
    That's the eternal question my friend
    hmm, i should make a separate thread for that

ReputationRep:
    Ugh don't take any notice of league tables, they change constantly and really are meaningless.

Have a look at unistats.com, and compare the graduate employment rates for your unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    UCAS report a reduction in economics applications this cycle:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/about_us/media...s/2010/080210b
    Wow, that Is unexpected! I would've though that with the mishandling of the Economy there may have been a rise in applicants. Strange, but tbh, means it could be that slight bit easier for me! Especially as C2 is looooong lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by katiemiranda)
    Ugh don't take any notice of league tables, they change constantly and really are meaningless.

Have a look at unistats.com, and compare the graduate employment rates for your unis.
    league tables > unistats especially when your comparing many league tables. They arnt meaningless, if you look across them and see your uni is ranked 80, 76 and 84 its fair to say your uni is in that range. The league tables are more useful than 'your perceived' reputation of uni based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    league tables > unistats especially when your comparing many league tables. They arnt meaningless, if you look across them and see your uni is ranked 80, 76 and 84 its fair to say your uni is in that range. The league tables are more useful than 'your perceived' reputation of uni based.
    All well and good, but if you specifically want to know the graduate prospects for your universities, unistats will be much more helpful than knowing your university is ranked 80. Relative rankings are only really useful in knowing how your education will affect your future if you know what they're relative to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensation24)
    Actually, i love it ! i love the city ( big city ), the uni campus, the uni & everything. From what i've seen/heard .. seems like my kind of university. But i'm worried about my graduate prospects..Don't wanna be another jobless guy with a degree..
    If your gonna be jobless it won't be cos your degree is from Birmingham, and not like, Cambridge.
    A degree is still a degree! And bhams rep isn't bad at all

ReputationRep:
    Also, take Unistats with a pinch of salt, just because it says 80% of grads employed in grad jobs means that they're all necessarily brilliant jobs, they could all become teachers, and also look at the class size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil28)
    Now that is very, very interesting given the large general increase in applications. Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know why economics applications decreased whilst almost every other subject increased quite spectacularly...?
    1)L1 - Economics 44,490 -0.6%
    I think that means 44,759 choices in 09
    So decrease of 269 choices.
    So suggest decrease of 269/5=54 students.
    So very very small change.

2) Economics had a big increase between 08 and 09. So that may explain why no further increase this cycle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Also, take Unistats with a pinch of salt, just because it says 80% of grads employed in grad jobs means that they're all necessarily brilliant jobs, they could all become teachers, and also look at the class size.
    Unistats for each course gives the highest 10 categories and the frequency for those categories.

ReputationRep:
    Unistats for each course gives the highest 10 categories and the frequency for those categories.
    In my own experience, I've found the data to be sometimes different to when going to the University directly, this was the case for Surrey, City, SOAS and I think Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    In my own experience, I've found the data to be sometimes different to when going to the University directly, this was the case for Surrey, City, SOAS and I think Manchester.
    Surprised that directly they told you the job destinations of their graduates at all.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised that directly they told you the job destinations of their graduates at all.
    Well it was culmination of both asking them at their open days and links on their websites. For example, with SOAS I went to the econ talk and then managed to talk to the head of the careers dept who showed us the grad destinations, very specioc ones such as which company and where. I have some papers and links somewhere can forward them on to you since now you have the starting salary on TAELT.

Also regarding TAELT, how is it that RHUL has am average starting salary of 26K when UNis above it such as Manchester, Birmingham, Loughborough, Exeter etc have it in the reigon of 23K-25K
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well it was culmination of both asking them at their open days and links on their websites. For example, with SOAS I went to the econ talk and then managed to talk to the head of the careers dept who showed us the grad destinations, very specioc ones such as which company and where. I have some papers and links somewhere can forward them on to you since now you have the starting salary on TAELT.

Also regarding TAELT, how is it that RHUL has am average starting salary of 26K when UNis above it such as Manchester, Birmingham, Loughborough, Exeter etc have it in the reigon of 23K-25K
    Because of its affiliation with University of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Because of its affiliation with University of London.
    But still, it's hardly one of the top Uni of London Colleges like LSE, UCL and Kings, then its probably Imperial and then RHUL/SOAS.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Paulwhy]1)L1 - Economics 44,490 -0.6%
    So very vechange. [/ry small QUOTE]

True, the real change in students going for economics is rather unimpressive, but the disparity between the change in applications for economics and the genereal change overall is 23.5% which, to me, is surprising given that even for subjects that are very competitive (like Medicine) applications are still significantly up.

Still, I'm not complaining - less competition probably made things easier for me

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=phil28]
    1)L1 - Economics 44,490 -0.6%
    So very vechange. [/ry small QUOTE]

True, the real change in students going for economics is rather unimpressive, but the disparity between the change in applications for economics and the genereal change overall is 23.5% which, to me, is surprising given that even for subjects that are very competitive (like Medicine) applications are still significantly up.

Still, I'm not complaining - less competition probably made things easier for me
    Well for me given the big increase in econ applicatications last year not that surprising that no furthr increase this year.

and thanks to who ever repped me.

ReputationRep:
    and thanks to who ever repped me.
    Sorry, that was me - I forgot to sign it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Sorry, that was me - I forgot to sign it!
    No need to apologise.
    esp when you have rep to give rep.
    i.e. I must have set a record for recieving o reps.

ReputationRep:
    how is Birmingham uni generally? as in the Economics course?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.