Turn on thread page Beta

HELP!! Taking the Morning After Pill twice! watch

ReputationRep:
    HELP!

On Thursday night we had a little accident resulting in me having to take the morning after pill on Friday....BUT we ended up having another accident last night (stupid condoms splitting) which means i'm going to have to wait until monday and get the pill AGAIN!
    taking it 3 days apart is gonna bugger me right up isnt it =[, they say using it once is bad enough so i'm really worried.
    anyone experienced this before and can advise me of whats going to happen?!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have to wait until Monday?

Whilst it does work up to 72 hours after, it's most effective within 24 hours so waiting isn't a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    You'll grow a tail and fangs. If you experience severe symptoms such as bones protruding through the skin and/or death please contact a medical professional.

ReputationRep:
    If you're having this much bad luck with condoms, wouldn't an alternative method of contraception be an idea?

And yeah, it's not healthy to use the map in such close succession. I'd seriously advise an alt method of contraception tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Why do you have to wait until Monday?

Whilst it does work up to 72 hours after, it's most effective within 24 hours so waiting isn't a good idea.
    theres nowhere open on a sunday is there?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps go and see your GP about going on the pill or getting an implant? It would prevent accidents like those worrying you.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you have a Boots chemist open on a sunday. The whole shopping centre where I live is like, open til 5 on a sunday

ReputationRep:
    i'm away from home right now so have no idea were the nearest boots is sadly =/

ReputationRep:
    The OP might live in a small village/town like where I'm from. The only places open on Sundays are pubs and grocery shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFinlay<3)
    theres nowhere open on a sunday is there?
    There should be at least one pharmacy somewhere in your area that is open on a Sunday (unless you live in the middle of nowhere/somewhere particularly small). There has to be somewhere open; each area of the country has a rota of pharmacy/chemists that are open outside normal opening hours.

Lloyds has a search function for pharmacies open on a Sunday (go to advanced search). www.lloydspharmacy.com or google it for your area. This also has a list of pharmacies open 24 hours. Not sure if this includes Sundays but would imagine so: http://www.latenightchemist.co.uk/

Or you can call the NHS direct and I'd imagine they could tell you your nearest chemist which is open: 0845 4647, or if you're in Scotland NHS 24 which is 08454 242424

If you don't know where shops in your local area are, it's as simple as looking it up on Google maps, surely?

You really don't want to wait. The effectiveness of the morning after pill decreases considerably with time. If there are any problems with you taking it though, I'm sure the pharmacist will let you know. They are trained, they don't just hand them out like sweets.

ReputationRep:
    Taking the pill causes you too have a period up to 7 days after taking it. I think you should be fine after taking the pill the other day but always best to check.

Why dont you google services in the area, family planning clinics at the local hospital if you can't get to a chemists. Dont leave it ! Longer you leave it worse the problem could get.

Definatly go for another type of contraception.
    Condoms splitting twice very unlucky. Are they too small for him ?

ReputationRep:
    Go and speak to your pharmacist or doctor and ask their advice. You are not supposed to take the morning after pill regularly so taking it within days of the other is probably not a good idea.

If the condom keeps splitting you are either using crappy condoms, or not doing it right. I would suggest looking into other forms of birth control if this is a common problem for you. Going on the contraceptive pill and using condoms will provide a much more effective form of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFinlay<3)
    HELP!

On Thursday night we had a little accident resulting in me having to take the morning after pill on Friday....BUT we ended up having another accident last night (stupid condoms splitting) which means i'm going to have to wait until monday and get the pill AGAIN!
    taking it 3 days apart is gonna bugger me right up isnt it =[, they say using it once is bad enough so i'm really worried.
    anyone experienced this before and can advise me of whats going to happen?!
    The fact 2 condoms have split within 3 days would suggest some issues with your usage of them. Do you know how to correctly put them on? I would recommend going on the contraceptive pill or getting an implant because you evidently aren't having much luck with the condoms.

As for now, you need to wait until Monday if you can't find an open chemist but the effectiveness may be compromised after 48 hours (although it is effective up to 72 hours).

Taking the MAP in quick succession like this may have some health implications or side effects. It's best to go and talk to your GP. Could you book an emergency appointment for Monday morning? Or, go to a sexual health clinic where the nurses will no doubt be more than happy to help.

In the future, don't have sex if you're not 100% happy with the contraception. Check the condom is on properly and there's no air trapped in the top which could cause it to split and seriously, consider an alternative method of contraception to avoid mistakes like this in the future!

ReputationRep:
    You can have the coil fitted up to 5 days after unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy- and maybe if you're having so many issues with condoms then this is the answer?
    I know it's not the 'fashionable' thing but it may be better than going through two morning after pills in succession.

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with having it even once?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.