Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Completely broke but want to get fit, HELP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I need some ideas on how I can get exercise without going to the gym. I am at a point where I only have enough money for food and rent and no other luxuries (no, not even for transportation - I ride my bike EVERYWHERE), but I really, REALLY want to get fit. I was doing well and going to the gym and working my ass off but I can no longer afford to do so.

I hate running outdoors in English weather. It is 100% misery. But it does have the advantage of being FREE. So what are some tips you can give me regarding how to stay warm and have a good run outdoors? The one thing I don't like about running outdoors is the lack of focus. On a treadmill I can set the incline, the speed and just HANG IN THERE until the 40 minutes are over. But when you're running outdoors there are so much more distractions, the temptation to slow down is strong, the wind is in your face and your ears start to hurt, your shirt is sticking uncomfortably to your back from the sweat, your fingers are freezing, your nose is running... ugh ugh ugh!!!! Worst off is you don't know how many calories you are burning or any way of gauging the intensity of your run.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have to run? you have a bike, you could just use that. set up a 5-6 mile circular route, including inclines and everything you want, and do laps of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    I ride my bike EVERYWHERE
    We have a winner.

Also, do some body weight circuits (pressups, burpees, bodyweight squats, chin ups if you have a place to do them etc) in your room or whatever space you have available. They're a good way to get an all-round workout without going to much effort or spending any money.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, use your bike. Set up a route. Lap it. Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    We have a winner.

Also, do some body weight circuits (pressups, burpees, bodyweight squats, chin ups if you have a place to do them etc) in your room or whatever space you have available. They're a good way to get an all-round workout without going to much effort or spending any money.
    I agree with this post. I go to a gym but I prefer doing bodyweight exercises than using machines most of the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.