Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There must be something more deserving of funds than the papal visit, or should we pay for the head of mormons / scientology as well?
    I can think of several projects in education, health, and public transport that are in dire need of proper funding. How about you?
    see and sign!!
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/petition-the-pm.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StoneRoad)
    or should we pay for the head of mormons / scientology as well?
    Scientology has barely a few milllion followers world wide while Catholicism alone has over 1 billion. So no.

Im totally for the papal visit, however still undecided as to weather we should pay the bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StoneRoad)
    There must be something more deserving of funds than the papal visit, or should we pay for the head of mormons / scientology as well?
    I can think of several projects in education, health, and public transport that are in dire need of proper funding. How about you?
    see and sign!!
    http://www.secularism.org.uk/petition-the-pm.html
    But do you seriously believe that the projects you can think of will not happen because of the Pope's visit? Is this really a zero sum game? Is Britain just about to spend its last 20 million?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    Scientology has barely a few milllion followers world wide while Catholicism alone has over 1 billion. So no.

Im totally for the papal visit, however still undecided as to weather we should pay the bill.
    I think the Catholic Church should pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    £20 million could benefit those who really need it. Of course, the Catholic Church could claim that it needs it. It believes, like any Church, that it is doing the work of "God".

ReputationRep:
    surely as a "Christian" act, they should offer to pay for it but ask England to donate £20 million to a charitable cause?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    surely as a "Christian" act, they should offer to pay for it but ask England to donate £20 million to a charitable cause?
    this

ReputationRep:
    Mmm... I smell invented and unexplained figures.

Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we should even bother to debate such made-up numbers. Sure, a Papal visit incurs some cost - mainly in policing - but the State has a duty to protect and guard every single person in this country. It is not the government's job - nor indeed anyone else's - to suggest that someone should not go about their lawful business because it costs the state money to protect them.

Still, Roman Catholics have always been seen as a good target for idiots to attack. Plus ca change...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Mmm... I smell invented and unexplained figures.

Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we should even bother to debate such made-up numbers. Sure, a Papal visit incurs some cost - mainly in policing - but the State has a duty to protect and guard every single person in this country. It is not the government's job - nor indeed anyone else's - to suggest that someone should not go about their lawful business because it costs the state money to protect them.

Still, Roman Catholics have always been seen as a good target for idiots to attack. Plus ca change...
    Agreed, although football clubs contribute to the cost policing games and it does seem that one purpose of the visit is to lure the gay and women hating Anglicans to the Catholic church. Which i feel is a worthy cause for attack.

ReputationRep:
    A visit by the pope or two years security for Musharraf - the pope is a bargain!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.