Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Im currently studying C2 binomial expansion but I missed the lesson on it. Apparently we're using the C4 method to solve it, so not nCr and not \dfrac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}. I asked my friend for the equation but I can't make heads or tails of it. If anyone can write this out in latex or something and explain it a bit that would be good, thanks.

(1+x)^n=1+nx+n(n-1)x^2/2! + n(n-1)(n-2)x^3/3!+...etc etc

All three methods give the same answers.

nCr (read n choose r) is defined as n!/(r!(n-r)!)

The coefficients of x^r in the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n are nCr

For example: nC3 = n!/((3!)(n-3)!)

Now n!/(n-3)! just cancels down to leave n(n-1)(n-2) and you've still got a 3! in the denominator

You have missed the point. You will not really need the formula for (1+x)^n for C2 stuff.

In C2, you will learn how to expand (a+b)^n. You will have been shown Pascal's triangle, and the nCr thingy.
    The expansion is: a^n + nC1a^(n-1)b + nc2a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + nCra^(n-r)b^r
    I think anyway. I'll admit I've never before used nCr notation. I liked Pascal's traingle. :p:
    But to be fair, binomial expansion was in C1 for me, so no calculator. Maybe if it's on C2 for you, n will be a large number that would make it impractical to use the triangle.

Anyway, on the questions with stuff like (1 + 2x)^4, you just rewrite a = 1, b = 2x, for your expansion of (a+b)^4. Remember that when you have b^3, it's (2x)^3 = 8x^3, not 2x^3.

For questions that ask for the coefficient of x^k for, say, (1 + 2x)^4 again, and you haven't already written out the expansion, then you need to notice that the coefficient of x^k is (nCk)(2^k)(1^(n-k)). If you don't understand this, quote me again.

Don't worry about the C4 series expansion yet. It won't help you answer the questions in C2 correctly.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.