Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is an Apprenticeship worth an A level, for example an apprenticeship in health and social care would that be worth the normal A level study that most do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ahmed_123)
    Is an Apprenticeship worth an A level, for example an apprenticeship in health and social care would that be worth the normal A level study that most do?
    What do you mean by 'worth' and who do you have in mind? (Universities?)

I would immediately say no, not really - they are very different things. An apprenticeship may be more practical/skills based, and much more specific to a particular vocation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Anyway, aren't apprenticeships intended to be an alternative to university? i.e after A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Anyway, aren't apprenticeships intended to be an alternative to university? i.e after A levels?
    They're intended for both, I think. I know a few people from my secondary school who went straight from GCSE to an apprenticeship. I've also seen on the Apprenticeships website, some employers require A-levels and some do not.

Apprenticeships are for everyone I think, considering there is also gcse and A-level equivalents e.g. NVQ 2 being the GCSE equivalent, NVQ 3 being the A-level equivalent and the newer NVQ 4's being between A-level and degree level.

ReputationRep:
    but is the NVQ 3 worth A levels, do universities look at them in equal levels?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ahmed_123)
    but is the NVQ 3 worth A levels, do universities look at them in equal levels?
    I think it would depend which Uni.

Cambridge say this:

(Original post by Cambridge Website)
    VCE and Applied A levels have been developed as a vocational qualification equivalent to A level. VCE A levels, Applied A levels, GNVQs and/or BTECs are not an ideal preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational. For courses that require a large amount of background technical knowledge, VCE or Applied A levels, GNVQs or BTECs cannot, unless otherwise stated, be used to replace the 'essential' and 'highly desirable' A levels listed for each course. However, if the 'essential' and 'highly desirable' subjects are covered, a six-unit VCE or Applied A level could be taken instead of a third A level or as an additional fourth broadening subject. This combination of A levels and VCE or other qualifications may be acceptable for some courses. Potential applicants taking these qualifications are advised to seek further advice from an Admissions Tutor.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    p.s other university websites I have looked at EG Manchester ask that you email the admissions office to check their policy on alternative qualifications, because it depends on a few different things.

ReputationRep:
    thanks buddy that helped me alot : )

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.