Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So many year 11s, I feel old!
    I'm in year 12, hoping to apply later this year, and I'm doing maths, chemistry, biology and physics.
    I'm really worried about getting the grades and the ridiculous amount of competition :p:

ReputationRep:
    I love all the y11's who have already decided! I had no idea til like the end of year twelve... Just lucky I happen to love science and was taking all the right A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidrah)
    Ah.. Once upon a time, I was like you xP
    Nah, I only really chose medicine after my work experience, and that was last August.. lol
    Go for it guys and good luck
    Wow you have an offer from Cambridge? What did you get in your GCSEs & take for A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    If I get As at the end of this year (in year 12), i'll consider medicine, but I'm not sure if I'm capable of it yet!
    I'm doing maths, chemistry, physics and biology.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Biology and Maths (A-Level).
    AS Certificated from last year: Further Maths, General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! (currently in y11)

thinking of:

- maths
    - chemistry
    - physics
    - german
    - biology (self-teaching)
    - critical thinking (AS)

stupid teachers at school not letting me study biology at a-level so i have to take it out of school
    Is that because they only let you do four?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryaaaaannnnn)
    I'm going to do
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Psychology

And also going to get work experience in summer at Bristol Royal Infirmary hopefully
    Gahh, I've been waiting for them to get back to me for months now :P I may not be the age min. by then tho. -_- Southmead haven't got back to me neither. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    im also a year 11 planning to take
    biology
    maths
    chemistry
    history of ar

already got an a* in maths too
    do you need maths for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    im in year 28 ( a mature student)

i am doing my alevels in a year via distance learning. im taking;

biology
    religious studies
    maths
    chemistry (AS)

chemistry is only to AS because i am doing at the local college and they will not let me do it in a year
    i am predicted A*AAa, but because i will have to take 14 exams in one go i have little confidance in actually achieving this.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh. just like doing them back in the ol days, batty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    Gahh, I've been waiting for them to get back to me for months now :P I may not be the age min. by then tho. -_- Southmead haven't got back to me neither. Good luck
    Ahh thank you haha
    I went to them in year 10 for work experience and they ended up cancelling it - so they owe me one haha :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)

Oh yeah btw, have you sent them your appilcation form? If so and you haven't tried already, ring them up for an interview. When I applied last year they didn't get in touch with me, I had to get in touch with them.

ReputationRep:
    soon you will be jumping up and doon in the med school bar, macca. trust me, Ryyyyaaaaaaaaan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I'd recommend dropping Religious Studies after your first year, Maths is more respected, but it's up to you.
    I disagree. Maths is seen as a more traditional one for a medical applicant, but it's not needed, so OP I'd say don't feel like you have to keep it, a lot of people do. Religious Studies would be particularly good if it's of personal interest to you, as long as you can relate skills you learn from studying it to medicine it's fine. But hey, you might prefer maths, i dunno :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky21)
    nah - the stupid guys don't think i'd be able to keep up to standard with the workload.

but i've just recently found out that if i do get a good mark for the GCSE i'm going to take in june for bio, then i mite still be able to take it in school, in which case i'll drop physics (don't really like it too much, and the teachers in the school for physics are rubbish)

only the chemistry ones are good - 5 out of 6 of them have PhDs, so they're well qualified.

(Original post by Becky21)
    i've even asked if i cud take 3 A-levels in school: maths, chemistry and german, and do biology outside of school, but we all do 4 in school

(Original post by ballerinabetty)
    im in year 28 ( a mature student)

i am doing my alevels in a year via distance learning. im taking;

biology
    religious studies
    maths
    chemistry (AS)
    so how are you going to do the practical bit of the sciences? (i'd like to know coz i'm planning to do biology outside of school )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    so how are you going to do the practical bit of the sciences? (i'd like to know coz i'm planning to do biology outside of school :confused:)
    the biology assesments can be done out side of class (they dont need a lab) the chem stuff will be at a test center. however this is so hard to organise that i have decided i may just go to college and do it all over 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Bio, chemi, business studies, maths(AS)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.