Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im in my third year and 23 years of age. After having a good think about the pro's and con's to uni i have come to the conclusion that for most people, uni is not really that useful and maybe even worthless. I would be interested to hear what others had to say.

When I applied for uni I honestly thought it was by far the best way to improve future job prospects etc, but after going through the system im now not convinced. A degree seems to be common place, pretty much anyone can get one and this makes them less valuable to employers.
    Ok people might say, think of all the life experiences or your gonna "find yourself" and most people think its cool that you can give yourself liver cancer for three years. But do we need Uni to do all that?

ReputationRep:
    Only if you take a pointless degree. Which did you do?
    There are Different routes into a lot of things however for some going to uni is essential.

ReputationRep:
    You are in your 3rd year, you may as well carry on.
    If everyone can get a degree, surely it will look bad if you dont have one? Seeing as "they are so easy to get". So to speak.

I am in my first year, not enjoying the social side, but the course is great.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, university was definitely worth it for me.

I spent three years growing and learning as a person, finding out who I truly was. I had lots of experiences, I gained an excellent education which led to my ideal job upon graduation, and, most importantly, I made brilliant friends and found the love of my life.

All that for £21k ain't bad, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want to do with your life really, it was worth it for me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In terms of future employability and monetary accumulation university is not going to be worth it for most people doing arts and humanities degrees but in terms of experiences, education and making friends it's certainly worth it for almost everyone.

The more people that have degrees, the more people will need them in order to appeal to employers.

ReputationRep:
    Sports science, so yer pretty pointless really looking at the realistic options available. I think uni is only a good idea if you have a focused profession at the end of the course eg dentist etc.
    @ ADavis1 How come you aint enjoying the social side?

ReputationRep:
    A degree seems to be common place, pretty much anyone can get one and this makes them less valuable to employers.
    Which makes people without degrees even less valuable, obviously. Why would you want to deliberately decrease your chances of getting a good job?

There aren't any jobs I'm remotely interested that don't require a degree, so obviously I think it's worth it. I don't care how much it costs - I'm not willing to spend my life doing a job I dislike.

ReputationRep:
    You earn more when you have a degree and gone to uni than compared to those who doesnt have a degree over a life time.:o:

ReputationRep:
    where did u do sports science? and opinions please

ReputationRep:
    So many jobs (good career ones, I mean) now ask for a degree (any degree), so trust me if you didn't have one you'd find it wayyy harder to find work.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth it if you're doing a real degree at a top 15/20 Uni. Not really worth the investment otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)

I spent three years growing and learning as a person, finding out who I truly was. I had lots of experiences, I gained an excellent education which led to my ideal job upon graduation, and, most importantly, I made brilliant friends and found the love of my life.

how does your degree relate to your job though and you don't need to be at uni to spend 3 years growing up, learning and finding out who you are. Only thing you can do exclusiuvely at uni is get an education

always thought the "going to meet people, finding out about myself etc etc" were poor reasons to justify going to uni but that's just me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-sound23)
    Im in my third year and 23 years of age. After having a good think about the pro's and con's to uni i have come to the conclusion that for most people, uni is not really that useful and maybe even worthless. I would be interested to hear what others had to say.

When I applied for uni I honestly thought it was by far the best way to improve future job prospects etc, but after going through the system im now not convinced. A degree seems to be common place, pretty much anyone can get one and this makes them less valuable to employers.
    Ok people might say, think of all the life experiences or your gonna "find yourself" and most people think its cool that you can give yourself liver cancer for three years. But do we need Uni to do all that?
    Agree, but like you I'm in my third year and its too late to turn back now. Must soldier on!

ReputationRep:
    depends where and for what. But yes I agree that for certain subjects at certain unis you might aswell not (unless your hopeful career requires it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)

You keep convincing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Employers say degrees are 'pointless'

ReputationRep:
    Yeah cos I get it freeee

And it's a good laugh

ReputationRep:
    I study science, so uni is most definitely the only option. But I agree that for a lot of careers it isn't strictly necessary and there are other ways in. It's up to the individual to decide if the degree is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Employers say degrees are 'pointless'
    That is only 1 in 10 employers though. So a degree is clearly still needed for many jobs.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.