Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i am a girl and i want to do sports science and i need help choosing between these universities. Please give opinions especially anyone studying there. I am unsure about the fact that at exeter sports is at st lukes campus which is not the main campus and doesnt look as good as streatham, and loughborough is obvs the top sports uni but has like 3 guys to every girl! and as i want to study sports science this may seem weird but would the course be full of "jocks" lol?
    PLEASE ADVISE!

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's sports science dept. is being moved to the main campus (I thought the move had already took place - obviously not). There is no doubt that the main campus (Streatham) is better than St Lukes (which houses the Graduate School of Education and the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry). If I had the choice I'd rather be at Streatham than St Lukes.

Loughborough has an amazing reputation for sports, and the university always ass kicks when it comes to BUSA (it always comes top of the inter-university sporting competition and obtains 2-3 times as many points as second place).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thats quite helpful! wow i massively do hope that sports courses are being moved to the streatham campus that would be awesome news where did u hear this how could i find out if this is true and when it is taking place? because Exeter would be much more convenient for me than loughborough

ReputationRep:
    Basically, the university conducted feasibility study concerning the sustainability of the St Lukes campus in light of its small space and growing departments based there. We (Exeter students) were made aware of the study 3 years ago. The study concluded that it was best to keep St Lukes as the home of Education and Medicine, and move Sports to the main campus. I *think* Sports was to be moved to a refurbished existing building on Streatham, and the department homed in that building was to have a brand new building built. The move isn't a rumour - it's common knowledge. All students were sent e-mails by the university management both during and after the feasibility study.

If you want to know exact dates etc, then e-mail the admin or member of staff there. They will know more. It may be that the department won't move until after you graduate. Or, conversely, it may move part-way through your degree. I really don't know. All I do know for certain is that the move will happen.

ReputationRep:
    If you're hot, come to Exe. If you're not, I don't really care.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Exeter all the way, im basically at st lukes even though i study on streatham and even i like it here the atmosphere is good and anyways 'id rather be a lukey than a jiv' and anyways if you do sports you'll be up in streatham a few times anyways.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks thats AWESOME! as exeter students then what can u tell me about student life? Is there plenty to do? Is stuff within walking distance? etc Basically anything u can tell me would be great

ReputationRep:
    haha i assume a jiv is a nickname for someone at streatham but why lol? And how far apart are the campuses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feebz)
    ok thanks thats AWESOME! as exeter students then what can u tell me about student life? Is there plenty to do? Is stuff within walking distance? etc Basically anything u can tell me would be great
    You'd be best posting a new thread in the Exeter forum:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20

ReputationRep:
    ahhh yes sounds like a plan thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Exeter's sports science dept. is being moved to the main campus
    Is this move definitely happening from Sept 2010 ? I'm gutted if it is because I loved St Lukes, and that was one of the reasons I was going to put it as my firm... Not sure now. They didn't mention this move when I was at the open day.
    Does that mean if SES was at Streatham, I wouldn't be able to live in halls at Lukes?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Sports Science then I'd advise going to the better university for Sport, which is definitely Loughborough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise..123)
    Is this move definitely happening from Sept 2010 ? I'm gutted if it is because I loved St Lukes, and that was one of the reasons I was going to put it as my firm... Not sure now. They didn't mention this move when I was at the open day.
    Does that mean if SES was at Streatham, I wouldn't be able to live in halls at Lukes?
    Well, it was supposed to be moving to the main site in the near future, but for some reason this appears to have been delayed. No idea why. I think the dept. was going to move into the building of another dept. on the main site, but that building may not be vacant just yet :dontknow:

I'm confused about the whole affair myself. I was sent an e-mail saying Sport was definitely being moved to the main campus a couple of years ago. Medicine and Education were to stay at St Lukes. The best thing you could do is e-mail a tutor there and ask what the plans are. It may be that dept. can't move for another 2-3 years, which may not affect you.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.