Turn on thread page Beta

When a history question asks you to 'use all the sources and your own knowledge' watch

ReputationRep:
    Say the question is, "Assess the claim that King John (made up man) went to war because of the advice of his magnates" and as a group the sources SUPPORT this view, but you generally think this wasn't the case, how do you write an answer? I mean, should your own knowledge support the sources or is it okay to say ALTHOUGH these sources suggest, based on my own knowledge..type thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    Say the question is, "Assess the claim that King John (made up man) went to war because of the advice of his magnates" and as a group the sources SUPPORT this view, but you generally think this wasn't the case, how do you write an answer? I mean, should your own knowledge support the sources or is it okay to say ALTHOUGH these sources suggest, based on my own knowledge..type thing?
    Source A, B and C support the view because...

However source D doesn't support the view...

From my own knowledge I know that... and this doesn't support the view either.

Hence, I can reach the conclusion...

You can go against the majority of the sources, of course

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine to say that, while the sources support one thing there is evidence that supports the opposite view. Just as long as you can back up all points you make, then there's no reason that shouldn't be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    as a group the sources SUPPORT this view, but you generally think this wasn't the case, how do you write an answer?
    Use the sources to show one side of the argument (support) and your own knowledge to show the other side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Source A, B and C support the view because...

However source D doesn't support the view...

From my own knowledge I know that... and this doesn't support the view either.

Hence, I can reach the conclusion...

You can go against the majority of the sources, of course

This. To an Extent.

Discuss each sourced based on it's merits. If your arguing that the source agrees with your point, talk about the one that does so most significantly first, then the others, then the ones that disagree. Throughout bring in your own knowledge and then, if you need to write a separate paragraph for your own views, do so. Please however, do not write it like this "From my own knowledge I know that... and this doesn't support the view either."

The examiner knows if it's your own knowledge or not, and refer to the argument directly, don't call it the argument (view).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.