Turn on thread page Beta

self harmer on a sunny/hot holiday watch

ReputationRep:
    Bandage it. Thats the only option. Either that or sweat it out in a long sleeve top.

couldn't you wear a shirt but open up the buttons, so your torso is showing

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible that you'll have stopped cutting yourself by the time the holiday comes around? Becuase having a bunch of scars is going to be less of a problem than a bunch of fresh cuts. If you can you may as well just not bother covering it up (if you can cope with other people knowing) as it will be obvious what's happened to you and people generally won't ask even if they do stare a bit. Otherwise i think one of those wrist bandages is your best bet. Also, i'm not sure how a tatoo or henna will be on scarred arm tissue... probably not the best idea.

Hope all goes well with your help and enjoy your holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Can I ask why you do it, or why you started? Surely it must have been a phase, to get some attention maybe? I've only met one self-harmer, who was the biggest attention-whore I've met- cant see how its an addiction some will power and, sorry to use the phrase, common sense, will end.
    It's hard to explain. I first started pretty much at 15, punching walls, first cut I did was when I was 15 too, I cut my hand, yes I think it was pretty much for attention back then, I had no friends, and I rarely spoke to anyone.

I stopped for a long time til i was 17 after that, one night, when i was drunk, very angry, and felt socially anxious, I punched a wall, even though my knuckles bled, it wasn't enough, i just got a pair of scissors in the bathroom, and slashed my wrist. Simple as that. from then, it started once every few months, then gradually got more. I doubt it was/is for attention as no one has ever seen(except doctor, counsellor)

I say it's addictive because it does make me feel quite euphoric. it didn't at first, but the more i cut, the more i liked it, to the point I simply can't stop

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, you could always use the excuse that you don't want to burn and therefore are wearing longer tops.
    Have you tried squeezing ice cubes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Is it possible that you'll have stopped cutting yourself by the time the holiday comes around? Becuase having a bunch of scars is going to be less of a problem than a bunch of fresh cuts. If you can you may as well just not bother covering it up (if you can cope with other people knowing) as it will be obvious what's happened to you and people generally won't ask even if they do stare a bit. Otherwise i think one of those wrist bandages is your best bet. Also, i'm not sure how a tatoo or henna will be on scarred arm tissue... probably not the best idea.

Hope all goes well with your help and enjoy your holiday.
    thanks!^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sylarfangirl)
    Hmm, you could always use the excuse that you don't want to burn and therefore are wearing longer tops.
    Have you tried squeezing ice cubes?
    hehe i've heard of the ice cubes thing before, i tried it, and it in no way at all substitutes cutting, from my experience

(Original post by anon4042)
    I am. ^^
    No you are not. I used to self harm (on my left arm too).. I didn't do it for attention. It was a release.

It is good you are getting help. Perhaps you could say that you have hurt your arm and put one of those wraps on it (what you use if you sprain your wrist)..

xxx

ReputationRep:
    http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.u...ns-614485.html

Long sleeve wetsuit top and do loads of watersports? In the evenings and other times, light long sleeve cotton shirts unbuttoned over vests perhaps. Say you got sun stroke once and are trying to avoid it this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon4042)
    (18Male)So, one of my relatives has booked a holiday for a few weeks in america, hawai being one of the stops. It will be hot in hawai. (I couldn't say no to this holiday, its too complicated to say why, I just couldn't.)

My problem is, I have an addiction with self harm, on an average day I will usually inflict ~3-4 cuts on my left arm. I don't cut anywhere else but my left arm(which is why my arm looks totally F'ed up.)

I have thought about alternatives such as cutting on my hip, chest or abs area, but feeling the comfort of having to put in the effort of having to hide the cuts on my left arm is part of the whole thing, its hard to explain, I just cant cut anywhere else but my left arm(although I will occassionaly, but rearely cut my right arm), and when I go into the urge to cut, I wouldn't be able to cut anywhere else anyway.

There is no way in hell that I can wear short sleeve shirts on this holiday, and most other guys wont be wearing a top at all, so relatives will get very suspicious, and they WILL question why I don't show my arms, if I can't find a solution to this

The best solution that I can think of, is somehow covering my left arm, can people with experience, or expertise with this sort of stuff give me advice please.(considering stopping SH is no option)
    EDIT: Also, telling my relatives about the SH is no option too
    2nd EDIT: I am getting help already everyone
    I self harm too but i've made an effort to try give it up but the occasional urges do arise. Have you got eczema? I use that as an excuse to not show my arms, although I do have bad marks left from my eczema anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Tubigrip is a life saver! £5 from Boots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No you are not. I used to self harm (on my left arm too).. I didn't do it for attention. It was a release.

It is good you are getting help. Perhaps you could say that you have hurt your arm and put one of those wraps on it (what you use if you sprain your wrist)..

xxx
    Me too I do it for release too...I don't see the point in doing it for attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    A close fitting arm bandage, the kind they out on sprain injures would be best.

http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/IGS.../IS862-004.jpg

You can buy them at places like Superdrug and Boots. Maybe even Wilkinson's.

But do get some help. :puppyeyes:
    oh god! Your profile pic! aha--ah--ah mm-my-m-m-my eyes!! Melted! And you like metal!

ReputationRep:
    Tubigrip or other bandaging is too obvious.

If you were a girl I'd recccomend a long sleve leotard instead of a swimsuit like: http://store.americanapparel.co.uk/rsa8357.html?cid=30
    but obviously you're not..
    so I'd go for a long sleeve rash vest like this: http://www.chelstondirect.com/images...vest-guard.jpg

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.u...ns-614485.html

Long sleeve wetsuit top and do loads of watersports? In the evenings and other times, light long sleeve cotton shirts unbuttoned over vests perhaps. Say you got sun stroke once and are trying to avoid it this time.
    this is a good idea. Also, as another poster suggested, look into Dermablend makeup. They have a leg and body cover up, can't remember exactly what it's called but it is pretty good for covering scars and tattoos.

ReputationRep:
    sweat band around ur wrist?

ReputationRep:
    It makes me frustrated when people have nasty things to say about self harmers. You are not in their shoes so you do not know what is going through there mind – so there is no need to be judgemental. Not nice at all.

And for those saying it’s all about being an ‘attention whore’ blah blah yes they want attention but they want help and they need the right sort of attention.

Further on being an ex self harmer I normally did it for a release to take the pain away – I don’t do it anymore but it makes me really sad to see others doing it – I just wish there is something I can do but these things take time and just my words to all the self harmers you are not alone –huge hugs-

A couple of things I tried in the past:

1. Arm warmers

2. Foundation – mine was horrible it made the scars look obvious when I was at school this girl screamed omg you self harm! And I had to lie that a glass fell on me! It was not nice at all!

3. Bracelets – lots of black chunky ones for men (not for females – being a female its easy to hide them since you can wear loads of bracelets)

4. Since you are going on holiday may I suggest you might want to wear a nice kaftan in white ? long sleeved – nobody will notice I mean are your scars fresh? Like red or in the healing process?

5. Sweat bands

Here are some you tube videos I have digged out for you (I hope they help)

Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

Some you-tubers have some good suggestions if you look at the comment sections below

If you need to talk you can pm me happy to try and help

Enjoy your holiday and try not to cut in places which can be a threat to your life xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    oh god! Your profile pic! aha--ah--ah mm-my-m-m-my eyes!! Melted! And you like metal!
    In a very bad way? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    get some sandpaper to make a graze! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    In a very bad way? :erm:
    Oh yeah.. you're so ugly you make my eyes melt... I think we know that's a lie :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.