Turn on thread page Beta

HELP NEEDED PLZ!is this too short for a university interview? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not really, bear in mind that you'll be sitting down, and skirts ride up.

It is really nice though! You could go for really totally opaque black tights with it perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    It's 48 cm., so unless you intend to wear it really high it's fine! Do make sure you wear it before the interview so that you know you feel comfortable in it Good luck with the interviews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *my-future's-bright*)
    LOL it depends on the course as well like at my first interview, people were colourful and got offers but maybe its because i'm doing fashion.. i would imagine for something like law or science or whatever, then pink might not be right ? i dunno...
    I'm fairly sure my response would be especially true if I were interviewing her for a fashion degree :curious:

I mean a pink fitted suit, really? Maybe if you wanted to work for Barbie Airlines...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    :lolwut:

If I was an interviewer I would reject you without even hearing you introduce yourself (unless you were applying to study gender studies and I thought you were being ironic/making a point, but somehow I doubt that describes you).
    sarcasm much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parfait-ego)
    sarcasm much?
    :zomg:
    An American who knows what sarcasm is?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    :zomg:
    An American who knows what sarcasm is?!
    a naive person who believes in a tiny bit of colour and shape on the internet to be reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'm fairly sure my response would be especially true if I were interviewing her for a fashion degree :curious:

I mean a pink fitted suit, really? Maybe if you wanted to work for Barbie Airlines...
    ohhh a suit, i thought she meant skirt lol.. erm i dunno, maybe it would depend on the shade of pink like it if was hot pink that might be a bit much but maybe a darker shade? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be fine with tights.

ReputationRep:
    Wear whatever you want. They're supposed to take you on your ability not what clothes you wear...

They're not like job interviews.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine. I wear shorter than that on a daily basis (not deliberately).

ReputationRep:
    I'd say too short, but then again it's unlikely to actually matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Wear whatever you want. They're supposed to take you on your ability not what clothes you wear...

They're not like job interviews.
    Worst advice ever!

They are deciding whether to let you spend 3/4/5 years of your life there. First impressions count and appearance is a large part of that impression. Its as much about your personality, your enthusiasm and general likability as your ability. They are very much like a job interview in that respect. In fact, they will already know your grades - and general abilities from your application. If university entry was purely about academics, they'd not bother with interviews at all.

Who would you pick for a place at your university or a position at your company.... the guy who looks like he rolled out of bed 20 minutes ago and put on the first clothes he found in the dark, or the guy wear a well fitted suit and looks smart? (assuming they are identical twins... identical background, identical experience, identical interview)

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is too short. Your penis will poke out.

ReputationRep:
    it'd be fine with tights - for my one of my Oxford interviews I wore a skirt about that length with fishnets, new rock goth boots and a shirt. I got a place at that college so, I guess it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    Worst advice ever!

They are deciding whether to let you spend 3/4/5 years of your life there. First impressions count and appearance is a large part of that impression. Its as much about your personality, your enthusiasm and general likability as your ability. They are very much like a job interview in that respect. In fact, they will already know your grades - and general abilities from your application. If university entry was purely about academics, they'd not bother with interviews at all.

Who would you pick for a place at your university or a position at your company.... the guy who looks like he rolled out of bed 20 minutes ago and put on the first clothes he found in the dark, or the guy wear a well fitted suit and looks smart? (assuming they are identical twins... identical background, identical experience, identical interview)
    I think interviews are to see how you think... grades don't really show this. Grades from exams show how good you are at exams. I don't think unis care how you look.

I didn't once wear a suit/formal clothing to any university interview. To my Cambridge one I wore skinny black jeans and a tshirt that said ' I love rock 'n' roll'. I still got pooled.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe that's why you got pooled instead of getting a place at that college?

Is it really that hard to dress smart to set a good impression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    Maybe that's why you got pooled instead of getting a place at that college?

Is it really that hard to dress smart to set a good impression?
    I don't think so... I don't think I didn't get a place because I wasn't wearing a suit. My grades were pretty bad compared to most Cam applicants and my head of year said I must have really impressed them at interview to get pooled.

Anyway, I am sticking by the fact that universities are hopefully more interested in your ability and interest in your subject rather than how smart you look. As long as you're clean and tidy and comfortable.

edit: And OP, the skirt is nice. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Way I see it is that there's 2 possible outcomes.... either they care or they don't care.

If you dress nice and they care... result. If you dress nice and they don't care... result.
    If you dress rubbish and they care... you fail. If you dress rubbish and they don't care... result.

See the outcome with most likely results?
    So if only 10% of interviewers cared.... would you really risk it? You have no way of knowing which type you're going to get.

ReputationRep:
    think it should be fine, might be longer if you haven't got as long a legs as the model, wear black tights with it, it does look smart

ReputationRep:
    It's totally fine, don't worry, I wore skinny jeans to my UCL interview and still got in!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.